<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Next weeks matches

June 22 2017 at 11:26 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

All 18 teams play next week with all the England players back for their counties, using a pink ball and all 9 matches under lights with a 2pm start, followed by the RLODC Final.

Just a point - if all teams played every week (as next week), it would only take up 14 weeks, so there would have been no need for the reduction in CC fixtures. It could also have avoided some of the weeks when ODI`S and CC games clash, as has happened many times this season already. More blank weeks could avoid the situation as last week when the Champions Trophy clashed with the k/o stages of the 50 over comp.

There is also a Lions match starting on the 4th day of the CC games, and England have stated they will not select any player from either Surrey or Notts (the Finalists). Surely then, the fairest selection policy would be to select no more than one player from the other 16 counties.

The consensus of opinion re the pink ball was, due to the fact that it has a black and more pronounced raised seam, that it will move around a lot more early on, compared to the red ball. It also tends to reverse swing more later on. This coupled with the no toss rule could see lots of insertions and early wickets in the round of matches starting next Monday. There could also be a lot of declarations around 8pm to take advantage of the early evening conditions.

There were also concerns expressed that a lot of the matches will not last more than 3 days.

I fully expect Yorkshire to be batting on Monday, and with our fragile batting, Surrey to be also batting late on in the day.

I can not see how the England players are going to benefit from playing with a pink ball, when the conditions in June will be completely different than in August. Next week,it will not be dark when the match finishes, in August it will be dark for the last two hours (especially with the much slower over rates in test matches and later finishes).

An interesting week ahead.

How will the players adapt to the pink ball, will any of the matches go to the 4th day?

Will there be an increase in attendances. To late a finish for some for public transport?

Shirt-sleeve order during the day, three jumper time by 9pm?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 22, 2017 12:50 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login dikaiopolis)

Re: Next weeks matches

June 22 2017, 11:38 AM 

A three day match may not be a bad thing, as the Rhinos are at home on Thursday evening, so if it goes the full 4 days it's going to be pretty chaotic!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 22 2017, 12:45 PM 

cc day night matches scheduled ti finish at 9pm, better than 50 over games 9.45, but we know they can extend up to an hour.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 22 2017, 1:06 PM 

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 22 2017, 3:26 PM 

I'll be there as long as the weather is set fair.

I can actually get there and back by train, which will be a novelty and a relief.

Should be a good contest, though I don't think Sangakarra should play, he shouldn't be stopping out so late at his age.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk