<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Might relegation not be such a bad thing?

June 21 2017 at 6:16 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

Let's face it, it will probably happen once Ballance is established with England and Sidebottom retires. The second XI looks good at the moment. Maybe we could do with a year in division 2 to allow us to transition the side and hopefully come back with a bang like what happened in 2012.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Might relegation not be such a bad thing?

June 21 2017, 6:44 PM 

No offence intended but you seem rather obsessed with relegation!

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

June 21 2017, 6:56 PM 

Well presuming his username relates to Leeds United, relegation and failure are part of his everyday life.

I'm more of a York City man myself, so I can't really talk.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Relegation unacceptable!!!!!

June 21 2017, 7:48 PM 

Relegation is always a bad thing, especially if you are a proud Yorkshire supporter. To start a season without the opportunity to be the champion county is unacceptable for a club with such a proud history, and one that has won more Championships than any other county by a wide margin.

Second division means little or no coverage in the press and would likely affect attendances, as well as the club's ability to attract the highest quality players. As well and since ticket or membership prices would not be reduced, supporters would "enjoy" lower quality cricket for the same prices.

As well the math is against you, given that there are more teams in the second rung than there are in the first division. i.e. mathematically at least, it is harder to win promotion than to get relegated.

Relegation has no useful function. As a 55-year Yorkshire supporter it is unacceptable.
""

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 21 2017, 8:18 PM 

Well said Alex. It's an absurd notion in all honesty, clearly there are cracks for all to see and this requires attention. I appreciate that the club is trying to address some of these issues, but this should have been done sooner rather than later.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

June 21 2017, 8:25 PM 

Going down would be a disaster. Youngsters looking to make a career in what isn't an amazingly well paid profession would seek other 1st Division clubs to improve their chances to play for England (when the money starts rolling in). Do you think Ben Coad will want to play 2nd Division cricket for a few seasons when I imagine many top clubs would be only to happy to pay his young wages?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 21 2017, 8:27 PM 

If you find yourself relegated, you make the most of the opportunities created. Sometimes, with hindsight, it can seem to have been beneficial.

I have no doubt people sent to prison have consoled themselves with similar notions, a year or two away from the rat-race, family, whatever, a fresh start, time to reflect.

But you would never wish it upon yourself. Would you?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 21 2017, 8:29 PM 

The one plus is that, bizarrely, you get more prize money for winning the 2nd Division than you do for coming 6th in the 1st Division!

(Login dpressed)

June 21 2017, 10:34 PM 

I have to disagree over relegation affecting crowds. Yorkshire were rubbish for years in the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s (& part of the 2000's) yet we were still better supported than most counties. I'n the early 2000's Derby did 'cheap' membership to try & improve crowds. One retired mate took it up & used to go if Yorks weren't at home. The fist morning of the Derbyshire match after Yorkshire had visited another member was heard to say "Isn't it good to get our ground back". Both teams were in the 2nd division at the time.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 21 2017, 10:50 PM 

There would be some long faces and irate rants but then members would come to terms with it and 4 days in Derby would be a bonus for the South Yorkshire brethren.

No County is too good to go down, especially when teams can bring in ready made top class players under Kolpak rules and 25% of teams are relegated.

The good thing about Yorkshire is they are too good to stay down.

Owner

June 21 2017, 10:54 PM 

@Depressed: The 70's were a long time ago, old son - I'm not sure that is a relevant comparison, especially considering that there was no two division promotion and demotion back then, no central contracts, etc.

As well there is so much more competition today for the entertainment market share, and second division county cricket with no hope of winning domestic cricket's crown jewel (the Championship pennant), will be hard sell.
""

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 21 2017, 11:21 PM 

It wont happen this year - trust me...

However, purely selfishly - if it did happen for one year (and it would only be one year) it would be lovely to spend a season visiting Grace Road, Northampton, Colwyn Bay etc...
The only disadvantage of the first division is the tedious monotony of the concrete Test grounds we visit.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 22 2017, 12:58 AM 

I agree with Stevie C, mostly on the basis Yorkshire are well equipped to replace ageing players from within than most counties. Ashley Giles has effectively admitted Warwickshire need to rebuild already, I suspect Somerset will be in that position soon, most of Hampshire's batting are at the wrong side of 30.

By the time the counties go through their rebuilding process, Yorkshire will have almost finished and be in a position to dominate once again.

Alex
Owner

June 22 2017, 1:47 AM 

I'd much prefer we rebuild as a member of the first (Championship) division...that's what GREAT teams do. We don't need to drop into the second division to rebuild.
""

(Login dpressed)

June 22 2017, 8:05 AM 

Alex please re-read my post. The Derby story came from either2003 or 20004

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Seriously?

June 22 2017, 3:02 PM 

Do you really think that with the playing squad we have at our club that Yorkshire could be relegated? Are you being serious or are you being funny? There is no way that this Yorkshire team will be in Division 2 any time soon. Andrew Gale and Martyn Moxon have an embarrestment of riches to choose from and in 3rd place at present but 20 odd points behind surprise leaders Essex, so I'll admit we could of done better so far, but relegation?????. No way! Maybe you are one of life's little worriers!
A Buchan

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Might relegation not be such a bad thing?

June 22 2017, 3:17 PM 

I just fear for this side at the moment without Sidebottom (retiring), Ballance (England) and Coad (possible England). We really need more players to step up like we know we're capable of.

(Login leef1234)

June 22 2017, 3:30 PM 

Coad is a way off England at the moment. Yes he has had a great start to the season but he is "only" an 80mph bowler which is not quick enough these days at International level. Also there are a number of other contenders with more experience etc

Hopefully he will continue to improve & develop but there are plenty ahead of him at the moment

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

June 22 2017, 5:02 PM 

"However, purely selfishly - if it did happen for one year (and it would only be one year) it would be lovely to spend a season visiting Grace Road, Northampton, Colwyn Bay etc..."

Well they are there and ready be visited during any cricket season regardless of whether Yorkshire are in the same division or not.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 22 2017, 5:43 PM 

That's a very good point my friend - just hard to summon the same enthusiasm if Yorkshire aren't playing...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk