<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

England injuries

June 22 2017 at 4:40 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Is Gary more or less likely to get selected now.

Stokes, Broad & Woakes could miss the first test. All seamers,but there could be a gap at 5 if Stokes does not play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40364130

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: England injuries

June 22 2017, 5:02 PM 

Stokes will play, even if it's solely as a batsman, would be my guess.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Foakes plays too.

A 6/7/8 of Stokes/Foakes/Woakes in the future would be quite something for the likes of Henry Blofeld to get spectacularly mixed up!!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 22 2017, 9:12 PM 

The nightmare scenario is that he is selected for the squad as cover for Stokes, just in case, but doesn't get a game.

1st test starts on the last day of the CC game v Somerset at Scarborough.

I suppose the ECB could even things up by picking a pair of Overton's as cover too.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 23 2017, 9:32 AM 

It's just a Hoakes if you ask me
...and speaking of Blowers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40378783

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Jun 23, 2017 9:33 AM

June 23 2017, 9:45 AM 

Thank God he's retiring and not before time! For at least the last 10 years he's constantly got names wrong, scores wrong etc, a total embarrassment.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 23 2017, 10:14 AM 

Foakes? Averaging 33 this year in County cricket

June 23 2017, 10:20 AM 

Joe Root averages 5 and Jonny Bairstow 4 but I'd still pick both of those in the team aswell.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 23 2017, 12:35 PM 

Hameed has just failed again, out for 2 in the second innings for the Lions (following 0 in the first). I've seen him a few times this season - makes Ballance's 2016 form look brilliant, can't buy a run. If England are watching (which I wouldn't bank on, having heard Eoin Morgan describe Livingstone as being selected at just the right time, when in form - which was a good month ago), he has no chance of making the first Test.

Perhaps Stoneman will force his way in, but I think Ballance is a certainty, and the idiots will probably play him at 3 again, against all the evidence.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 23 2017, 1:12 PM 

Yes his lions call up is clearly a test trial...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 23 2017, 2:10 PM 

The problems he was anticipating for the Stokes, Foakes, Woakes at 6, 7, 8 thing, and the confusion it may have caused him has possibly made Henry`s mind up for him re retiring.

Another of the TMS old diddering duffers gone, he will not be missed. I want commentary on cricket, not comments about pigeons, aeroplanes and fashion.

It was said of Swanton, that he was so much of a snob, that he was reluctant to share his car with his chauffeur. Blofeld strikes me as being very similar.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 23 2017, 2:39 PM 

I shall miss Blofeld as the last of the group including Don Mosey, CM-J, Brian Johnston, Trueman and the overseas guests - Tony Cozier and Alan McGilvray - who made Test Match Special unmissable listening in the 80s and 90s. Now we have to listen to the sniggers, smirks and chunter of a set of second-class recent ex-cricketers - Agnew, Marks, Swann, Tufnell. Thank goodness for Boycott.

June 23 2017, 2:44 PM 

I like Aggers and Marks, can tolerate Swann just about but Vaughan and Tufnell make my ears bleed. Boycott should also call time, long past his best.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

June 23 2017, 3:06 PM 

Second class players? I don't recall Blowers, CMJ or Brian Johnston winning many test caps.......

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 23 2017, 3:47 PM 

No, and there's the point: why does every commentator now have to be a former player? A mix of ex-players and others made for much more interesting mix of experience and perspectives.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 23 2017, 4:00 PM 

As one who can go back to Freddie Brown, Rex Alston and Norman Yardley (for provincial colour) I'd regard Blofeld as a man of the people!
I don't regret his passing. His style fitted well with Arlott, Johnson et al but not these days.
Personally, I think the best recent innovation in TMS has been the introduction of a few women, who seem cheerful, competent broadcasters with the added advantage of having played the game this century. They're a league ahead of the Radio Five Live sports pool people who periodically supplement the team.
Of the summarisers, I'm very fond of Vic Marks and I have a soft spot for Tufnell.
Swann and Vaughan were wonderful cricketers but are too 'laddish' for my taste in the commentary box.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk