Assistant Moderator

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Ireland & Afganistan....

June 23 2017, 2:26 PM 

Call me Mr Cynical, but it would not surprise me that Headingley host the first test match v Ireland or Afganistan, as we always get the bum deal in test match allocations.

I also wonder who will be the first team to risk going to Afganistan and open the bowling from the bomb crater end!!

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

June 23 2017, 4:14 PM 

I live in Ireland and have been following their cricket over the last 10 years, huge strides have been made in professionalising the sport over here and I'm delighted they have finally made it but the team has declined in the last couple of years which could make for some one sided encounters, hopefully they can now retain their international stars (will Eoin Morgan drop out to play test cricket for his home nation? I don't think so either.)

Afghanistan have been sensational and just keep getting better and better, the team has a strong contingent of refugees who live in Pakistan and don't play any matches on home turf, they have played their home fixtures in Pakistan, India and Dubai.
Rashid Khan is a superstar so England better make sure they don't play the Afghans at the Oval of a certain spinners 16 wicket haul could be beaten.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 23 2017, 4:40 PM 

There are some parallels between Zimbabwe and Ireland - cricketing ones, not political, at least not at this moment. I was remembering that Southern Rhodesia used to play as one of the provinces in the S African Currie Cup; and Ireland have appeared in various County competitions, though never the first-class one, down the years. Does either country have enough strength in numbers to justify Test status?

It would be good to see Ireland's cricketers emulate their rugby teams, not just the Test team but the 'four proud provinces' also....but who will they play, apart from one another?

The Afghan story has been a wonderful one, young men taking up cricket instead of guns, and playing with the same sort of passion you get from Pakistan, but rarely from India.

The International cricket community needs to get behind all its members; something that has been lacking since the India / England / Australia carve up. West Indies must be given all possible help, but India were threatening to sue them! South Africa is going to need help too, or they will be gone within a few years.

(Login dpressed)

June 23 2017, 7:49 PM 

I can just imaging an Ireland vs Afghanistan test match being playted at Stormont (where Yorkshire played a one day match against Ireland in (I think) 2005.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 24 2017, 9:57 AM 

Good news. I want to see test cricket continue and grow and develop. Some test teams seem to have given up the ghost in pursuit of t20 money with the West Indies being a prime example.

New test nations keeps the longer format going.

So will Rankin, Morgan and Joyce all be in the first test team?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 24 2017, 12:12 PM 

Actually, I would be hugely tempted to pop over to Ireland to watch a couple of Tests (against anyone), combined with a holiday in that lovely country - provided it didn't clash with the County Championship, as it won't, unless Ireland are planning to play their Tests at a silly time of year, too.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk