AuthorReply
sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Harry Brook in a rich vein of form

June 14 2017, 1:42 PM 

Link to the live scorecard

https://www.totalcricketscorer.com/TCSLive/TCSScorecard.aspx?id=59382

Today is day 2 - decent report on the Lancs site from where the above link is taken.

Very factual report from day 1 on the Yorks OS.

This is shaping up into an old fashioned three day game - perhaps a YCCC declaration around tea today giving Lancs a lead of say 75 / 100, declaration tomorrow setting up a run chase.

Harry Brook does appear to be quiet a talent in the making (key words 'in the making').

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 14 2017, 2:51 PM 

Brook has gone to his hundred. Perhaps he should get a trip to Lord's next week, just as they took Bairstow to Hove as 13th or 14th man the year before he was actually brought into the team.

On 129 n.o. now (at 15.20). Eventually stumped for 161 off 220 balls.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Jun 14, 2017 4:15 PM

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Harry Brook in a rich vein of form

June 14 2017, 4:27 PM 

Brook finally out for 161, including 5 sixes and 15 fours.
No other second team batsman has caught the eye so far this season, and Brook is the youngest of them.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 14 2017, 4:36 PM 

In three weeks time v Somerset at Scarborough, and Ballance gets picked for the tests, our first 5 will be Brook, Lyth, Lees, Hanscomb, & KC. Just a hunch!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 14, 2017 4:36 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 14 2017, 5:56 PM 

If he's good enough he's old enough as they say.

Judgement call whether to stick with Lees or try something new.

I know Lees scored more than 1000 championship runs last season but he's going to have to go some to reach anything like that figure on his current form.

For me he seems unable to learn and keeps getting out repeating the same mistakes.

Might be an opportunity to play Brook during the Surrey game when we hopefully have the re-assurance of Root, Bairstow and Rashid to strengthen the batting.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

June 14 2017, 8:27 PM 

I would like to see him given a chance soon. You only get the experience by playing. Yorkshire are integrating a number of young bowlers into the squad, so another batter would be handy. @ Scarborough v Somerset may be a possibility given our likely absences.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 14 2017, 8:49 PM 

I haven't seen him this season so hard to comment but I'd be surprised if he made the first team this season.

I think we're being a little unfair on Alex Lees - he stays in my first team for sometime yet. However as I've mentioned before Rhodes must be close to a game batting at 5 in place of Leaning.

My prediction above about how this game might play out looks way of the mark - looks like we're going for the innings win.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jun 14, 2017 8:52 PM

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 14 2017, 8:50 PM 

Not the best of starts for our new signing!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Harry Brook in a rich vein of form

June 14 2017, 9:23 PM 

Academy captain, Jordan Thompspn, also a centurion, at a run a ball. Yorkshire's lead is over a hundred.

Reg
(Login Reg123)

Do averages count?

June 15 2017, 12:02 AM 

Lees has has a better CC average than Lyth so far this season, indeed better than Hameed and Gubbins. Despite this, he is the one to drop not Lyth? When Lees had a knock in the seconds he rattled out 120 or so at Harrogate and was by far the best looking batsmen on the pitch. Not suggesting he is having a great season so far but there are worse examples in our 4 day team. In truth I can see him moving on in the not too distant future and fully expect him to prosper wherever he lands.

JH
(Login harg49)

June 15 2017, 11:54 AM 

I have watched the game at Scarborough over the last 2 days, as usual a very good track and some encouraging performances from a number of our players against a much more experienced Lancashire team. Both Wainman and Barnes bowled well, James took 5 wkts I think, but Barnes bowled equally well without too much luck.
As for Harry Brook I have only seen fleeting glimpses of him previously so this was the first time I have been able to watch him bat for any real length of time. I agree fully with those who subscribe to not hyping young players up too quickly but there can be no doubt that Yorkshire have got a special talent. It was not just the runs he accumulated but the manner of his batting,watchful defence and then some stunning drives coupled with his maturity at the crease, he never looked like getting out until he lost his footing when facing Lilley and was stumped. I heard the description - majestic - used to describe his innings yesterday and it certainly was. Noticable that at least half a dozen of the Lancashire players ran to congratulate him yesterday as he walked off. There is a world of difference in quality and intensity between Championship cricket and 2nd eleven and he is only 18 but he looks ready and equipped to step up. A mention for Jordan Thompson who I think was short of runs earlier this year but also scored an impressive century later in the day with some clean hitting against a tiring attack. As for Tom Kohler Cadmore he's not had much action so far, spent all of day one at 1st slip and never saw the ball, yesterday only faced 4 balls before nicking one when facing Proctor, felt quite sorry for him as he trudged off but that's the game. Quite a decent attendance on both days and glorious weather, very enjoyable.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk