<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: Championship | Somerset vs Yorkshire at Taunton (Day Three)

June 11 2017, 4:59 PM 

Isn't this the beauty of our team though?

first innings unlikely batting heroes included Hodd and the tail, with sidders doing it with the ball.

then in the second handscomb and ballance resuming normal service, but this time its patto taking the wickets!

A real team effort.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 11 2017, 5:10 PM 

extra half hour anyone?

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

June 11 2017, 5:47 PM 

Sadly, these two are taing the game away from us. Davies has previous in this regard.
Bowlers just not good enough.
But a valiant effort.
Has Bressie become a dad again yet? Will he & Coad be available/fit for the semi?

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

June 11 2017, 5:53 PM 

spinners having little impact worryingly

carver out of his depth

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 11 2017, 6:01 PM 

They will have to give Adam Lyth a go by the look of it.

I was hoping for a finish today, ah well.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 11 2017, 6:02 PM 

I know whose shoes I'd rather be in. A very long way to go.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

June 11 2017, 6:02 PM 

We were 213 for 4, they are (as I type) 98 for 4. At least give our spinners a chance, Jeeeeez this must be the MOST negative forum anywhere on the planet. I imagine the "I've just been chopped in half by a chainsaw, what's my chances" forum is more positive than this one!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 11 2017, 6:07 PM 

Anyone listening to the Somerset radio commentators will find we don't have a monopoly on negativity. Batting will be very hard tomorrow, I suspect.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 11 2017, 6:13 PM 

No doubt we are still favorites but a wicket to a spinner would be re-assuring.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 11 2017, 6:22 PM 

Davies is obviously the key wicket tomorrow. Gregory and the Overtons can biff it but I wouldn't back them to chase this.

A millar
(Login whiteroseforever)

June 11 2017, 6:55 PM 

Carver has really showed maturity . Looking more balanced than Rafique

This message has been edited by whiteroseforever on Jun 11, 2017 6:58 PM

(Login matthefish2002)

June 11 2017, 6:55 PM 

On the train back to Sheffield after todays play.
Another excellent day of County cricket.
Had the better of the first session then pinned back just after lunch.
Carver and Ballance partnership looked to put us in very good postion before the frustrating run out.
And having them at 48/4 looked like we might win today.
But still say 60/40 in YCCC favour.

Sure has been said on here before but what woeful sheduling we have a big one day game on Tuesday.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

June 11 2017, 7:30 PM 

Frustrating partnership, but all to play for.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 11 2017, 7:30 PM 

24to54 ---- We were 213 for 4, they are (as I type) 98 for 4. At least give our spinners a chance, Jeeeeez this must be the MOST negative forum anywhere on the planet. I imagine the "I've just been chopped in half by a chainsaw, what's my chances" forum is more positive than this one!

Reading the other cricket forums, this is actually one of the more optimistic ones. Most of the others are far worse than this one. I did find your forum name very amusing though!!

For what it is worth, after our opening day collapse and my subsequent remark of "this game is now gone", we have fought back very well and it`s probably 60/40 in our favour now, possibly 70/30.

Just hope Tim and Coad return on Tuesday or we will be going into the match with 7 of our best white ball players missing against a vg side.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 11, 2017 10:20 PM

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Re: Somerset vs Yorkshire (Day 3)

June 11 2017, 8:05 PM 

Stu, your comment reminds me of someone who commented on the first ashes test in 2015 how England "have lost this test in the first hour". We of course won the test and the ashes.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 11 2017, 8:48 PM 

I'm hopeful that after getting a few practice overs in today the two spinners will start to become a bit more effective tomorrow.

If the Seamers help out and get the two set batsmen out first thing, that would be excellent.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 11 2017, 9:09 PM 

Still think we're in the lead. Assume Sidebottom and Patto will take the first hour tomorrow, if we can start with say, 50 for 2, that would mean they need 100+ from their final four wickets.

I have little faith in our spinners, Rafiq has no recent form in red ball cricket, Carver is very inexperienced and with only moderate 2nd team figures behind him. Both may get wickets as both will bowl some good balls and there's evidently some help from the pitch but they'll go for runs. Just hope the wickets come early! They're unlikely to bowl long economical spells.

If we win it'll be a good one, it's a spin friendly pitch and their spinners are significantly better than ours. Need to keep in tight to bring the second new ball into play.

A lot with depend on how well Sidebottom bowls, how well we catch and maybe an LBW shout (or two) going our way.

It'll be tight, I think we'll edge it.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jun 11, 2017 9:13 PM

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

June 11 2017, 9:16 PM 

Yorkshire definitely on top. Somerset need another 30 runs before they even get half way towards their target.

JG
(Login _JG_)

June 11 2017, 11:22 PM 

I too would make Yorkshire slight favourites, as do the bookies. Comparing the sides' scores at various points can be instructive, but in this case are we confident that our spinners can put the squeeze on Somerset's middle and lower order in the same way that they did to us? I'm not too sure. In the absence of Rashid, spin remains our weak point; other than a brief purple patch at the end of the 2012 season I feel that Rafiq has always struggled to take wickets when the onus is not on the batsmen to attack him, while I've not yet seen anything from Carver to suggest that he's ready for first team cricket. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I suspect our seamers are going to have to do much of the heavy lifting again tomorrow if we are to close this one out.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 12 2017, 12:04 AM 

160 runs to get and six wickets to get them with.
I'd rather not be in Somerset's shoes.

But, this is an eminently get-able target. A lot will depend on how the cookie crumbles tomorrow. How lucky will an Overton be when a hoick goes just wide of deep mid-on's outstretched hands? Will a nick on to the pads escape an umpire's notice? Will Lyth drop another slip catch?

Sidebottom was right off form this evening, and it weakened us to a disturbing extent. Good to see Patto in the wickets of course, and for Waite to get a key man out -- but, our four wickets were mostly down to Somerset's top order's woeful choice of stroke. Ballance said that their spinners had used the strong wind to get drift as well as spin -- I wonder (and doubt) if Carver and Rafiq can do the same, or even if the same wind will be blowing tomorrow. It ain't going to be easy, unless a bowler steps up and something major changes from today.

That said, today was great cricket again. Ballance was wonderful. i saw his 200 against Hampshire, and honestly think this 98 n.o. was every bit as good, while being completely different. One Yorkshire colleague in the crowd remarked 'That was an innings worthy of Boycott'. He was right, and that was a phrase I would never have expected applied to Gary Ballance. I think he spent 12 or 13 overs 'marooned' on 57. Yet, at the time, nothing mattered more than that he stayed there. Somebody had to dig in with him as Bess and Leach ripped through our middle/lower order, in order to free up Ballance to score -- and it turned out to be Karl Carver. If we scrape victory tomorrow, and Carver has no wickets, he will still have played a major role for the team, with the bat in both innings. But when it comes to spinners, I think I'm going to remember this game for the first time I saw Dom Bess bowl. He's great to watch.

The morning session was ours; after lunch was theirs; getting from 200 ahead to 260 ahead (Ballance and Carver) was ours; getting them to 49/4 was ours; then the last hour was theirs. Five distinct stretches of play, each one of them enthralling, and splitting 3:2 in our favour. That's how the day panned out.

I'm very nervous about tomorrow. It can only turn out to be a second, and humiliating, defeat, or a win that marks us as championship contenders. There's no halfway house tomorrow, no honour-saving draw. All or nothing time.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk