<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Next weeks team

June 22 2017 at 6:27 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Changes needed.

Just a suggestion

KC, Brook, Root, Hanscomb, Ballance, Bairstow, Bresnan, Rashid, Plunkett, Coad, Siddy.

Brooks seems off it this season and time for changes in the batting.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 22, 2017 6:27 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Next weeks team

June 22 2017, 8:11 PM 

Quite like the idea of Plunkett for Brooks. Maybe leaving both openers out is a bridge too far - and I guess it would only be for one game - one of them will have to come in for Root after next week's game you would think.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 22 2017, 8:28 PM 

I'd go with:

Lyth
Brook
Handscomb
Root
Ballance
Bairstow
Bresnan
Rashid
Brooks
Coad
Sidebottom

(Login WhiteroseDave)

June 22 2017, 9:20 PM 

Bairstow is a HUGE plus for us, more so than Root I think, also nothing against Hodd who I'm pretty happy with. The biggest thing is with him playing Bresnan and Rashid at 7 & 8 makes our batting line up look strong, even with all the runs Tim scored last year I always feel like having those two at 6 & 7 is pushing it a bit.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 22 2017, 9:38 PM 

I'm a sucker for these.

Took some thinking about although I think the 8 marked* pick themselves if fit.

I'd keep Brook in the squad as 12th man, see if he can pick up any tips on batting at 3 from Root. TKC has done well enough in the 2nds this week and it will be good to see how he goes in a big match.

Lyth
TKC
Root*
Hanscombe*
Ballance*
Bairstow*
Bresnan*
Rashid*
Plunkett
Coad*
Sidebottom*

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 22 2017, 9:53 PM 

Kohler Cadmore isn't an opener in red ball cricket though.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 22 2017, 9:59 PM 

I would suggest he couldn't do worse than the openers we have at our disposal at the moment.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 23 2017, 12:56 AM 

The team that won us two titles, with minor variations:

1. Lyth
2. Lees
3. Root (or overseas batsman)
4. Gale - substitute Ballance
5. Ballance - substitute Handscomb
6. Bairstow
7. Rashid
8. Bresnan
9. Patterson
10.Brooks
11.Sidebottom

So what's changed, apart from captain and overseas batsman?

On the minus side: Openers short of runs, Brooks yet to find his best.
On the plus side: Some plausible reserves, including Brook at the top and Hodd in good form in the middle; the emergence of Coad.

Now, as then, Plunkett is an alternative to Brooks.

I wouldn't expect them to change much. There's the option of continuing with young Brook, and it may be what they do. I'm sure he wouldn't be too disappointed to be displaced by Joe Root! But playing him might be the correct decision for the team, right now.

I would expect Coad to play,instead of either Brooks or Patterson, while Plunkett for Brooks might liven up an attack that is looking a bit 'samey'. Kohler-Cadmore and Leaning have both made big runs for the 2nd XI which may, or may not, be relevant. (Relevant for selection, I mean - obviously they're relevant to players and club.)

I'm sure Gale and Ballance will come up with a good combination. Taunton proved they're not afraid to make tough selection decisions. Which Yorkshire bowlers have got Sangakkara out in the past? I don't know the answer, but I bet the management do.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

June 23 2017, 6:12 AM 

There is a Lions match starting on the Thursday, possible Coad or Ballance could be in that. It's the day after the final T20 so Plunkett and Willey might not be made available

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 23 2017, 7:33 AM 

There is an argument to say now id the best time to play Brook when he knows he has Root, Bairstow, Ballance to come in, there's less pressure to be the big run scorer.

I wouldn't mind TKC coming in but he would have to open in this match as there isn't room down the order. When we lose Bairstow and Root the question is who are the best two batsmen from Lees / Brook / TKC / Leaning and one of them has to open. If Ballance goes we need three of them.

In terms of bowlers, for me Sidebottom, Coad and Bresnan all pick themselves. I'm happy with the others rotating depending on form, fitness and the situation.

Is Bresnan going to be available? If not do we play another seamer or go for an all rounder like Waite (or Willey?) Please not Willey.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 23 2017, 8:20 AM 

Have we gone in to panic mode already?

Some of these sides look to pretty much change half the team.

Some change will be forced on us by the ECB so Root and Bairstow get a game. Other changes will be welcomed with the return of Bresnan to give us more balance. Some others may be felt necessary due to loss of form.

So Brook gets big runs in the 2s and earns a promotion. Now TKC has done likewise so he is thought to deserve a first team game. What about Leaning who also scored a ton yesterday and only a few games ago scores a ton for the first team?

Do we overlook Brooks duck at Lords as we all want to highlight Lyth and Lees failures?

I'm tempted to put Lords shambles down as a one off and hope the embarrassment serves its purpose. With four returning from England (exclude Willey as not a four day option for me if all free) then we have enough changes to make.

Lyth
Brook
Root
Hands mob
Bairstow
Balance
Bresnan
Rashid
Plunkett
Siddy
Coad

I fancy plunkett in a day nighter for some reason. Raw pace under lights may benefit.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 23 2017, 8:53 AM 

Whatever team is picked we have a growing number of players with first team experience who will be left out.

If we take Stu's team at the top that will leave:

Brooks, Patterson, Hodd, Rafiq, Lees, Leaning, Lyth, Fisher, Rhodes, Waite and Willey, all fit and not playing.

Tricky player rotation policy needed to keep everyone happy and motivated.

T20 should help and I hope we see Fisher and Rhodes back in the mix.

On the downside the weather for next Monday to Thursday doesn't look great this far out.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

June 26 2017, 10:59 AM 

There was some small piece in the Mail yesterday about Plunkett not being picked for Yorkshire for todays game even though he wanted to play. Not seen anything but then I've been mega busy at work !

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk