<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Feelings about the Champions trophy exit.

June 15 2017 at 10:00 PM
sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I care about Yorkshire cricket and county cricket. I've no feelings about international cricket, although I enjoy watching (TV) and listening to it. My wish, I want to see county cricket flourish and prosper.

I don't like Struass, Graves and Morgan who seem to want to tear apart something I get a huge amount of pleasure from, so allow me a small smile that they've failed in the recent Champions trophy quest.

However am I being short sighted? Do we expect county cricket to take the blame for this short coming and be further restructured to speed up the pace of change? Or perhaps the counties will receive credit for the conveyor belt of talent being produced and players allowed to play more to develop their skills and build match fitness?

I fear this set back is bad news for the county game and will be used as justification to force through more change.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Feelings about the Champions trophy exit.

June 15 2017, 10:35 PM 

I don't mind the current pyramid with County cricket feeding the International game.

I am though a bit worried with what seems to be the growing importance of 'A' tours and Lions series during the English season.

Let's play less County cricket to give the players time to rest and practice was the message from the ECB.

James Whittaker saying he is trying to pick players for the Lions mostly from teams who don't have a fixture seems to be missing the point.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 16 2017, 9:37 AM 

The big question that does not appear to have been asked or answered is how the revamped domestic 50 over comp, which will take place during the course of the new T20 comp and therefore will in effect be a second eleven comp, is going to help the team to compete internationally in 50 over competitions.

Surely if the game v. Pakistan tells us one thing, it is that playing in the IPL may make you a better T20 player, but those skills are not always applicable to the 50 over format, where adjusting to playing conditions is arguably more important - you have ten wickets to play with but have to bat 50 overs not 20. Logically, high quality 50 over games at a domestic level must be part of the equation.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 9:43 AM 

Good point Martin. As from 2020 when the new domestic structure starts, the England ODI players will be playing no domestic 50 over cricket at all, which is bound to hinder their development.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 16 2017, 10:15 AM 

Doesn't playing in the IPL risk telling you that you need a rest when you finish your stint as Woakes and Stokes have both been injured soon after and Roy has lost any form perhaps from being there but not playing.

I accept the counties provide players to Englsnd and have first call but I think it's not too hard to improve the fixture lists and player availability for the counties even allowing for them to rest.

If it wasn't for the pink ball tests do you really think the England players would be allowed back to play a county game that also just happens to be a day night game with a pink ball?

More likely the ECB would whisk them off to Dubai for some pink ball practice.

And Vic Marks made the comment of the week on TMS earlier. He said Bairstow would need a rest due to the number of test matches coming up later this summer. Perhaps one of the county games is against his lovely Somersets?

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 16 2017, 11:55 AM 

The fifty over game in England is every bit as endangered as the County Championship.
It seems clear from the proposed restructure and from the revamped format commencing this year, that domestic 50/50 is being downgraded.
This is of a piece with a prevailing narrative, which proposes a 20/20 future which, it is perceived, might fund an increasingly arcane Test Match programme for as long as there are people alive who might want to watch it. There is no significant place for the 50 over game in this glorious new future.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 16 2017, 12:57 PM 

"Doesn't playing in the IPL risk telling you that you need a rest when you finish your stint"

Looking at the way India have played I'd say no.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 16 2017, 1:09 PM 

Fair point but then I could counter and say how many of the Pakistan team played in the IPL!

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

June 16 2017, 1:21 PM 

Cricket is very different to say football (obviously) in that the domestic game is there to facilitate the international game, like it or not, England comes first. The better players are England players first, county a distant second.

Complete opposite with football.

I'm afraid the County game is dying on its feet. It is hardly commercially viable. A massive pity but the big wigs aren't interested in it and in view of the numbers that watch it, understandably.

We at Yorkshire are the exception in regards to attendance in CC games, however, members have dropped dramatically

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 16 2017, 2:09 PM 

The county game may be dying, but even Inspector Clouseau could work out who the murderer is in this case. I'm delighted the arrogant set of &%?£s lost.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 16 2017, 3:22 PM 

I quite enjoy 50-over cricket (though I liked 55 and 60 over more), and hugely regret that the domestic 50-over tournament will, along with the CC, be downgraded to allow the playing of more idiot-oriented Quik Cricket aka Monkey Tennis aka T20. I dislike the Champions Trophy in principle as a confected moneyspinner between World Cups, although, given the choice, I prefer its format to the World Cup. Shorter is sweeter. However, if it must be played and we must sacrifice our players to it, the least we could do is have some idea of how to play it other than hit and hope. Apparently that is beyond Strauss, Bayliss, Whittaker and any of the other overpaid functionaries who leach off the game.

Jesus Wept.

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Jun 16, 2017 3:23 PM

(Login dpressed)

June 16 2017, 8:40 PM 

The reason England lost was that they couldn't handle a typical 'sub-continent' pitch. Gung ho batting is fine of true pitches, but as has been said England don't have a 'plan B' is plan A doesn't work

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 16 2017, 9:17 PM 

I am amazed that some folk take pleasure in England losing in an ICC event, when an unprecedented five Yorkshire players made the Champions Trophy squad. No doubt the players will be devastated after dominating the Group Stages.

After World Twenty20 heartache last year, this might be Liam Plunkett's final chance of winning international silverware and he's one of cricket's good guys. After been rejuvenated by the stewardship of Jason Gillespie and Paul Farbrace, it would be fitting to see Plunkett have an international title to his name as recognition.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 17 2017, 10:07 AM 

I do agree with that, and I have no issue with any England player. My dwindling interest in our national team is a result of my loathing of the management, which includes the way some of the Yorkshire players have been treated. I am not paranoid enough to think that this treatment is because of their Yorkshireness, except in the case of Bairstow in various matches.

I wonder if Graves, Harrison and Strauss have a long-term agenda, which includes the introduction of a tier between the International and the County game, initially in T20 but eventually in all forms.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk