<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Aw

June 21 2017, 1:21 PM 

Come on lads - dont make me have to work tomorrow....
at the very least i want breakfast in the Pavillion.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

Re: Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Three)

June 21 2017, 1:22 PM 

Re Ballance: I'll be very surprised if he's called up this season. He's had a couple of opportunities with England already, including one where he was brought back before he was really ready. There are other 'cabs on the rank' ahead of him, and I think the selectors will wait to see if his form persists over a longer period.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 21 2017, 1:25 PM 

At the start of the season Paul I would've agreed that his England career was over for atleast another year or two, that's why he seemed a good pick for the captaincy. I'm not so confident now though.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

June 21 2017, 1:34 PM 

Thing is, it's not just (or even mainly) to do with form. If the selectors bring him back now and he fails again, they'll look stupid (see Ramprakash and others). So they'll leave it awhile.
Wishful thinking, perhaps...

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

June 21 2017, 1:39 PM 

...meanwhile, Jennings and Stoneman have just put on a 100 partnership for England Lions.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 21 2017, 1:42 PM 

And now Ballance is out! The fat lady is tuning up.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

June 21 2017, 1:59 PM 

England are big on consistency of selection so I think the encumbrants will get first go as per roy in the ODI so hopefully gary will not be picked

saying that joe root is a big admirer which will obviously count for something

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Three)

June 21 2017, 3:00 PM 

Why is Hodd attempting reverse sweeps. We will inevitably lose in the end, but why try to speed up the process?

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Three)

June 21 2017, 3:00 PM 

Current CC predictions:
1. Middlesex
2. Surrey
3. Essex
4. Lancashire
5. Hampshire
6. Yorkshire
7. Somerset
8. Warwickshire

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 21 2017, 3:01 PM 

Perhaps the wake up call the powers that be need.

dave
(Login rognumber)

when was the last innings defeat ?

June 21 2017, 3:08 PM 

anyone remember ?

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

June 21 2017, 3:17 PM 

Last July vs Middlesex.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 21 2017, 3:20 PM 

Perhaps the wake up call the powers that be need.

Agreed - but wake up to do what - that is the question. I'm at a loss to know what can be done at this point in time.

There are lots of things that we would like to be different now, but row back to the start of the season and apart from an additional middle order batsman (which I accept would have been good) I'm not sure what else could have been done.

The only concern coming into the season what whether Leaning would perform - hence the suggestion that we needed another batsman to create a bit ofcompetition. Our openers both average near or just over 40 and got 1000 runs last season - on what basis would we have replaced one of them? Ballance (we hoped) would come good and has. We got arguably the form overseas player of 2016 and Bresnan averaged in the mid-40s last season.

For me, the question is how can we have ended up in a situation where so many of our players appear to be out of form - even Handscomb seems to have gone off the boil. Is it the coaching, the captaincy? Individual players or just bad luck? I have no idea

dave
(Login rognumber)

June 21 2017, 3:25 PM 

oh forgot that innings defeat- so this Middlesex lot really are our bogey team

Paul D
(Login pdowgill)

Current commentators' view

June 21 2017, 3:32 PM 

Seems that most of the DC/DT radio chat still sees YCC coming in top 2 this season. DC suggests that Gale/Moxon are aware of batting issues and are doing something about this. They are saying not so much of the doom and gloom from YCC supporters...and the fact that we are in a better position than Middlesex; forgetting of course that we (fans) expect us to win the title.

We have an opening partnership where both get a 50 every 5 innings and a 100 every 10/11 innings but this is skewed by the performance a couple of years back. So say 60 innings for two openers we are look at at 6 hundreds and 12 50's - not enough in my view to win a championship.

Time for change...

This message has been edited by pdowgill on Jun 21, 2017 3:33 PM

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Paul D

June 21 2017, 3:53 PM 

Email is cricketwithcally@live.co.uk, might be late to reply but give it a go.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 21 2017, 4:07 PM 

Seems that most of the DC/DT radio chat still sees YCC coming in top 2 this season. DC suggests that Gale/Moxon are aware of batting issues and are doing something about this. They are saying not so much of the doom and gloom from YCC supporters...and the fact that we are in a better position than Middlesex; forgetting of course that we (fans) expect us to win the title.

We have an opening partnership where both get a 50 every 5 innings and a 100 every 10/11 innings but this is skewed by the performance a couple of years back. So say 60 innings for two openers we are look at at 6 hundreds and 12 50's - not enough in my view to win a championship.

Time for change...

Agreed that this season is a disappointment. What we change is anyone's guess. A quick look suggests that over the last four seasons (excluding this) the openers have done the following:

Lyth - 108 innings, 14 hundreds, 16 fifties
Lees - 100 innings - 9 hundreds, 20 fifties

It is legitimate to look at past performance (including last season) - how else do you plan for the future. They both averaged bang on 40 last season with seven hundreds and 10 fifties from 60 innings. Not spectacular but not sufficiently poor to look for a new opener over the winter, I would suggest. What has happened since does change things - and we are probably reaching the point where a big decision has to be made. Not sure what that will be.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 21 2017, 4:14 PM 

We have had the worse of the wicket by a long way. According to the radio commentary, there are large cracks in the wicket now due to the very high temperatures over the past three days. Having said that, that is still no excuse for such an abject performance. Apart from Gary, the batting is abysmal.

Still sticking to my pre-season prediction of third or 4th, we could finish lower, but no chance of finishing higher than that, our batting will never get us into enough winning positions for the bowlers to exploit.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 21 2017, 4:14 PM 

If there's a big decision to be made, it is which one is replaced by Brook. However, the stats posted tell the story- these are two high quality county openers and form is temporary. Do other counties drop their openers when they have a bad run of form? Probably not because like us, they don't have anyone to come in other than inexperienced youngsters. Brook showed enough gumption yesterday to be given a run at three in my opinion.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 21 2017, 4:21 PM 

A loss is a loss but some losses are more gruesome than others.

Hopefully, this fiasco will bring about a re-think and possibly the club casting about for a reinforcement, particularly an opening batsmen. One thing is abundantly clear and that is without our England players, our batting is fragile and is probably not Championship. caliber.
""

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk