<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: Championship | Somerset vs Yorkshire at Taunton (Day Four)

June 12 2017, 11:07 PM 

I too could only half-follow due to work commitments- probably for the best on this occasion! Bit close for comfort but we got over the line in the end: a great win considering the challenging conditions and absentees, and in the context of the season a vital one too.

I think the Rafiq debate is relevant FWIW; if Lyth's part-time off-spin is preferred in such a crucial period I can't see much future for Azeem in red ball cricket. This could open a slot for Rhodes, who seems to have been churning runs out for the second team whenever I have seen their scores, and would allow Bresnan to slip back down to 7 and regain some form. Something like:

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Rhodes
Bresnan
Hodd
Bowler
Bowler
Bowler

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 12 2017, 11:35 PM 

You now have to throw Kohler-Cadmore into the mix as well, JG.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 13 2017, 12:03 AM 

there is a report verified by my friends on the ground that rafa was severely hampered by an injury. he was seen being assisted to the team coach by the support staff. this may explain the reliance on adam lyth which happily came good in the end.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 13 2017, 12:07 AM 

Back in Bradford after the long drive from Taunton. It's late, but it's such a pleasure to relive the day reading through the WRF!

This was a great game of cricket, and I feel privileged to have seen most of all four days. Friday's crossword still hasn't had a look in. Couldn't keep your eyes off the play. Four middling 200-odd scores, and no-one got a century, and there were no spectacular 7-for bowling performances, no stars and no celebrities, some 40-year olds who ought to be past it (Tresco, Sidders), some callow youths (Waite, Hose, Carver, Bess) who might be thought lucky to be there ... and an utterly, utterly brilliant game of cricket.

Everything that's been said about this Yorkshire team's depth and resilience and commitment is right. And about bringing on youth, and about how someone steps up, often a different someone, and someone who's been out of touch. There were special, almost ironic, things about the game as well. Karl Carver didn't spin us to victory, but you can say he damn near batted us to it (twice), and then ... 'Carver's catch not Carver's match' (nice one!). Adam Lyth could have easily cost us the game -- a missed catch in each innings -- but he made it all up, not with the bat but with a polished, sustained bowling performance, under pressure as well. Ryan Sidebottom was just as off-colour this morning as he was yesterday evening, but then suddenly, when it mattered so much, given a 76-over old ball he dug deep and turned into the Ryan we all know and love. And not forgetting Gary Ballance yesterday, playing a Boycott innings, not a Ballance innings.

Yorkshire did well, and the odds were lengthened against us not just by our England calls and Bressie's newborn, but by knowing that the Somerset spinners outclass our spinners, and that it would be a spinners' wicket ... then, worse, having won the toss so we could make them bat fourth, the damn pitch didn't do what it was supposed to do, and offered no extra help to the spinners on the last day! Against all this, Yorkshire did very, very well.

There's a 'but' coming, and it's a big but. Somerset did not deserve to lose. It will be tragic if they get relegated this year as a result. They got the downside of nearly all the marginal decisions. We had five LBWs in their first innings, and four in the second. I was in a great place to see them, and thought they were all fair -- except perhaps Leach's when they were 250 for 8 this afternoon. Yes it looked out, but the ball swung mightily and it was high, clipping the bails perhaps. There was surely doubt, and if the benefit had gone to the batsman it would not have been remarked by anybody as a dodgy decision. Their seventh wicket (Craig Overton) was caught behind. He clearly thought he had missed it, and that the sound was his bat on the ground. Long hard stare at the end of his bat as he went off, copying Adam's minor dissent from yesterday. So when his brother stood his ground at the end, hoping for a bump ball decision, it was because Somerset felt the umpires owed them one.

They had a dozen or more LBW appeals against us turned down yesterday. Mainly because Ballance was planting his pad a long way down the pitch when forward defensive to Leach, so the umpire had to (repeatedly) give him the benefit of the doubt with the straight ones. It was all deeply frustrating for a Somerset side who have had to put up with a lot this year, to say nothing of memories of Yorks v Middx!

One last thought. We got five penalty runs yesterday when the ball hit the helmet. We ran two -- they must have been byes, because they weren't counted as runs (we got 5, not 7 -- but I'm a bit vague on the rules here).

Five minus two is three. If that helmet had been two inches to the left, this match would have been a tie.

That would have been a fair result. And, honestly, I would have felt better walking away from the ground with those eight points under our belt, and Somerset eight points nearer safety. In large part because I want to be able to go to Taunton's lovely ground again next year, and have the opportunity to smile happily at the (extremely gracious and pleasant) locals while asking "Were you here at that great, great game last year?"

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 13 2017, 12:17 AM 

Jeez what an excellent post. Thanks for your reports this week. Brilliant.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 13 2017, 12:20 AM 

Dewsburian -- credit to you for the "Carver's catch' bon mot!

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 13 2017, 3:51 AM 

As to the query re. the busiest (page view traffic) day in WRF history: September 22, 2016.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 13 2017, 7:56 AM 

Ah yes..
Toby's hat trick i suspect......?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 13 2017, 8:23 AM 

22nd was actually day 3 of that game, so it must've been Bressie's hundred and gaining the batting points we required.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 13 2017, 8:36 AM 

Many thanks to all for the excellent reports from the ground, particularly to WS55, Monkwood and Idle Man yesterday. Having originally intended to go (and to visit an old cricketing friend in Wiltshire on the way back), I had to miss this one due to pressures of work.
Was anyone else reminded of a win Yorkshire had at Taunton a few years back with a similarly weakened team? I remember big contributions then from Pyrah and Patterson (both of them "fringe" players at the time) and raucous celebrations at the end.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 13 2017, 8:41 AM 

're 5 penalty runs. The ball is dead the instant the ball hits the helmet. So no extra runs are scored.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 13 2017, 11:30 AM 

Thanks Marsker. That applies whether it's runs or byes?

I thought Ballance edged it, and it was nearly played on, scooting past the stumps and the keeper on to the helmet.

So the other outcome of the helmet being two inches to the left would have been that Gary would have had a century, as well as the match being tied.

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 7 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk