<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Surrey at Leeds (Day One)

June 26 2017, 5:00 PM 

Even stevens at lunch having decided to bat, I would have thought.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 26 2017, 5:04 PM 

Yorkshire haven't been fortunate with the toss recently.
Not being there I can't say how much of an advantage it will be to Surrey this time. The omens don't look great though.
Very disappointed to see that Sidebottom is unavailable. Coad and Patterson do the same job. Plunkett might have been very useful as an alternative.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

June 26 2017, 5:21 PM 

what is worse our bowling or batting - our bowling is mediocre at times - it has basically been coad and Sidebottom
and no one else

we look a poor side currently

may be glad of the poor forecast

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 26 2017, 5:39 PM 

Unless Sidds was injured, "resting"'him from a pivotal match against a strong Surrey batting lineup, looks like a major tactical error. With the match really starting to get away from us now, this is exactly the situation we need partnership-breaker like Sidebottom. I hope I am wrong, but our Championship aspirations certainly look to be in serious jeopardy.

Come on lads!
""

Alibor2
(Login Alibor2)

June 26 2017, 5:41 PM 

Have to agree that we have looked a poor side recently, with misfiring opening batsmen, brittle middle order and only two seam bowlers looking like wicket takers. All the chopping and changing with England messing us about and poor fixture arrangements are again conspiring against us and we could be struggling to keep our first division status. Wish we had been more ambitious and outward looking with finding a successor to Gillespie. The Moxon/Gale combination was never going to set the heather on fire.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 26 2017, 5:45 PM 

Roy is smacking us all over in proper cricket. I'll assume it's a misprint.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 26 2017, 5:59 PM 

Alibor - you talk as though Moxon and Gale played no part in our recent success. Is that really what you believe?

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

June 26 2017, 6:00 PM 

Let's wait and see how it goes into the late evening before writing Yorkshire off. I still back our team to challenge for the championship. We have a great side. Yes there really issues with form but also don't forget other factors as well.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 26 2017, 6:06 PM 

We've looked a very mediocre side over the past few games. Our usually effective attack looks distinctively average and the less said about our batting the better.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

June 26 2017, 6:07 PM 

Good for Jack.
Can someone tell Cally to turn his radio off? I have just heard that Welsh skinny bloke give the W Yorks weather.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 26 2017, 6:56 PM 

Is the crowd bigger or smaller than usual?

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

June 26 2017, 6:59 PM 

Congratulations to Tim Bresnan on his 500th wicket

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 26 2017, 7:25 PM 

Congratulations to Tim.

We are a little bit behind at the moment I think but if we can slow them down and get another 2 or 3 wickets today then honours even.

Maybe something will happen with the pink ball when we get a new one and the lights take effect.

I'm clutching!

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 26 2017, 8:35 PM 

Shaping up to be another 500 score to contend with.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 26 2017, 9:03 PM 

I've just seen the forecast for the rest of the game. There is a chance there won't be any more play!

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 26 2017, 9:03 PM 

Essex going well again, slightly better forecast for the next three days down there as well. Championship hopes fading fast.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 26 2017, 10:40 PM 

Strange sort of a day. Very flat atmosphere, flat from the crowd, flat from Yorkshire. Normal attendance, and it didn't seem to swell after school/work. It was cold after 8 pm.

It looked a flat pitch too, especially with Bad Brooks bowling on it. Coad was excellent with both new balls, and Bresnan and Patterson in harness slowed Surrey down from 4.5 per over. Rashid bowled a few bad balls, but not so many as his figures might suggest.

As for Surrey, Burns is excruciating to watch - like Luke Procter, but more so. I've spent the last few weeks slagging off Roy, so it was inevitable that he would bat well. I quite enjoyed his innings, full of sweet timing, and no slogging, no loss of shape.

Sangakkara was what he is, 100% class. Credit to Coad for defeating him a few times. And that was that. Our new wicket-keeper doesn't look anything like as good as the old one.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

June 26 2017, 10:43 PM 

I think we need to accept that we are a team in decline - at a time when other counties are putting together very good four-day outfits (a silver lining for me - a few years ago, I thought some counties were simply giving up proper cricket).

There has been an arc from the low of 11, the promotion of 12, the near miss of 13, the two titles of 14 and 15, another near miss in 16 and now a bit of a struggle again this year. The bowling attack has lost a bit of edge, a few batsmen are not what they were. It is all exacerbated by the fact that 7 or 8 of our squad are either absent or (inevitably) not wholly with us when present.

We need to be patient, but we also need an overhaul. The last five years have been the best in my 43 seasons (the one disappointment has been not to win a one-day competition), but there doesn't seem to be a quick route back to the top.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 26 2017, 11:18 PM 

Reports of flatness from the players as well as underperforming is really rather worrying. I really fear our season is just going to peter out (I won't go any further than that but worse isn't out of the question). I hope the players can lift themselves for the T20, our last shot at silverware. There's nothing worse as a regular attendee and follower than watching us struggle in front of bigger crowds with a lot people who don't watch regularly leaving disappointed.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 26 2017, 11:40 PM 

todays crowd 2595, after 5pm 494.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk