<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Alex Lees

June 16 2017, 9:15 AM 

I'm sorry Jay - i wasnt being facetious - or i hoped i wasn't . I'm sorry if it came across that way.
I can never spell Headingley - i never know if it has a second e in it and after so many years of not being sure i now have no real idea..
I also have to google whether its Scarbrough or Scarborough every time.

I was quite enjoying the cricket/vs Seventies prog rock theme.
Emerson Lake and (Roy) Palmer..?

(And incidentally - did you notice the guy being interviewed on the News last night in a Doctors of Madness T Shirt - does anyone remember them.....?)

This message has been edited by stevecowton on Jun 16, 2017 9:24 AM

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 16 2017, 9:29 AM 

I can only assume that Patto's 1972 album "Roll `em Smoke `em Put Another Line Out" is a tribute to his bowling.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 16 2017, 9:48 AM 

'On the subject of Alex Lees, is there really such a huge problem here or is this one of those discussions that wouldn't have happened if his big heave into the outfield on Tuesday had gone sailing over the boundary rope instead of down Pope's throat?

It didn't help obviously, but he has a lot of previous trying and failing to take on the longest boundary on the pitch!

Most telling to me is the silence he walked off to, again, not for the first time.

It's obviously anathema to many but I have no problem with people, even cricketers, changing jobs if they feel they are not appreciated and can do better elsewhere.

If 2 years down the line a contented Alex Lees is captain of Derbyshire, playing in all formats, I can live with that.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 16 2017, 10:10 AM 

I would hope Alex is still looking at following in Joe's footsteps as he has the potential and ability to do so. It's perhaps just an issue of temperament and the mental side of things.

For clarity, I mean Root and not Sayers. I think it would be disappointing if his career followed Slow Joe Sayers, or worse still he ended up skippering a division 2 side.

A number of our players cone under the microscope and receive criticism at a time when they probably need support and guidance.

Rashid has wanted to leave and be rested. Rafiq had a well publicised spat with Abrahams. Gale has had run ins with umpires and Lancastrian Kolpaks. Lyth is criticised for flashing outside the off stump when his cover drive is a joy to behold if he connects correctly. Mags was slated when he was a walking lbw and wanted to go to Sussex. Wardlaw was an honest trier but often accused of being in the team on nepotism grounds and Hodd and Guy have both had tons of negative comments as they can't quite live up to being Johnny Bairstow.

Dizzy would have probably handled this differently to Gale. Moxon must understand better than most as a former opening bat. I would take Alex out the firing line in the t20s and tell him he is wanted, to concentrate on four day cricket and to play with a smile again. It only seems like yesterday when I saw him presented with his first team cap on the outfield before play with proud Mum and sister I think. It's too soon for that to be deemed a wrong decision.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 16 2017, 10:15 AM 

The players themselves are interested in T20 Cricket, despite many on here not being.

I don't think it will be very easy for Alex sat on the sidelines just watching a side he captained to Final's day last season.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 16 2017, 10:53 AM 

Well he will have some good company to give him advice while watching as I suspect Siddy, Brooks, Patto will all be there with him.

I think some players will need to decide which way they go and based on his technique shown so far it's clear to me that Lees has a better chance of a successful career in the longer formats.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 16 2017, 12:42 PM 

I was well past thirty (and batting at a place called Earlswood) when I discovered that you can "hit yourself back into form" as a batsman. In my case, it was probably because, when I was short on confidence, my weight wasn't travelling into the ball. I was often captaining teams, which makes it hard to give yourself licence to attack with gay abandon, as we used to say, but it's a bit of an indictment of my thinking powers that I didn't solve the problem earlier.
With all that in mind, I think the T20 might serve Alex better than the 50-over format. After all, when he connects with the ball, it can go a long way. And nobody's going to worry too much about whether he "rotated the strike", which is a legitimate concern in the 50-over game.
I had a long chat with an ex-Derbyshire player over the winter. He was a very nice man from a somewhat different era, but I'd still have to say that no player of real talent should ever be consigned to captaining Derbyshire.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 1:45 PM 

Kim Barnett....?
Dominic Cork..?

Yeah.
Fair point.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 16 2017, 2:31 PM 

Chris Adams....

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 16 2017, 2:39 PM 

Doctors of Madness? Once saw them supporting Be-bop Deluxe. The Doctors were rather the more enjoyable act of the evening. A huge bloke with blue hair?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 3:08 PM 

He was called Richard Strange - i suspect he still is.......

My brother had a copy of Axe Victim which had a brilliant cover. Years later i promoted a concert by Bill Nelson who spent literally 90 minutes tuning his guitar and didn't speak to anyone for the whole day..

What was Be Bop Deluxe's only hit record ? (Without the benefit of Google)

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 16 2017, 3:26 PM 

They had a hit? Passed me by. Should have been 'Adventures In a Yorkshire landscape' but I'm sure it wasn't.

Saw Bill Nelson with his Practical Dreamers in Leeds in 1981: great gig.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 16 2017, 3:55 PM 

Ships in the Night?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 3:59 PM 

Excellent work -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1HAo53224

And before anyone suggests that this is any way off topic - Bill was born in Wakefield and now lives in York (apparently) which makes it entirely relevant (almost) for a Yorkshire Forum..

(Login dpressed)

June 16 2017, 8:36 PM 

The best ever Derbysdhire captain was South African .. the Eddie Barlow led team won some limited overs cups.

And wasn't Maid In Heaven a top 40 hit for Be-Bop Delux??

Lees has been removed from the slips because he was dropping too many. I do worry that he's going to be another Matthew Wood, good in some seasons but awful in others

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 16 2017, 11:15 PM 

Just a reminder of my take on Lees most recent CC innings -- our second innings at Taunton. I think he scored "only" 38.

"Their bowling was good (see above) and for an hour or more the light was poor. But we got bat solidly on ball -- especially Alex Lees, who looked good, and played a proper opener's innings. Solid defence, sensible leaves, and taking his opportunities for the occasional imperious thump of the ball to the boundary. Not to take anything away from Handscomb, who added a bit of Aussie aggression and flair, but it was Lees' innings that was the best bit of the day for me."

Is he really only 22? Seems to have been a part of the scenery already for quite some time.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 16 2017, 11:25 PM 

... and as for Patto, did you see their bass guitarist was a C. Griffiths?

Wonder if that was a second career for the West Indian paceman?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Alex Lees

June 16 2017, 11:42 PM 

Alex Lees is actually 24.

In addition we seem to have trouble with final 's'. The West Indian bowler was Charlie Griffith.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 17 2017, 9:07 AM 

But his brother Terry adopted the final "s"....

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 21 2017, 2:25 PM 

Time for a breather?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk