<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

One Day Cup QF | Yorkshire vs Surrey at Leeds (Match Thread)

June 13 2017 at 3:39 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Jun 13, 2017 - 2nd Quarter-Final at Headingley, Leeds (day/night)

YORKSHIRE from: Ballance, Bresnan, Brooks, Carver, Coad, Fisher, Handscomb(wkt), Leaning, Lees, Lyth, Patterson, Rafiq, Rhodes, Waite.

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Re: One Day Cup QF | Yorkshire vs Surrey at Leeds (Match Thread)

June 13 2017, 5:38 AM 

I thought that the ECB might release Bairstow for this match, so he could get practice with carrying drinks for the England match.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 13 2017, 7:57 AM 

Do we know if Bressie is definitely available....?

(Login dpressed)

June 13 2017, 8:08 AM 

The Champions Trophy rules don't allow players to be released

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 13 2017, 8:36 AM 

Can i suggest that for today we focus on the players actually playing rather than the players missing...?
Win, lose or draw - lets back the team on the pitch rather than lament the players that are missing..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 13 2017, 9:01 AM 

For me, though I haven't been right very often!

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb (wk)
Ballance (c)
Leaning (last chance saloon)
Bresnan
Rhodes
Waite
Carver (presuming Rafa is unfit)
Fisher
Coad

The bowlers should be fresh anyway.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 13 2017, 9:13 AM 

I'd go with:

Lyth
Lees
Leaning
Handscomb wk
Ballance c
Bresnan
Waite
Rafiq/Rhodes
Fisher
Carver
Coad

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 13 2017, 9:42 AM 

Lyth
Lees
Leaning
Handscomb wk
Ballance c
Bresnan
Waite
Rafiq/Rhodes
Fisher
Carver
Coad

Only issue with this team is that there is really only one experienced bowler. Coad is coming back from his sore shins. Patto is possibly the unsung hero of the Somerset game - he was back to his mean best and chipped in with wickets. We always shy away from him in the shorter form of the game, but his record is actually decent in 50 overs cricket(he had a decent season last year as I recall). I would be tempted to give him a game, taking the Carver/Rafiq slot. I would prefer him to Brooks if we were going down that route.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 13 2017, 9:53 AM 

Yeah, I understand your point. However this season we have always played 2 spinners and 4 seamers, and Rafiq and Carver have done well when used. Patterson played two matches this year, 0-33 from 4 overs and 3-67 from 10, so he hasn't been very economical. Coad has done well, so if fit he plays for me. Waite is in. Then it's between Fisher, Bresnan and Patterson for two places.

Another difficult selection, but caused by good performances from our young bowlers forcing their way into the first XI.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 13 2017, 9:59 AM 

I agree on form thus far this season, Patto would not merit selection. I just got the feeling that he was back to somewhere near is best in the Somerset game. Maybe he comes in for Coad if there are any lingering doubts about his fitness.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 13 2017, 10:02 AM 

Lots of Surrey left handers for Rafa to go at.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 13 2017, 10:08 AM 

That's a good suggestion Steve, but let's not stifle the right for folk to express a view or an opinion. It seems to happen quite a bit on this forum at times, a sense of old thought police brigade.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 13 2017, 10:10 AM 

I don't think Patterson the worst shout given the likely overcast conditions, i'd be half tempted. The past 4 days work might count against him though and not great in the field at the best of times.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 13 2017, 10:17 AM 

I'd pick Brooks as he will be fresh and he has a spark about him. We need wickets to win today or Sanga and Stoneman will just bat through.

For me it's a case of whether or big 3 will do better than theirs. Lyth Ballance and Handscomb will need to outbat Sanga Stoneman and Borthwick

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 13 2017, 10:25 AM 

Patterson's figures at Worcester don't fully reflect his contribution. He was the bowler who pulled it back when Worcs. were getting away.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 13 2017, 10:55 AM 

Tim`s wife has still not had their child, so he may be missing. Also a possibility that Rafa is injured,
according to reports.

I think the team will be

Lyth, Lees, Hanscomb, Ballance, Leaning, Waite, Rhodes, Fisher, Carver, Coad, Patterson or Brooks.

Patto would be the most economical of the two, but Brooks would be more likely to get wickets early on, but would be a lot more expensive.

With Stoneman, Borthwick & Sangakkarra in early, Brooks would be the best option for me. If any of those 3 get settled, Surrey will get a massive score.

The other alternative is to bat first, rack up a big score ourselves, then let scoreboard pressure do it`s work.

It will boil down to Hanscomb & Ballance v Stoneman (who always scores big against us), Borthwick & Sanga.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 13 2017, 11:00 AM 

Jay it was request and a suggestion - nothing more..
Its a Yorkshire cricket trait i think - perhaps all clubs are the same - we used to spend hours comparing our current team to previous players. Now we spend hours comparing our team on the pitch with the team we could field in an ideal world.
Sometimes i just think its important to recognise the contribution of the lads actually out on the pitch...

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 13 2017, 11:20 AM 

Fair point Steve, in regards the current side, 'they've got the spirit, don't loose the feeling or take the shock away' that's for sure.

(Login KennyShovel)

June 13 2017, 12:07 PM 

Regarding comments about Borthwick - worth noting that whilst he's opened a couple of times for Surrey in the RLCup he's mostly played at six. Batting in white ball cricket isn't his strength, he's not generally a quick scorer. Tempting fate to say that I know.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 13 2017, 12:17 PM 

True - doesn't Borthwick normally bat at 8 or 9 in T20 games?!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 58 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk