<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: BREAKING NEWS l Gary Ballance called up to the England Lions

June 23 2017, 4:20 PM 

Farce once again, getting really tired now of the constant flow of news that the ECB in their wisdom keep coming up with not just re YCCC players constant non availability but their tunnel vision towards the England team and the devaluing of the CC. They will reap what they sow I wont be investing in full membership ever again and sure Im not on my own.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 23 2017, 4:36 PM 

With a £1bn TV contract just around the corner I'm not convinced your non renewal will dent the coffers too much, therein may lies the ECB thoughts.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 23 2017, 4:48 PM 

Why cut your nose off to spite your face. If you're a Yorkshire fan membership is fantastic value. Even if ecb,take all our players we can watch the youngsters coming through. I rarely miss a day and wouldn't miss it for the world.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 23 2017, 5:17 PM 

How would that help? The ECB wouldn't give a toss if county membership and attendance dropped. In fact they'd welcome it. Only Yorkshire would suffer!

This message has been edited by twelthman on Jun 23, 2017 5:18 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 23 2017, 5:34 PM 

Agree, only Yorkshire would suffer, and it would give the ECB even more ammunition to cut the CC and the domestic competitions even more, citing falling memberships and attendances as a reason.

The best, and in my view the only way, to make an impact on the ECB is for everyone to stop going to any International match.

But lets face it, that will never happen.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 23 2017, 6:39 PM 

You're right Stu, that will never happen. But if it did, county cricket would be finished anyway. Bankrupt.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

June 23 2017, 7:17 PM 

Its all sad news lately in my opinion regarding our game which Im slowly falling out with, even listening to BBC commentaries all they seem to talk about is England and players who could step up etc.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 23 2017, 7:32 PM 

At least with more players coming through it should spread the load. 5 players from one county is ridiculous. More players coming in will release people back to us.

(Login dpressed)

June 23 2017, 7:37 PM 

Yorkshire are now saying Ballance is available to us for the first 2 days. I hope he doesn't do a Trescoithick when he was Somerset captain. In a match at Headingley Zum won the toss & put Yorkshire in. At the time Mrs Tresco was heavily pregnant & after the first day decided it was time. So after not batting Marcus disappeared back home leaving the team a batsman (& captain) short. Yorkshire won the match.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 23 2017, 10:41 PM 

It's all a bit of a mess if you ask me.

I see Jennings is also playing 2 days for Durham so I presume the entire Lions squad will be available for their Counties for 2 days. Every county is playing in this round too.

In the case of Lancashire and Middlesex they have 2 each in the squad.

You couldn't make it up.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 24 2017, 6:53 AM 

I suppose the real question is why schedule a Lions match at the same time as the one and only CC match that's important to the ECB?

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 24 2017, 7:44 AM 

Or if they really want to have it at the same time, they could have made the lions match a day/night match as well

(Login dpressed)

June 24 2017, 8:38 AM 

On the up side at least we have Root & Bairstow so losing Ballance isn't the disaster it could have been

(Login BrickyardBoy)

June 24 2017, 9:45 AM 

It is high time that the whole England Lions set up is consigned to the rubbish bin of history too which it belongs.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 24 2017, 9:52 AM 

Yes only one team from these islands should be allowed to have the name Lions. And they are playing today

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

June 24 2017, 10:32 AM 

Yes, Congratulations to Gary Ballance on his promotion to The England Lions, as Captain as well. A promotion from playing Surrey to playing the full South African Test Team/Squad. With possibly a further promotion on the way back into the England side. A just reward for the fantastic performances he's put in at County Championship Division 1 level. The ECB & Selectors take performances in the Championship seriously, they value the Championship highly by promoting the best players in it to The Lions & England.

I'll also take this opportunity to congratulate Tom Kohler-Cadmore on his own recent promotion from Division 2 cricket to Division 1 cricket. Lest we forget, Tom earned that promotion from Division 2 by scoring a shedload of runs. An added bonus of Gary's promotion to The England Lions is that it may allow someone like Tom Kohler Cadmore to be promoted to play at a higher level.

Indeed, if it isn't Tom, maybe it'll be Harry Brook. Harry you may recall has recently been promoted to the Yorkshire First XI from England U19 & Yorkshire 2nd XI cricket. Harry has done well at the lower level & was justly rewarded with that promotion.

Maybe, England Captain Joe Root had a hand in Gary Ballance's promotion to play again at a higher level. You may remember Joe, he barely gets a chance to play for Sheffield Collegiate any more. Having himself enjoyed a number of promotions to higher levels through his performances. Although some people at Abbeydale Park are still aggrieved that Yorkshire do not release Joe more often, that really is unrealistic & I don't blame Yorkshire for one moment. He deserves his promotion to a higher level of cricket. Good luck to him.

I'm sure Gary, Tom, Harry & Joe are proud of their achievements in being promoted to play at a higher level. A step maybe on the way to playing at the very highest level. Although, I'm sure you'll agree, Joe has already achieved that. What cricket fan would deny these fellows the chance to be promoted & pitch their skills at a higher level? I salute them ALL on their way. That's the game I love. You play well at this level, you earn the right to be promoted to a higher level.

(Look for the words Promotion or Promoted)

Phil

www.twitter.com/ball_sup

Blog Address
www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 24 2017, 11:10 AM 

And amen to that!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 24 2017, 11:11 AM 

Nobody disputes any of that Phil, it's the stupidity of the scheduling of a lions game coinciding with county games with a pink ball under lights for first time and then the crass disregard for county cricket by allowing players to come and go mid match

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

June 24 2017, 11:20 AM 

ThirdUmp

The thing about scheduling a match is that you need two teams. This is South Africa the Lions are playing. You know, the ones who are currently playing T20 Internationals & who are preparing to play a Test Series. Have this one on me. You can only schedule when the opposition are available to play.

I sort of take your point about Subs in County games as I'm down the line First Class is First Class. But, at least the ECB are trying to/have a way of getting international players into County games.

Phil

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 24 2017, 12:09 PM 

No-one is disputing the fact that players want to play for England and see it as the pinnacle of their career. It is the crazy scheduling.

Last week we had the Champions Trophy clashing with the RLODC k/o matches. Next week we have all 18 teams playing in the CC, an England Lions match and the Final of the RLODC. They also have decided next week is the day/night games with the pink ball.

Why not play the day/night games 1 or 2 weeks before the day/night test. This week they could have played the Lions match and the k/o RLODC matches, so they could have selected the Lions teams from the non-participating teams in that comp, with no clashes and all England players available.

All it needs is a bit of thought and planning in advance.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 24, 2017 12:12 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk