<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Alex Lees

June 15 2017, 2:51 PM 

My final restatement: the issue for me was not whether Alex is a worthwhile member of the team (he is an automatic choice), but whether at the moment he is a less than happy one.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

June 15 2017, 4:41 PM 

Hopefully we as a club can get the best out of him. Alex clearly has talent and we need to back our own as a club as we don't go out and get players from outside too often. Brooks, Willey, KC are isolated instances rather than a general trend.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

June 15 2017, 4:44 PM 

Not sure I would go with the suggestion of Lees being one of the top young players in the country.

Having said that, he is a good young player, and before the clamour for Brook to play gathers pace (he does look very good admittedly) remember Brooks runs are second eleven runs.

When I saw Lee's make his hundred for seconds at Harrogate, he looked a total class apart. Second eleven runs.....

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 15 2017, 4:57 PM 

Totally irrelevant, but just discovered there was a 70's rock band called Patto. Must investigate obviously.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Alex Lees

June 15 2017, 5:06 PM 

Alex is 24 but has a lot of cricket behind him now for someone so young. He has played five full seasons as a regular now and also has captaincy experience. When you think about it him and Wainman signed pro contracts the same and look at the different amount of cricket they have played up to now(I know they play entirely different roles).
Stoneman is 30 in a couple of weeks and looks like he is now the finished product. If all goes well Alex should still be improving and hopefully we get to see the best of him as a Yorkshire player over the next few years(England permitting). There would be nothing worse than seeing him leave and blossom somewhere else.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 15 2017, 5:28 PM 

What if he wants to play more white ball Cricket?

A chance he doesn't play even a handful of T20s this season.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 15 2017, 5:44 PM 

There seems to be a lot of knee jerking and rumour mill turning on here at the moment, just as we're starting to hit a bit of form in the Championship.

It started a couple of weeks ago with Shaun Marsh and Miller suddenly being included in "best xi" debates. Ballance seems to be in the Test team weeks before it's announced. Lees is/should be out thanks to a "Gale clique", with a young whippersnapper set to replace him and score runs at will.

Not saying any of this won't happen but I come on here for a bit of perspective and realism and would like it to stay that way. Rant over happy.gif

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 15 2017, 6:28 PM 

Fine, 12th man, but a bit of perspective includes not making out that one person's remark ('Gale clique') is typical, or overreacting. I now have some considerable reservations about my part in this discussion, but the 'perspective' has shown the forum to be in support of Alex Lees, as it should be.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Jun 15, 2017 6:29 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 15 2017, 6:50 PM 

A forum is what it should be, encourging healthy debate and diversity of opinion. I feel that sometimes on here it gets a little dictorial.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 15 2017, 6:59 PM 

Spot on Jay. I think this is a good thread.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 15 2017, 7:25 PM 

This is where the coaches earn their money. We don't want to lose what could be an outstanding talent, and it's very possible he could produce an avalanche of runs when he gets his head together. Someone in the Headingley backroom will know what makes him tick much better than we do. I certainly don't want to lose him at such an early age, unless he has set his mind on leaving, and I find that heard to believe.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 15 2017, 7:51 PM 

Regarding the nature of threads: well informed comment and discussion is great. Ill informed speculation and guess work isn't. My personal opinion is that this discussion has stayed the right side of that divide.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 15 2017, 8:28 PM 

Can i add Dictorial and Headnigleey to the misspelled X1.
God knows what we'll do if Cola Kadmaw ever gets selected....

I like watching Alex bat.
Hes a good player - he just needs to start enjoying his cricket again...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Enjoying his cricket!

June 15 2017, 8:40 PM 

That's a very good point.

I probably won't be around when Alex writes his autobiography, but if I were, and if it's full of bile and resentment about this period of his Yorkshire career, I would have to ask him why he stayed.

This is 2017 not the 1960's.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Its true...

June 15 2017, 8:46 PM 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patto

Now all we need to do is find a cricketer called King-Crimson-Soft-Machine....

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 15 2017, 10:47 PM 

Thanks Steve. He had an unreleased album called 'Monkey's Bum'??!! I can't imagine anything less Patto-like. Boxer I do remember vaguely, but have no memory of what they sounded like.

And yes, in the end a good thread, with various sensible judgements on Alex. My prediction too would be that he'll score a lot of runs for us.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 15 2017, 11:56 PM 

Many thanks for highlighting the grammar issues Steve! true to form, as facetious (hoping I spelt that correctly) as ever.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 16 2017, 7:12 AM 

"Dictorial", the adjective from "dictor" or speaker, is used in linguistics and linguistic philosophy (e.g. the work of R.M. Hare). It's a perfectly proper word and is spelt correctly here, but I'm not sure how it applies to this forum.
On the subject of Alex Lees, is there really such a huge problem here or is this one of those discussions that wouldn't have happened if his big heave into the outfield on Tuesday had gone sailing over the boundary rope instead of down Pope's throat?

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

Patto's People

June 16 2017, 8:20 AM 

From Wikipedia:
Timebox developed from a complicated pedigree that included members of The Bo Street Runners, Patto's People and Chicago Blue Line.

I think we have a new name for the NLOP brigade (either that or some really low-grade interval entertainment for the T20 competition).

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 16 2017, 8:29 AM 

The debate been brewing long before Tuesday.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk