<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day One)

June 19 2017, 3:39 PM 

Thanks Stu - I was going to check that too - I was thinking that this might be the case as soon as I posted it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 3:42 PM 

Martin -- 2 wins at Lords last season (but I can only check back to mid-June). They beat Durham by an innings and us. Ours would have been a draw as well, without the fact that both sides HAD to win.

Roads like Lords DO NOT make for good cricket. Really glad I decided not to go this year, if this finishes as I expect with 500 plays 500 etc.

Looks as if we are struggling with the over rate as well, still 5 overs to tea (normally 15.40). Could be -4 by the end of the day which would mean -4 points.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 19, 2017 3:52 PM

(Login Alibor2)

June 19 2017, 3:49 PM 

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Jun 19, 2017 3:51 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 19 2017, 4:10 PM 

Looking at the other games, we are not the only ones with a poor over rate. Maybe allowances will be made for the heat?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 4:11 PM 

Tea 28 mins late, so probably -4 or even worse on the over rate.

Get Rash & Lyth on for 30 mins after tea and rattle through the 16 overs to the new ball.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 19, 2017 4:12 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 19 2017, 4:13 PM 

Give me a result wicket at Taunton over a Lords road any day of the week.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 4:23 PM 

Agree - Only two things can happen now.

They get 500, we succumb to scoreboard pressure (which can happen even to the best of teams) and we lose.

They get 500, we get 500 and its a rock solid draw.

Early days, but can not see a win for us under any circumstances, it looks like a "road". No Gubbins, Malan & Voges and they are still 228-2.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 19, 2017 4:25 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 19 2017, 4:46 PM 

Well at least Middlesex have sorted out the third runway dilemma for Heathrow.

(Login Martinh00)

June 19 2017, 5:02 PM 

Agree - Only two things can happen now.

They get 500, we succumb to scoreboard pressure (which can happen even to the best of teams) and we lose.

They get 500, we get 500 and its a rock solid draw.

Early days, but can not see a win for us under any circumstances, it looks like a "road". No Gubbins, Malan & Voges and they are still 228-2.

500 is probable, but surely not a certainty - another wicket and the new ball around the corner..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 19 2017, 5:09 PM 

A bowling point at least and at last.

Over rate coming up also and the start was delayed due to the national 2 min silence so I don't think that is anything to worry about.

Got to be the evening show at the open air theatre in this weather surely!

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 19 2017, 5:10 PM 

Re: Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day One) June 19 2017, 4:39 PM

Yikes, Middlesex are well on the way to batting us out of the match; and also consider Yorkshire have not yet earned a bowling bonus point and we are pparently behind in the overs rate. These sorts of scenarios are why some pundits are of the opinion that there should be an overs limit on a team's first innings. That might reduce the effect of "prepared" wickets, and lead to more competitive matches with fewer "bore draws."

Edit: Yorkshire have just bagged a bowling bonus point.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jun 19, 2017 5:12 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 5:16 PM 

If anyone is in London for the game - i can absolutely recommend the Regents Park Open Air Theatre.
Great shows, lovely atmosphere and a nice place to buy food....

(Login overman8)

June 19 2017, 5:47 PM 

I could recommend a few of my old haunts in the East End. It may not be quite as relaxing as the open air theatre, but certainly a different kind of cultural experience nevertheless.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

June 19 2017, 5:48 PM 

After two failed posting attempts, will try another!! I hope Coad will get some overs with second new ball this evening. We are rather stereotyped with our bowling but good to see variation this evening with Patto sharing new ball with Siddy - if we took it?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 19 2017, 5:59 PM 

Isn't it abit soon to be writing this off as a bore draw? May well be but with the sun hammering down on it, who knows what the pitch might do towards the back end of the match.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 6:00 PM 

10 overs left. A very late finish on the cards, hope no-one misses their Evening entertainment as a result. Could be a 7 o clock finish.

3 more wickets tonight would be a miracle but I will settle for 1 or 2.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 19 2017, 6:01 PM 

Well, 4 down now and on paper the rest of the batting doesn't look great (stand by for a double century from Steve Finn).
May have a chink of light here at least

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 6:09 PM 

Dwight ----- "Isn't it abit soon to be writing this off as a bore draw? May well be but with the sun hammering down on it, who knows what the pitch might do towards the back end of the match"

You could be right, Dwight, but that probably means our chances of winning are even slimmer. If the pitch breaks up and starts taking spin or keeping low, we will be batting last on it, when it is at it`s worst.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 19 2017, 6:26 PM 

Brian.

Rayner has a top score of 143no. TRJ has a top score of 103no. So I have to disagree, they have a lot of batting left.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 19 2017, 6:31 PM 

Oh dear. Looks like a chief execs track with Middlesex pinning their victory hopes on sporting declarations, buffet bowling or a weary attack tired out after two long days in the field in the sun.

Hard to slate any bowlers doing their job today. It was bad enough for me sat on my backside in an office never mind running around outside.

Perhaps a positive is Robson reminding the selectors there are other players who might come back into the test team this summer

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk