<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Three)

June 21 2017, 4:28 PM 

The thing is we've already signed a batting reinforcement - it's highly unlikely we can afford another.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 21 2017, 4:37 PM 

A loss is a loss but some losses are more gruesome than others.

Hopefully, this fiasco will bring about a re-think and possibly the club casting about for a reinforcement, particularly an opening batsmen. One thing is abundantly clear and that is without our England players, our batting is fragile and is probably not Championship. caliber.

Again, as Seadog73 says, form is temporary. We really will be "casting around" if we think we can find an opener mid-season who is a LONG TERM better bet than Lees and Lyth - a short term solution must surely be found from within our ranks. I don't think there is anyone in country cricket who has significantly better records over the last 4 seasons, and I doubt there is anyone that hasn't had a similar slump during that period. Bad news for us is both are slumping at the same time.

(Login LondonExile)

June 21 2017, 4:42 PM 

"The thing is we've already signed a batting reinforcement - it's highly unlikely we can afford another."

Well, quite. For all the disappointment at this woeful performance, doesn't the signing of Kohler-Cadmore suggest "the powers that be" were acting before this performance to improve the side?

The next match will have the England lads back, hopefully taking the pink ball experience gaining mission seriously.

After that, I'd be looking at Brook in for Lees and Kohler-Cadmore ahead of Leaning. Brez can come in too, maybe for Brooks (Coad's really made this more competitive hasn't he?!). So something like this:

Lyth
Brook
Ballance
Handscomb
Kohler-Cadmore
Bresnan
Hodd
Rashid
Patterson
Coad
Sidebottom

That doesn't look quite so horrendous to me.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 21 2017, 4:49 PM 

"Hope springs eternal in the young man's breast, as he dreams of a better time ahead.." - Alan Price

Yorkshire's recent successes are irrelevant to the current situation. Our batting is fragile, are openers are ineffective...and we may lose Ballance to England.

Good management will recognize the situation, and that our Championship aspirations (or worse) are slipping away so let's bring in some reinforcements or consider significant lineup changes, if only to get us through this season. This ship is taking on water, it is time for some changes.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jun 21, 2017 5:42 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 21 2017, 4:49 PM 

I don't think we planned TKCs arrival mid season and don't think we were actively looking for a mid season hire. After all we will hopefully have a few Englsnd boys back here and there plus Daddy Bresnan. How many back up players do we need that we can give game time to?

The issue with TKC is that Rhodes and Worcts treated him appallingly and decided not to pick him so in everyone's interests it made sense for him to join now so he got some cricket and Worcts didn't have to pay him.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 21 2017, 5:00 PM 

It is not improbable that both Rashid and Ballance will be selected for the first test, so after the Surrey match the batting could get considerably weaker than what it is now.

They did state last week that Rashid has been rested from the T20`s so he can play in the day/night county game to get some practice for the day/night test. So selection for the tests must be in their minds.

First win this season for Middlesex. The last time we lost by an innings was also against Middlesex. Middlesex had only won 2 matches from 13 in all formats this season prior to this win. The chant going around Lords was "can we play you every week".

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 21, 2017 5:55 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 21 2017, 5:07 PM 

That was a really shocking surrender of a performance.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 21 2017, 6:50 PM 

A stat from Cricinfo.

Gary has scored 24.6% of our total runs this season.

A telling indictment on the rest of them.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Championship | Middlesex vs Yorkshire at Lord's (Day Three)

June 21 2017, 7:06 PM 

Gale says that strong words were said about the batting after the Somerset gain, so that made a lot of difference then. And also begs the question of where Gale goes from there if performances continue to disappoint?

Howden73
(Login howden73)

June 21 2017, 8:16 PM 

Perhaps Gale should come out of retirement?happy.gif

Lancashire received a thrashing at Headingley with woeful batting in both innings but have been inspired since against both Middlesex and Hampshire. In the latest game, both Hameed and Livingstone are missing but the SA duo of Vilas (244) and McLaren (107) stepped up to the plate.

I quite like our middle order this season (5, 6 and 7...Chanderpaul, Vilas, McLaren). Why on earth is Croft batting at No 4 (a solitary single in 52 scratchy minutes). One could ask "Why is Croft in the team in the first place?" after choosing to bat at Headingley.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 21 2017, 9:06 PM 

There's guy playing a blinder for England at the moment - he might be a decent signing - Bairstow?

Oh no, I forgot...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 21 2017, 10:18 PM 

My ship of optimism ran aground on the reef of reality. Was devastated I couldn't go to Lords but now the swap to the Oval doesn't seem too hard a cross to bear.

We can't do much but move on. Have to believe that if they got Ballance out the pitch must have been difficult for mere humans.

We've still won 2 matches this month and if we can make use of our England players next week and the weather holds up we might make it 3.

Odds on Essex being well clear after this round, looking forward to their visit to Scarborough.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 21 2017, 11:16 PM 

Today's performance was every bit as gruesome as I anticipated with no redeeming feature or positive to emerge.
We were trounced; if anything, even more comprehensively than last September against Somerset.

A bonus point was taken. Thereafter, the batting lacked self belief and wilted in the face of a very solid Middlesex attack. Lyth was unsettled by his first ball - a lifter from Murtagh and never recovered his composure. There were too many loose shots. Handscomb in particular was a disappointment, flapping a short ball to backward point. There were other loose flashes outside the off stump, hinting at a team that knew the inevitable outcome of the game.

I hope the squad get over this thumping rapidly. Batting really is, now becoming a problem. Two attractive but skittish batsmen like Rashid and Hodd coming in at six and seven does little to calm the nerves. Against a good attack - e.g. Middlesex, or Surrey - a tail of Patterson, Brooks, Coad and Sidebottom will score very few runs. Yorkshire were rolled over very easily in both innings.

The bowling was satisfactory but really, those people who regard us as having the best seam attack in the country, need to get out a bit more.

One point which puzzled me when I arrived at the ground on the morning of day one was that Middlesex were batting. I'm getting older and I do find the changes in toss regulations difficult to get my head round but I thought the visiting side had
the opportunity to bat first unless they opted for a toss. I must be wrong because any sane Captain would have batted first n the conditions prevailing on Monday. The biggest single factor in Middlesex achieving dominance was that they had first use of a dry pitch.

It's always lovely to visit Lords. I went to the Museum yesterday and found a much improved facility. I spent most of my time in the Allen Stand; a first for me. It's a relaxed and friendly place with a lovely steward, a decent bar and shade. My God it was hot!! I was amazed to be told that the ground authorities were totally unprepared for a crowd approaching 4,000 on day one, which was the reason for the 40 minute queues at the start of play. Do they follow County Cricket?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 21 2017, 11:27 PM 

oh bollocks.
Now what am i going to do?

For all this talk about relegation - last time i looked we were still second.
If we win next week we're right back in it.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 22 2017, 12:43 AM 

Right on Stevie C

Back to back wins against Surrey and Somerset (which is do-able), Yorkshire will end phase 2 on a strong note.

We are still yet to play the current leaders, surely Essex are due a defeat by the time we play them and Hampshire are already on the back foot against Lancashire. The players know that team performances can be better and if they up their game, then the title is very much regainable.

(Login dpressed)

June 22 2017, 8:02 AM 

T1950 ... the rules say that as visiting team can elect to field without a toss but if the visiting team doesn't insert the home team there is a toss to decide who will bat first.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 22 2017, 8:38 AM 

Thanks for clarifying dpressed.
At least Ballance can't be blamed for that.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

June 22 2017, 9:51 AM 

The batting averages tell the story .
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/teams/yorkshire/averages

Hopefully Root and Bairstow will improve theirs in the next match !

Dave
(Login rognumber)

Concerns regarding our overseas batsman

June 22 2017, 10:06 AM 

Again our overseas batsman has failed to give us the innings we needed . Apart from Lehman (Darren ) we just don't seem to get the 'star' performances we require from these guys.Handscomb currently averages under 40 but this includes a 100 not out against Lancs when it didnt really matter. As a ' comparison ' Sangakarra is averaging over 90 Chanderpaul over 60 and Vilas over 50. Obviously these guys come with huge reputations e.g. Williamson but playing for us it does not seen to happen. Am I being too harsh?
Dave

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

June 22 2017, 10:10 AM 

No , you are being quite correct in my opinion. Pujara and Jake Lehmann can perhaps be considered short term successes . Maxwell played one superb innings at Scarborough.But we have not had an overseas who dominated a full season for many years.

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Jun 22, 2017 10:13 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk