<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone else worried we'll be relegated next season?

June 20 2017 at 6:33 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

Thanks to Ballance, Coad and Sidebottom we've managed to remain relatively competitive this season, with the rest not contributing much at all. At the end of the season Sidebottom will retire and the other 2 will likely be in England reckoning. The L's are getting worse and much of the seam attack is aging. We've seen Notts and Warwickshire fade in recent years, could we be next?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

Re: Anyone else worried we'll be relegated next season?

June 20 2017, 6:35 PM 

No.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 20 2017, 6:36 PM 

No.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 20 2017, 6:40 PM 

Yes, next season.

Might just avoid it this year.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 20 2017, 6:52 PM 

We're in the title race this year, whatever happens at Lord's.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Anyone else worried we'll be relegated next season?

June 20 2017, 6:57 PM 

We won't be, we've been carried by three players (that tbf to them have all been excellent). We'll lose one of them for a significant period of time. Look at how close we were to defeat at Somerset, and Ballance pulled off a miracle to save us at Hampshire. This could easily have been our 4th loss in 7 games, 2nd/3rd/4th looks a bit of a false position.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 20 2017, 6:59 PM 

I don't think winning a tight game v Somerset is a negative, quite the opposite. We really looked the part v Warwicks and Lancs. Our problem is consistency, if we find that we'll win a run of games.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

June 20 2017, 7:29 PM 

No. Simple as that

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 20 2017, 7:35 PM 

I don't think we're in any more danger than the other sides. With two going down from eight there's always room for the unexpected though. Putting this game to the side for a moment, who expected Middlesex to be third from bottom.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 20 2017, 9:29 PM 

Somerset v Yorkshire. One side had the better of most of the match, but has been underperforming and bottled it a bit at the end. The other has 5 years of success behind them and believed they could win it even when logic said they wouldn't. The closeness of that result wasn't evidence of our frailty but our strength. There's no way we will go down.

This game is different. Middlesex are a quality side, probably the only one who have no fear of us. They won a massive toss, have bowled beautifully and had most of the luck going. We were under the cosh, and the pressure they built up led to some dismissals which annoyed me, but that's the nature of cricket.

At present we only have one batsman performing at a level he can be proud of, but there's plenty of quality among the others. I think we need a bit more positivity and patience. We're not going to sign anyone else to improve matters.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 20 2017, 9:41 PM 

It is next season, the discussion is about. It is a red herring referring this season's performances in to the discussion.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Don't worry, be happy.

June 20 2017, 10:27 PM 

Life's too short to worry about next season just yet.

With 2 out of 8 going down I think relegation will become a reality for most teams over a 5 or 6 season cycle.

Look upon relegation as clearing the way for a promotion.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 20 2017, 10:51 PM 

Yes relegation isn't the disaster it is in other sports, especially for a club with our resources. Besides, the last time we were in Division 2, we made up for not being able to challenge for the title by having our best "white ball" season in a decade. It may not appease the CC first brigade but I really enjoyed watching that side that got us to the T20 final.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 21 2017, 11:34 AM 

I'm worried every season as you never know who is available and fit or what will happen to the overseas signings and then with fewer fixtures there is more chance of luck (or unluck) being a factor.

But I should think all counties would think the same was with two from 8 going down

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

June 21 2017, 11:36 AM 

No

Before this game we were top of the table (briefly)

For the first season in a long time we have a strong second XI future looks bright

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Relegation

August 4 2017, 2:03 AM 

Players away on England duty, others injured, aging players, players badly out of form, an unexperienced coach who is under pressure, grim toxic atmosphere

This club is in turmoil, forget next season, this could yet be the year.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 4 2017, 8:24 AM 

I'm not worried we will be relegated at all next season unless they suddenly introduce a third division!

Seriously I think we sometimes look at this with blinkers on and lose sight of the state of other counties. Warwickshire are in decline and panic buying. Surrey are creating split camp due to cheque book buying. Somerset can't keep young talent like Hose and can't rely forever on Tres and Treg for runs and their skipper had to drop himself.

Middlesex not the force of the last few years and Lancashire, Hampshire rely on kolpaks for half a team.

We have had some disappointing results and some players have not progressed. But we still have half a dozen of interest to the national team, a battery of seamers and a pipeline of talent.

Life after Dizzy was always going to be tough for whoever took it on. Our overseas signing for four day cricket was disappointing but I'm confident things will improve. We don't need all of our out of form players to come good just some of them!

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 4 2017, 11:56 AM 

I'm not sure I recognise this alleged "grim toxic atmosphere"...

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 4 2017, 12:25 PM 

If we are in danger of relegation NEXT season, that's good - it means we weren't relegated THIS one!

I don't see any evidence of toxicity but, from our side of the rope, Alex Lees appears unhappy and unsettled. I think there's a danger of attributing our own feelings and anxieties to the team. But we certainly need to win at least one of the remaining CC fixtures, because surely Somerset are too good to go down.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 6 2017, 9:33 PM 

We will not get relegated next season, as we will do it this year, unless Warwickshire & Somerset continue playing as badly as we are.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk