<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A bit of flexibility

June 28 2017 at 9:55 AM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

It may well be that due to the weather this time around the ECB will want to repeat the Pink Ball experiment again next year.

Before anybody falls off their chair I would suggest in fairness it should be tried at the reverse fixtures where possible, and certainly the home teams this time should be the away team next. Some issues with promotion and relegation and lack of floodlights of course would need to be addressed.

I think in a scenario with decent weather some inner city clubs, Surrey, Middlesex, Notts and others to a lesser extent, could well see a decent increase in turnover as people turn up for an evenings entertainment, perhaps a meal and a couple of drinks midweek.

That being the case for, the case against is a lot of loyal cricket followers, mostly members will probably miss the final session and their resentment will rise.

My preference is to leave the pink ball stuff to Test matches if they want to go that way.

Perhaps we could have a little flexibility (finally got there) about start times, perhaps during June and July, using a red ball.

A 12.30 start should get the overs in by 20.00 giving a decent wedge of cricket for those only able to attend after work/uni/school. Members with public transport issues could perhaps stay a little bit longer.

It needn't be for every game or even for every day of the game as long as we all know in good time and can plan accordingly.

I'm thinking mostly of all those pints we have to sell to remain solvent!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: A bit of flexibility

June 28 2017, 10:06 AM 

I think the hope is that the pink ball may become the choice for ALL cricket, replacing the red one for FC and the white one for List A, whether or not the game are played under lights.

As a traditionalist, I have no problem with that at all, just as long as the players can see it, and the umpires, and those spectators who can see the red and white ones, too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 28 2017, 8:34 PM 

Daft question but what colour sight screens do they have with pink balls?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 28 2017, 8:52 PM 

White sight-screen, but I think black would be okay, too. Most grounds, including Headingley, have banks of white seats, but I can recall few with a pink background, except Sydney on Jane McGrath day!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/12205071773/in/album-72157640287633843/

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk