<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Chris Waters on the Gary Ballance England Lions' call-up

June 24 2017 at 10:33 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

" This week I have been mostly seeing red about England’s decision to withdraw Yorkshire captain Gary Ballance from the second half of the pink-ball County Championship match against Surrey at Headingley starting on Monday....Enough is enough, as the saying goes, because supporters are fed up of being treated like this, their devotion and dedication taken for granted." - Chris Waters

Article
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Chris Waters on the Gary Ballance England Lions' call-up

June 26 2017, 8:54 AM 

No responses surprised me to this post but most are on the other thread. However well said Chris and good to see a local journalist understand the local viewpoint.

Ball Sup Phil
(Login ball_sup)

June 26 2017, 9:16 AM 

Yes. Chris Waters understands ONE local viewpoint. Mine is one of immense pride that both Ballance & Plunkett have pushed themselves back into England contention. Their selection for The Lions gives them a further chance to press their clams. Bat forever & bowl like the wind. Go well.....

Phil

(Login BrickyardBoy)

June 26 2017, 9:29 AM 

Are these Lions games considered to be First Class fixtures?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 26 2017, 10:37 AM 

Yes, they are most definitely first class fixtures.

Ball Sup Phil
(Login ball_sup)

June 26 2017, 10:55 AM 

Indeed. Played with a bat & a ball. With the England Selectors & Coaches looking on. Marvellous.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 26 2017, 11:45 AM 

I'd still rather be at headingley watching Yorkshire though.

Of course I want our players to progress to higher sides. That means they will be performing well to do so which is for the good of our team.

Sometimes Phil I think your posts make out some of us are idiots. We understand that England have first call and successful players for counties will be called up. It's just the way the county game is being treated with disdain by allowing players to be treated as mere pawns in the whole affair and told where and when to be irrespective of the implications.

So England get themselves between a rock and a hard place re Ballance. They want to see how he will do v the Saffers but they want him to play a day nighter which in his case is key with colour blindness. So they have to get him to play in both games. Hence it's the scheduling at fault. Yes we need two teams to make a game but actually sometimes you need three if some of your team are only available half the time.

The Lions game has had to be squeezed between t20 and the first test. At the same time as the counties trial day nighters.... madness

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk