<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Will Rhodes

June 27 2017 at 5:34 PM
Guest  (Login WhiteroseDave)

Has joined Warwickshire as of the end of the season. I'm surprised by that, thought he may be given a chance in the Bresnan role in the next year or two. I expect (and hope) that he'll do well for Warwickshire next year and beyond, although probably in the second division next year.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: Will Rhodes

June 27 2017, 5:39 PM 

I'm surprised no team has taken him on loan this season.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 27 2017, 5:56 PM 

It's a shame but he really hasn't kicked on. And Matthew Waite has jumped ahead of him in the pecking order.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 27 2017, 6:00 PM 

Interesting - suspect the Bears may have got a decent signing there

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 27 2017, 6:47 PM 

Slightly troubled by this, as he has a good cv as England u19 captain, and did ok when tried out of position as opener. The chance has never really occurred to give him a run in the middle order. Now, as had been said, others have overtaken him. There hasn't been a release to regret for years, despite some forum fulminations about Wainwright. This might become one, though really you can't hang on to someone indefinitely. It is neither fair nor economic.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 27 2017, 7:13 PM 

Yes sorry to hear this and thought he deserved more of a chance in a settled role but showed an unselfish attitude by having a go where needed and going out on loan last year to Essex.

Bit of another Gary Fellows perhaps where neither his batting nor his bowling was quite good enough to get him in the team but the two together gave the team some balance and a longer tail .

Good luck with the bears who saw Westwood retire yesterday.

And perhaps Worcester might watch how you treat a player who is moving on.

Regrets about letting a player go? Jim Laker, Brian Close and Ray Illingworth with Bill Athey a more recent contender....

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 27 2017, 8:13 PM 

Ashley Giles on R5SX mentions Rhodes could join early if Yorkshire are prepared to let him go.

Yorkshire saying they need him as cover at the moment but things may change.

Once again Giles clearing way for relegation by talking about a re-building job.

JG
(Login _JG_)

June 27 2017, 8:14 PM 

Agree with Idle Man, I'm a bit disappointed by this. Rhodes' CV is indeed very impressive, he did quite well when given a chance in an unfamiliar role as an opener before he was probably ready for first team cricket, and subsequently I can't remember him really having a run in the side. Waite may have jumped ahead of him in white ball cricket but I think Rhodes is a better red ball player, but with Bresnan filling the batting all-rounder's role so well in the last couple of years his path to the Championship side has been blocked. I can see why he feels the need to leave but I'm worried we'll come to regret this in future years.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

June 27 2017, 8:46 PM 

The biggest loss in more recent years was that of James Middlebrook, who after a thoroughly good career elsewhere, came back at Yorkshire's need into the in 2015 side and did an outstanding job.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 27 2017, 8:59 PM 

At a time when I believe we may be entering a period of reconstruction, Will Rhodes is just the sort of player we need.
He hasn't been given much of a chance lately. I suppose this may be because he hasn't shown signs of progress. On the other hand the lack of progress may be because he hasn't been given much of a chance!

Good luck to the lad. I feel sure Warwickshire have made a good signing.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

June 27 2017, 10:21 PM 

I was also a bit dissapointed because he is still young and he has a lot to offer.

Scored well for the seconds and provides a bowling option.

It suggests to me that TKC was incoming whilst Rhodes was a planned outgoing.

Agree also that Waite has pressed ahead of Rhodes as arguably a batting all rounder at 6/7.

When you factor in Bresnan, Waite, Rashid and even Willey - We have a lot of all round depth.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 27 2017, 10:38 PM 

There will always be differing views of course but I don't think it can reasonably be argued that he has done enough in the last 2 seasons to justify a new contract.

These things happen and even a cricketer has to go where the work is.

I hope he has a stinker whenever he is playing against us, but otherwise I wish him well.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Will Rhodes

June 27 2017, 11:36 PM 

I recall him as a vibrant and authoritative captain of the Academy. In those days he was very much a top order batsman who bowled a bit. It was surprising when he was introduced to the first team's T20 side as a 5th. bowler, batting at nine.
I do feel that our failure to exploit his batting further, in a season when several others have struggled, may have contributed to his decision.
He was a member of the second eleven side which, earlier this season won the one day trophy. The oldest player was 24 (James Wainman). We cannot reasonably expect all this younger talent to be content to put their careers on hold until gaps appear. The worry is that when we need replacements for ageing players, some of the better youngsters will have already departed.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 28 2017, 7:38 AM 

Disappointed but perhaps the right decision. We're in a Period of transition with Leaning, TKC, Willey, Brook, Wainmann, Fisher, Carver and Coad all hoping for first team cricket (All apart from Coad looking almost but not quite good enough yet.)

Both the management and the players will have to make a decisions about who is the most likely to break through. Somewill be content with only playing occasional white ball cricket for now but you can't keep them all happy and Rhodes now being 22 probably feels regular first team cricket is the best thing for him now.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 28 2017, 8:13 AM 

Agree that we have a lot of all rounders which makes it hard to see how he might have featured in the immediate future. What we don't have is proven quality batting back up. I think the shame is that Rhodes never developed for whatever reason into a top six batsman who bowled a bit. What we would give right now for someone like that.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 28 2017, 10:09 AM 

He is a classy cricketer who needs regular First Class exposure to develop. This is the right move for him; you can't be an apprentice all your life.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 28 2017, 10:41 AM 

I'm also a bit surprised by this. Warwickshire are in desperate need of decent batsmen and will presumably have earmarked Rhodes as someone they can work with after his excellent innings at Edgbaston a couple of years ago. When OHD moved here, they turned him into a better cricketer than he had been at Yorkshire - not least by drastically improving his fielding and batting. If Rhodes becomes the elegant batsman I think he could be, then at least I suppose I'll have the opportunity of seeing him - though that will be tinged with some regret.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 28 2017, 8:57 PM 

I'm sure we'll regret this one. We don't get may wrong but this time I'm sure we've made an error of judgement.

The mistake Will made was bowling and consequently being viewed as the next Bres, his bowling is unlikely to ever be good enough for him to be considered an all rounder. If he'd been viewed solely as a batter I think he'd now be our regular number 5. I'm totally of the opinion he's a better bat than Jack Leaning. I've seen him several times for the 2s, he'll make the grade.

He could have been our next Mags, well almost our next Mags I don't think his batting will ever be quite that good, but a front line batsman capable of bowling a few useful overs.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 28 2017, 9:23 PM 

It must be difficult running the side at the moment. We've been bemoaning the lack of consistent quality in the batting, yet we're also saying it may be a mistake allowing Rhodes to go when he can't get in the side. I have a feeling that if we had given him a run of four championship matches at no 6 he might have come good and cemented a place, but there was no way you could justify giving him that run. All a bit sad really.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Rhodes

June 30 2017, 5:35 PM 

I don't know where Giles is coming from from saying that he sees Rhodes as a genuine all-rounder.Surely he has so far been a batsman who bowls a bit.Perhaps Warwickshire have assured him that he will play more of a role with the ball?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk