<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lancashire under 17's vs Yorkshire under 17's

June 19 2017 at 4:23 PM
JollyD  (Login JollyD)

With their defeat at the weekend, Yorkshire are once again eliminated from the under 17 one day competition before the knock-out stages.
You have to go back to 2011 to find the last time Yorkshire were national champions, when Jack Leaning led the side to victory at Grace Road. The opponents, Surrey, took their defeat very badly with shows of bad temper. Twice the umpires had to intervene to control the Surrey boys' poor attitude. By contrast, Yorkshire were commended for their demeanour on and off the field.
Apart from Leaning, among the other boys in the squad were Ben Coad, Eliot Callis, Josh Shaw, Ryan Gibson, Will Rhodes and Jonny Tattersall, all still with the club.
Shortly afterwards Academy coach Steve Oldham was sacked from his position. Some still believe it was poor reward for his excellent work.
It was pleasing to see 16 year old George Hill score a century against Lancashire. This powerful all-rounder has done his bit in aiding Harry Brook's development. Both are students at Sedbergh School and Hill has often responded to Brook's requests for a pre-breakfast net session.
A third student at the school is George Lavelle, arguably Lancashire's match winner yesterday. He is a prodigious run scoring wicket keeper, and a member of Lancashire's Academy. Keep your eye on him.
All three are a credit to former Durham batsman, Martin Speight, who is the school's cricket coach.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Lancashire under 17's vs Yorkshire under 17's

June 19 2017, 6:10 PM 

Yes there was a great leg side stumping by Lavelle doing the rounds on Twitter a week or so ago

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Lancashire under 17's vs Yorkshire under 17's

June 19 2017, 6:11 PM 

Thanks for this, JD. Very informative. I last saw the U17s at Ticknall in 2015 when they were second-best to an inventive and enterprising Derbyshire side.

middlestumps
(Login middlestumps)

Yorkshire junior development

June 20 2017, 10:18 PM 

At the time you talk about in 2011, Steve Oldham was bowling coach, not academy coach.

Your post reflects a need to modernise the whole youth structure, hence what has happened this year with the overhaul of the youth system and pathways.

Also the fact that the 2nd X1 won the SET with 11 academy players or academy graduates shows the progression from U17 to first class cricket is in good order. 20 staff players were unavailable for the SET trophy final, and yet the youth players stepped up and showed their potential.

I think the youth development at Yorkshire is second to none, and with the right structure now in place, we should see domination at all stages.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Lancashire under 17's vs Yorkshire under 17's

June 21 2017, 9:58 AM 

I agree, Middlestumps, with your enthusiastic and optimistic remarks. I am unsure, however, why my post "reflects a need to modernize the whole youth structure". My report was intended, as usual, to be factual and informative.
As regards the new age group and pathways structure, whatever your views on lts likely efficacy, there was considerable disquiet about the coup d'etat without any prior discussion with The Yorkshire Schools Cricket Association. This was a poor way to treat an organization which had produced a stream of excellent players for 93 years. Are you suggesting that the YSCA had failed in recent times ? If so, perhaps you might like to consider the emergence of Ryan Sidebottom, Andrew Gale, Steve Patterson, Tim Bresnan, Adam Lyth, Adil Rashid, Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root among others.
Finally, you are correct that Steve Oldham's official designation was bowling coach, but he also ran the Academy side at that time. I was one of only two Yorkshire members at the under 17's trophy win in 2011, and there is no doubt Oldham was the man in charge.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk