<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Alex Lees

June 15 2017 at 9:10 AM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Lots of concentration on Alex Lees on a few other threads.

It may well be that a move away from the Club is in the best interests of all parties, but that's something only the coaches and the player can sort out.

From a cricketing viewpoint he is either suffering from loss of form or loss of confidence or both. On a personal level who knows!

At the moment he is a decent but not top class opening batsman in CC cricket who will probably be first choice unless or until somebody better becomes available. That might well be as early as next season.

I don't see him as having any role in white ball cricket unless we are down to the bare bones due to International calls in 50 overs and never, ever, in T20.

It's a mute point whether he is going backwards but he doesn't seem to be improving with age.

A vote of thanks but no wailing or gnashing of teeth from me if he goes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Alex Lees

June 15 2017, 9:18 AM 

For christs sake why are we so bloody keen to advocate players move away from Yorkshire just because they lose a bit of form? The guy is a decent four day player, a future county captain and a potential England player so why do we want him to move elsewhere?

He's not the first and won't be the last to show some dissent when unhappy and his current coach more than anyone can relate to this. Give the lad a break, show some support and let's get ready for the day when his return to form shows his class once again.

Perhaps as a four day player primarily he more than others suffers from the stop start fixtures, the loss of two four day games and some stability would help.

In recent times we have advocated the departures of Bresnan (not good enough this time last year), Rashid (not committed enough) and Hodd and all have proved the negative punters wrong!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 15 2017, 9:26 AM 

I did wonder about posting my original comments, because the last thing I wanted was a debate about whether we should drop or discard Alex Lees. In my view he is an automatic choice to open the batting. If Brooks gets in, there's some thinking to do. For what it's worth, I'd pick Brooks sooner rather than later, as if he really kicks on he might not be available to us for long (cf. Joe). If Brooks has to open, I'd consider using Adam in the middle order, He can join the other all-rounders there!

My concern is Alex's well-being, and its knock-on effect on the team, not his performances, though in the end one will impact on the other.

(Login TykeTim)

June 15 2017, 9:32 AM 

The guy scores one hundred and you expect him to open the batting! Talk about setting him up for a failure.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 15 2017, 9:36 AM 

Can we drop the "S" it's Harry Brook, and Jack Brooks.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Alex Lees

June 15 2017, 9:49 AM 

Brook has scored 3 centuries and was undefeated in his last 4 innings I believe, and all scored at a good rate. Can only learn more playing against better players.

Reg
(Login Reg123)

June 15 2017, 10:01 AM 

A lot of my cricket watching has been at the academy and seconds level over recent you get to see our younger players develop and grow. Lees was without a shadow of doubt the most impressive to watch in recent years post Root, also his work rate was obviously more intense than most. If he was out he was striaght in the nets or off practicing fielding with some of the younger players. Of the recnt crop the only other obvious players were Leaning, Rhodes and initally Tattersall, all of whom have found their way in one way or another. Rhodes I think will be the first to leave us and he should really have had the shout above Leaning recently.

I am not sure Lees his being handled correctly right now and he doesn't seem to be in Gale's clique. If he does go, and we only have ill informed speculation to suggest that, it will be a massive lost opportunity Yorkshire's part. Again I will point out, he has a better CC average than Lyth at the moment and Leaning's CC form has been far more of a worry over the last season and a bit.

On the white ball. We write hime off in one day stuff but in a captain's role he took us to finals day for T20 and a semi final in the one day last year. On the T20 you could argue it was the big names who let him down at Egbaston. In terms of runs T20 wise he was our second top scorer last season. Not sure why we overlook some of this, perhaps its because his 50 over batting has been a big miss.

I hope continues to grow with Yorkshire CC. I do still think he will make it to the international stage at some point in the long format would be frustrating if he did that with another county. We just need to support the lad.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 15 2017, 10:04 AM 

In 3 weeks time Ballance will be away with England, so, I think our first 5 for the rest of the season (7 back to back tests) will be Brook, Lyth, Lees, Hanscomb, KC, unless Leaning`s form improves dramatically in the next two weeks.

As far as I am aware, there has been no suggestions from anyone that he will be "dropped", the concerns are for himself and his state of mind as he seems "off his game" at the moment for some unknown reason. I am sure he will get his mojo back soon, and will be playing for us for years to come.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 15 2017, 10:14 AM 

Who is in the 'Gale clique' out of interest?

Surely all that was put to bed after the Wardlaw business.

Reg
(Login Reg123)

June 15 2017, 10:20 AM 

I suspect Bresnan is in there just by family links! Leaning must be too, while else would he have kept his CC place? Not Patto....

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 15 2017, 11:05 AM 

Am I missing something (irony perhaps), or is this all getting a bit cheap and nasty again?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 15 2017, 11:11 AM 

If there is something deep seated, then fair enough. If his demeanour and attitude (which does seem to be slightly out of kilter), is a reflection of his frustration at lack of form, then we just have to be patient.

We always thing the grass is greener, and Stoneman is often mentioned in dispatches as someone who would strengthen our team and supplant both of our openers. Bear in mind that his first class average is a less than impressive 34, compared with Alex Lees (38). Alex is also five years younger.

Stoneman has had a very good time of it over the last five seasons, but before then was ordinary. He was persisted with because of his talent, and this has borne fruit. Why would we not do the same with Alex, whose career thus far is stellar compared with where Stoneman was at the same age?

Reg
(Login Reg123)

June 15 2017, 11:40 AM 

I think the point for me about an opener is that they take time to mature in the same way as a goalkeeper in football or a fullback in rugby, the more they learn the better they get. I know there will of course be exceptions but I do believe the really good ones know the game inside out and that is all because of experience.

Stoneman is a good comparison and like Lees, when he is in gear he is a great player to watch.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 15 2017, 11:49 AM 

Sadly in the modern era we have to accept county players form as being hit and miss. Anyone with a modicum of consistency is tapped up by England and we don't see them again.

I've calmed down a bit since my earlier rant but even so I'm disappointed we seem to think a move for Lees is possibly in his and the clubs interests.

Good clubs and managers support their staff in times like this as all the backroom staff we now see on the circuit will prove.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 15 2017, 11:54 AM 

Some thoughtful remarks, but one or two which still leave me regretting raising this.
Can I lighten things a little by thanking Marsker for his correction on Brook's name. I am astonished how often we do this. Am tempted to blame my ipad and predictive spelling, but not really adequate.

In the dull winter months, we might consider a team of those we have misspelt - not a bad side in the making. I can staightaway come up with Brooks and Brookes, Balance, Pattison, 2 Lemans, and most dreadfully of all.....Truman.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Jun 15, 2017 12:02 PM

(Login KennyShovel)

June 15 2017, 12:03 PM 

I won't bore people with the exact figures but the only current players with a noticeably better overall record opening in division one are Trescothick, Cook and Compton.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 15 2017, 12:17 PM 

Can't say I have noticed Lees putting on timber or his supposed casual approach in the field. But if standards have slipped, then I would be asking questions of the coaching staff.

The decline of Lees form in white ball cricket is a test for the internally appointed Yorkshire coaching staff to correct. A player of Leesy's calibre should be on a upward trend, or at least developing new skills when on a bad run of form.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 15 2017, 12:37 PM 

Where has all this come from?

Lees is, of course, one of the finest young batsmen in the country and should be regarded as one of the jewels in Yorkshire's crown.

It would be best to leave him alone to pursue his career without background flak. If the lad is struggling with his form at the moment, he's no different to most other cricketers.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 15 2017, 1:32 PM 

I think we can now add Handscomb(e) to the misspelled XI

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

June 15 2017, 1:34 PM 

I cannot consider the idea of losing Lees. He is 22. give him time as he had hee potential to be world class.

What may be more sensible is a move down the order, maybe to 3 with Brook opening.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk