<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yorks v Middlesex CC pre-match thread

June 16 2017 at 3:35 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Brook in the 14 man squad

Squad news
Andrew Gale has named a 14-man squad for the trip to Lord’s with 18-year-old Harry Brook making his first appearance in a Specsavers County Championship squad. Adil Rashid returns from England duty after starring in the Champions Trophy. Tim Bresnan is in the squad pending the arrival of his third child.
Gary Ballance ©, Tim Bresnan, Harry Brook, Jack Brooks, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Andrew Hodd (W), Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Adil Rashid, Ryan Sidebottom.

Middlesex have been hit by injury and unavailability for this match.
They continue to be without Australian batsman Adam Voges due to a calf injury. He missed the eight-wicket defeat at Southport last week.
They will also be without Dawid Malan due to England T20 duty and Nick Gubbins and Tom Helm, who are with the Lions for their four-day match against South Africa A at Canterbury.
Steven Finn, however, returns after his spell with England’s Champions Trophy squad.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Yorks v Middlesex CC pre-match thread

June 16 2017, 3:46 PM 

But will Brook get in the team or is he only there for the experience.....?

The only cricketing Harry i can think of is Pilling.
Has there ever been a Yorkshire player called Harry....?

(I can hear Dewsburian sharpening his quill.)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 3:53 PM 

I doubt if Brook will get in the team, of the 14, I expect Patto, Fisher & Brook to be left out.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 16, 2017 3:53 PM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 16 2017, 3:53 PM 

Harry Latchman, born Jamaica, bowled leg breaks for Middlesex. Plenty of Harolds of course. Can't think of a Yorkshire Harry, but there was of course Harold Bird.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 4:00 PM 

He was always a Harold - never a Harry..

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 16 2017, 4:10 PM 

We've seen "Harry Carry" committed many times by players in Yorkshire shirts over the years!!

remit 1
(Login remit1)

Here's Harry...

June 16 2017, 4:16 PM 

Harry Halliday - debut just before the 1939-45 war and played for the first team into the 1950s

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 4:48 PM 

Hooray, Hooray.
Its a Harry Halliday....

(with apologies to Boney M)

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 16 2017, 4:54 PM 

"Perhaps he should get a trip to Lord's next week, just as they took Bairstow to Hove as 13th or 14th man the year before he was actually brought into the team."
I'd just like to say how honoured I am to have been promoted to the selection committee.

And how could anyone forget the Handsworth-born Harry Haywood Webster, who played for Yorkshire in 1868 and about whom little else seems to be known? Or Harry Bedford, a once promising leg spinner who helped Yorkshire to an innings win over Derbyshire at Dewsbury in 1928?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 16 2017, 5:26 PM 

You never let me down.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 16 2017, 6:08 PM 

I don't think traveling around a bit with the first team will do Brook any harm.

He is 18 now so he is in the zone where exceptional talents tend to make their first class debut. Certainly adds some interest.

I missed his batting at North Marine Road this week unfortunately.

(Login matthefish2002)

June 16 2017, 6:47 PM 

Travelling down for first 2 days of this one.
After seeing the weather forecast I have took the precaution of buying some new sun cream. Will also be finding the shade at Lords.
We own Middlesex one and feel we will win this game although Lords has a reputation of producing plenty of draws in tbe County Championship.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 16 2017, 7:11 PM 

My money is on a draw unfortunately. We really need to win though as Essex are playing whipping boys Warwickshire.

(Login dpressed)

June 16 2017, 8:24 PM 

Don't know about Yorkshire, but Harry Gurney has played for Leicester, Notts & Enngland in ODIs

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 16 2017, 11:09 PM 

I'm surprised Waite isn't in the squad in case Bresnan does have to pull out.

Possible team with Brez missing.

Lyth
Lees
Handscombe
Ballance
Leaning
Rashid
Hodd
Fisher
Brooks
Coad
Sidebottom

It would be unthinkable if it was Rafiq, but Rashid makes it seem alright.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Our Geoffrey

June 16 2017, 11:15 PM 

Our next dog is going to be named "Harry," or at least along the lines of the proper pronunciation, which would of course be (our) 'Arry.

Our last and much beloved canine was a very lovely Brittany Spaniel who proudly answered to "Geoffrey," named after you know who. I never tired of explaining to the curious, why he was called Geoffrey.

He certainly had Boycott's powers of determination and concentration, in that he could stare at anything resembling meat for an indefinate period of time, without actually taking it without permission. (Provided we weren't around!) His best innings was eating an entire box 24 gourmet cookies made by my prissy sister-in-law: toothpicks, cellophane and all. He was an opportunist, and we never told auntie Florence.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 16 2017, 11:30 PM 

Our dog Tully demolished a whole Victoria Sponge including its cellophane wrapping. Didn't give him any trouble. Dogs must like cellophane.

(called after Cicero -- his barks ended with a rhetorical cadence)

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

June 17 2017, 8:15 AM 

Harry Makepeace. Played for Lancashire, and four tests for England, but was born in Middlesbrough.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 17 2017, 10:20 AM 

My dad was 'Harry' - not a Henry, or anything, Harry was his given name, Christian name, as they used to call it. I did see Harry Halliday play, a comfortably built man who bowled what I remember as very slow left-arm, though his main role was right-handed top-order batsman. He did't get too many opportunities with Hutton, Lowson, Vic Wilson, Watson, Close, Yardley as regulars in the early 1950s.

This latest Harry, Brook, appears to be a player of the finest kind, lovely to watch. The Lancs 2nd bowling at Scarborough was not the most testing, but you can only score runs against the bowlers you are playing, and young Harry got 161 of them.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 17 2017, 11:43 AM 

Harry Makepeace also played football for Everton and England. He's one of two Yorkshiremen among the double internationals. Willie Watson was the other, though footballers knew him as Billy.
Makepeace played alongside another double international at Everton: Jack Sharp, also of Lancashire.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk