Ben Coad
Peter Handscomb
Alex Lees
Adam Lyth
Steven Patterson
Adil Rashid
Joe Root
Ryan Sidebottom

Coupled with the dodgy forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday, if Surrey bat first Gary might not actually bat under lights and with the pink ball.

This weeks exercise is to get the test players used to a pink ball and day/night cricket. Joe and Jonny will get that practice. Gary may not as the ECB, in their "wisdom" have decided that Gary has to "prove" himself by playing for the Lions despite having an average of 101.88 in the CC this year and a test average of 39.25 from 21 tests.

As for the match itself, I assume Patto will be left out and Brook will be the sub for Ballance. Still no news on Tim`s wife`s birth yet, so he could be missing, and why no KC still?

I worry about Joe and Jonny - remember the last time they played for us after no 4 day cricket for weeks. Less than 10 between them in 4 innings.

Surrey definately have the edge batting wise, as they have everyone available for them and all are in good form. A first 4 of Stoneman, Roy, Borthwick and Sanga looks formidable with Burns & Foakes to follow. Not over confident for us, but hoping that at long last our openers find some form and our batting functions as a unit instead of being reliant on one player.

I expect us to be batting first, and fear that Surrey will also be batting on the first day, but hope I am wrong. These pink balls seam and swing a lot more than the red ones, so batting will not be easy.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Yorks v Surrey CC pre-match thread

June 24 2017, 5:59 PM 

If it swings and seams I fancy us to win this game any day of the week. We're not Derbyshire, we shouldn't fear anybody.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 24 2017, 8:23 PM 

Granted Bairstow and Root haven't had much four day cricket but nor has Roy. Borthwick Burns and Foakes are all averaging under 40 this season. Foakes averaging 33. If Ballance gets to bat and Root and JB continue their summer form I'd say the top six were pretty evenly matched overall.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 24 2017, 10:06 PM 

Will Roy and more importantly will Tom Curran be playing for Surrey!

Surely like Plunkett and Willey they are tied to the England T20 team for all 3 matches!.

Don't mind Roy playing of course as I don't rate him in CC but Tom Curran would be a loss for them.

Bairstow, unlike Roy, picked for first 2 matches only to allow him to play for Yorkshire.

Tom Curran doesn't have an England contract so I suppose in theory Surrey can play him if they want.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 25 2017, 8:46 AM 

Why can't they all play in the county game as it's last t20 game today and the county matches start at 2 as day nighters. The ECB want players to get day night experience so are encouraging it to happen bar those in lions game

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 25 2017, 9:35 AM 

Plunkett and Willey are not on a full central contrac so could play but presumably Yorks didn't want to select them?

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

June 25 2017, 10:26 AM 

Mike Selvey saying that Plunkett has been left out by us and will be playing for the Lions instead.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 25 2017, 6:05 PM 

Surrey will be at full strength, as "Team England" stated that no-one from the two RLODC finalists (Notts & Surrey)would be selected for the Lions match, and no-one has. We have to play our quarter-final with 5 missing, but Surrey & Notts are guaranteed a full strength side next Saturday.

Full Surrey 14 man Squad (from their OS)

Gareth Batty (captain)
Scott Borthwick
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Ben Foakes (wk)
Mark Footitt
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Jason Roy
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 25, 2017 7:01 PM

(Login WhiteroseDave)

June 25 2017, 7:02 PM 

With everyone available (at least for 2 days) for both teams I think that these are the two strongest teams in the country. Both have excellent batting line ups but I think we edge it in the bowling department. Fingers crossed for a great game with us just sneaking the win.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 25 2017, 7:10 PM 

Unless the pink ball produces a result in three days at best, I fear this will be a rather soggy, anticlimax of a draw.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 25 2017, 7:21 PM 

Three fine days and a wet Wednesday.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 25 2017, 7:56 PM 

I do hope the weather forecast changes for the better, I've only got Wednesday penciled in as I've foolishly promised my time to something else.

Desperately thinking of possible excuses so I can go Tuesday, especially if we're batting.

Remember this fixture last season and I still smile at the memory of Bairstow and Root hitting boundaries for fun.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 25 2017, 8:06 PM 

Tuesday & Wednesday both look poor, according to the weekly forecast.

Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

June 25 2017, 8:17 PM 

EGM - Day 1 - 12 noon - chase the dream......
Give up ownership of part of the ground again. Having borrowed to the hilt to buy it in the first place. New faceless owners rent it to Leeds Council who rent it to us. Makes perfect sense. Need to up the borrowing limit. You know ..... just in case.

PHIL

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

Yorks v Surrey pre-match thread

June 25 2017, 9:56 PM 

Geoff B - I agree, that was a great day. Some pictures to remind you of that Root and Bairstow partnership.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125214322@N07/albums/72157668230555945

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk