<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Two)

June 20 2017, 6:17 PM 

I have seen the wickets on Sky, and Higgins is not an off-break bowler, as stated on Cricinfo.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 20 2017, 6:39 PM 

Is Mrs Bresnan enduring the world's longest labour?!?!?
Tim's batting has certainly been missed this week.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Two)

June 20 2017, 6:49 PM 

Bresnan's batting has not been that reliable this season.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

50.00!

June 20 2017, 6:58 PM 

Gary Ballance ended the day with a career batting average of exactly 50.00,

Alas, I think we'll be saying goodbye to Gary soon enough.

The Big Fish
(Login The.Big.Fish)

June 20 2017, 7:01 PM 

500 plays 500 is a thought I can't remove from my mind....

I was there yesterday in the baking heat - it certainly cannot have been easy in the field, then another few hours today and that becomes really tough.

Apart from some variable bounce, I saw absolutely nothing at all yesterday that suggested it could produce a c.200 all out innings - but a combination of the affect of long hard hours in the field and the pitch being under that sun for 2 days is maybe enough to change matters. WIll be some bloody effort to salvage a draw from here on the Lord's "road".

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 20 2017, 7:22 PM 

Call for TKC.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 20 2017, 8:02 PM 

I am usually in the pessimistic camp and have been criticised by other posters, and quite rightly so, for always taking that viewpoint and fearing the worst. So I decided to be optimistic this week, for a change, for this match and was hoping and expecting a high scoring draw, and look what that has got us. We have very little chance now of avoiding the follow-on, taking the game into the 4th day or even drawing the game.

It`s amazing what scoreboard pressure, and one and a 1/2 days in the field in soaring temperatures can do. I suppose with the vulnerability of our top order, the toss loss, the "Lords hoodoo", and the time spent fielding in very hot temperatures it was not totally un-expected that we should collapse so spectacularly. They certainly have the "wood" on us at the moment.

1 run in total from 6,7,8 & 9. Tim has not been batting as well this season as last, but we may have got a tad more with him playing.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 20, 2017 8:09 PM

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

June 20 2017, 8:48 PM 

Stu, I try to remain in the optimistic camp, but my frustration is boiling now. It's not that I think we have a rubbish team, far from it, we have excellent foundations, we have the best seam attack in the division, we have the 2nd best batsman too, and I rate Handscomb as an overseas addition. The crux of the batting only needs to provide support, if just 2 of Lyth, Lees or Leaning could have good seasons, which we know them to be capable of, I would have us as title favourites, but all three have let us down. Combining that with our frailties at 6-8 and batting collapses happen too often. I don't think defeat to Middlesex leaves us in an impossible position but 2 defeats from the first 7 games isn't good and if we lose Ballance for 3-4 games, it may be too much of a mountain to realistically climb.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

June 20 2017, 8:48 PM 

Will Middlesex enforce the follow on? If they don't I fancy us to hold out

DW
(Login Bergenopzoom)

Today

June 20 2017, 9:02 PM 

When I arrived Lees was already out but Brook, and Lyth in particular, were not especially troubled in adding 60 or so. Lyth had some difficulty with Higgins' middle and leg line and then fell caught behind, though he clearly felt that he hadn't touched it.

Brook went straight after tea as he clipped an innocuous delivery slightly unluckily straight to short leg. Handscombe was becalmed by the excellent Roland-Jones and then edged a wide one which was almost certainly thrown out there for that purpose. After that it all got ugly.

Rashid played on when trying to angle a ball into the offside when the full face of the bat would have served him better; Hodd missed an ugly heave to one that didn't get up as much as he expected; Patterson was bowled trying to steer an away swinger to mid-on; Brooks missed a straight one that may have stayed a touch low; and Coad, forgivably, nibbled at a decent ball from Finn.

At the other end, Ballance - apart from one nick into the slips - was relatively untroubled.

Though they have had a poor start to the season for the last 2 days Middlesex have looked like the champion county: we'll need to do something similar to get a draw. The odds are against us but it's an attritional wicket and a patient batsman can stay in for a long time.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

June 20 2017, 9:17 PM 

Only way I can see a draw now is if we somehow get 500 from the 2nd innings. Highly unlikely but one thing this team does have is belief.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 20 2017, 9:49 PM 

34 degrees in London tomorrow but cooler on Thursday. I have a hunch they won't enforce.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 20 2017, 10:20 PM 

Think they will enforce the follow-on. Unless Gary and Siddy put on another 111 that is.

The skipper took a lot of flack for not doing so against Essex in April and turning an easy looking win into a draw.

If we can start with a small victory and get a batting point that would be good. Then we just need everyone to play to their potential with lots of luck and no dodgy decisions we can dig ourselves out of this. I believe.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 20 2017, 10:53 PM 

I think they'll bat around 50 overs then go at us again.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 20 2017, 11:19 PM 

I'm very much in the gloomy camp.
DW has described the way the wickets fell very accurately. Hodd's dismissal was difficult to forgive under the circumstances. The ball that bowled Brooks didn't just keep a little low; it was a shooter.
Brook had a most promising debut and played some very pretty shots. His dismissal was a surprise and a disappointment.

All the Middlesex seamers bowled very well on a deteriorating wicket. It was a rather ominous circumstance that Middlesex found it hard to accumulate a further hundred runs for the loss of six wickets.
The pitch started dry. Two days in baking sun has led to uneven bounce. I can only assume this will get worse. The toss has played a big part making the situation Yorkshire are in but it's undeniable that far the better batting came from Middlesex. Yorkshire's bowlers have done very little wrong. Jack Brooks had a poor opening spell this morning but, nevertheless, was curiously underbowled.

We must try to get a bonus point tomorrow morning but I would expect Middlesex to bat for two sessions, establish a lead of four hundred plus and then wait for the wicket and Yorkshire's fallibilities to do the rest.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk