<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Somerset vs Yorkshire at Taunton (Day Four)

June 12 2017 at 4:49 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 9-12, 2017 - at County Ground, Taunton

Yorkshire 202 & 283 Somerset 224 & 101-4 (36 overs, target: 262)
Somerset require another 161 runs with 6 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary | TBA
Taunton

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Championship | Somerset vs Yorkshire at Taunton (Day Four)

June 12 2017, 8:10 AM 

Big first hour.

I fancy our seamers to get the breakthrough more than the spinners who don't seem to have the confidence of Ballance (or me) which makes the selection of two spinners rather than Brooks as a strange decision.

I hope Davies doesn't read the forum as we had a thread a few weeks back about his dismal start with the bar for Somerset....

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 12 2017, 8:48 AM 

I think we'll be okay - Sidebottom will get his mojo back and a couple of wickets in the first hour should calm some nerves..

(Login matthefish2002)

June 12 2017, 8:58 AM 

Cant help but feel today could be the key day of the whole season.
Win and will be clear favourites to win the championship and take the momentum hopefully into tomorrows 50 over QF.
Lose and I feel we may have too much to make up in the Championship and morale low for tomorrow.
Will be checking the scores nervously at work today.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 12 2017, 9:06 AM 

Hoping it's not a repeat of the Hampshire game in fourth innings

(Login ExiledinNotts)

June 12 2017, 9:23 AM 

A dull start to the day here in Taunton also had some overnight rain. Looking forward to us getting a decent start.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 12 2017, 9:30 AM 

Scoring will not be easy here, so even if we go periods without taking a wicket it will be difficult for Somerset to get a real foothold.

Fully expect us to win by 50-60 runs.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 12 2017, 9:34 AM 

Still optimistic.

I'll take run outs, hit wicket, handled ball or whatever, but would really like one or both of the spinners to be involved in taking some wickets.

Hope Gary being left stranded on 98 isn't a bad omen for the outcome of this match.

If we don't get over the line I shall just whistle a happy tune and remember I was almost born in Chesterfield!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 12 2017, 10:00 AM 

We have the better seamers in this game (Patto looks back to his best and Sidders (excepting his poor spell yesterday) is head and shoulders above anything else on offer.

Our spinners may not be as incisive as theirs, but why would they be? They don't get the opportunity to bowl - how many overs did Rafiq bowl in the last game, and how many overs has be bowled this season compared with say Leach? We can't expect our spinners to be as good as theirs if they don't get the overs under their belts at the highest level.

We are in a very good position - clear favourites. Someone said that a defeat would be humiliating. I would suggest that if Somerset do beat us, they will ultimately have played the better cricket in home conditions. No shame in that.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 12 2017, 10:07 AM 

It will be a twitchy day. We could win, but could also lose. Could well be an important day in the CC. Lancashire & Essex both are in strong positions and could win, so we could be nearer the bottom than the top if we lose today.

No predictions from me, as to close to call. We need a couple of wickets in the first 1/2 hr, then things will get less twitchy.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 12 2017, 10:25 AM 

Have to look to keep it tight if we aren't taking wickets, don't go searching. Buy ourselves as many overs as possible with the 2nd new ball if we need it!

(Login Yorkshire_Fan)

Cut them some slack

June 12 2017, 11:04 AM 

For the past 4 days, all I have seen is our spinners be slated.

Rafiq is not taking wickets at the rate he is in white ball cricket. This is a fact, but he is not bowling badly. As for batting he has been very irrational and silly When given a bat.Rafiq looks to have a chip on his shoulder and sometimes that works for him and he manages to break through and get wickets, however in this game, he is looking like he is lacking something. Then again, he has been bowling. A lot more than our other spinner Carver which may not be a good thing.

On the other hand Carver who is playing his first Champo game of the year may not be living up to expectations of a spinner to many on here as some comments have arisen claiming he is 'out of his depth'. Give the lad a chance. He has only bowled 8 overs so far and in his first spell took a wicket after only 2 overs. He isn't a batter either and has helped us gain more runs further down the order by looking mature and positive.

Hopefully they both can get a few more overs today as it is true our spinners are not played as much as other counties which there is no wonder they do not perform maybe as well as they could or expected by fans.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

June 12 2017, 11:40 AM 

Looks like a nice day down there, could make batting a bit easier sadly

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 12 2017, 11:43 AM 

Little bit more twitchier now, no wickets in the first 1/2hr.

Still 33 overs to the new ball, we have got to give ourselves a chance of using it, by restricting their scoring to less than 3 an over, as we may need it.

It is a good point you make Yorkshire fan re our spinners, they have not bowled a lot this season and that lack of bowling could mean the difference between winning and losing this match. Their spinners are no better than ours but they have the big advantage of having bowled a lot this season whereas our two have probably only bowled between them less than 20 overs all season.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 12, 2017 11:55 AM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 12 2017, 11:54 AM 

I'm afraid batting is not looking difficult. Both seamers bowled well but without much assistance or luck. One poor over from Rafiq, taken off at once.

Now on at the other end.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Jun 12, 2017 11:58 AM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 12 2017, 12:07 PM 

This is starting to slip away, unfortunately.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 12 2017, 12:09 PM 

It is getting a bit worrying isn't it. I agree re spinners. Swings and roundabouts. I note that Somerset have the same number of bowling points as us going into this game but have not been able to win a game (yet). Their spinners may get more chances to bowl but have not yet forced a victory, whereas Coad and Sidebottom in particular have undoubtedly contributed to our wins.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 12 2017, 12:10 PM 

We need a wicket NOW....

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 12 2017, 12:13 PM 

Right, I have work to do. Im not going to look at the score again until lunchtime. I hope to see that they are seven down by then.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 12 2017, 12:14 PM 

Their scoring rate now will probably rule out us getting the second new ball, so our spinners have to get us 6 wickets PDQ.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk