<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Surrey Squad

June 23 2017 at 11:53 AM
Guest  (Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Bresnan, Bairstow, Brook, Brooks, Coad, Handscomb, Lees, Lyth, Patto, Rashid, Root, Sidey.

No Ballance, who's with The Lions.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Surrey Squad

June 23 2017, 11:56 AM 

tim bresnan captain

(Login matthefish2002)

June 23 2017, 12:01 PM 

Would have thought playing v Surrey with a pink ball is far better for Balance to see how he gets on with his colour blindness and new glasses.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

June 23 2017, 1:36 PM 

Selecting Ballance for the Lions is just typical England nonsense. They know his capabilities and know he is in top form so playing for the Lions rather than for Yorkshire against Surrey will tell the selectors nothing - it is just the usual anti Yorkshire ECB bias to give the other London team a better chance at Headingley.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 23 2017, 1:51 PM 

The whole idea of the day/night round of County matches with a pink ball is so the England test players get used to playing under these conditions, so Ballance gets picked for the England Lions and misses that opportunity.

If they are thinking of picking him for the tests, it would be common-sense, for anyone apart from the ECB, for him to play next week for us v Surrey.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 23 2017, 1:58 PM 

I just don't understand the point of Lions matches in the English season. Take them on a foreign tour, fine. But they are the top players for each team playing good cricket. Now they have to play against the Saffers who aren't good enough to get a Kolpak contract?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 23 2017, 2:12 PM 

"I just don't understand the point of Lions matches in the English season. Take them on a foreign tour, fine"

Brilliant, so you expect other cricket playing nations to host England Lions tours and take their own players out of F/C matches etc to benefit England but we shouldn't then host them in return. Who says the English are arrogant? happy.gif

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 23 2017, 2:23 PM 

That does sound worse that I thought in my head!

But sometimes they've taken squads for more of a training camp over the winter, I suppose that was what I was meaning.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 23 2017, 2:34 PM 

Next week's game is against the full SA team, not their A team. Far from meaningless from Gary's point of view. They've made him captain too.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

June 23 2017, 2:40 PM 

I suppose we have to be pleased for him...but Dammit!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 24 2017, 12:01 PM 

"Brilliant, so you expect other cricket playing nations to host England Lions tours and take their own players out of F/C matches etc to benefit England but we shouldn't then host them in return. Who says the English are arrogant?"

Have the England Lions actually disrupted first-class cricket in other countries? Looking back to when the Lions played Pakistan A in Dubai last year, I see that the games began in late January after the Quaid-e-Azam trophy had finished on the 6th. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this subject, so I'd just like to see what the evidence is.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk