<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Team in decline

July 2 2017, 2:06 PM 

Bairstow wanted to play last September but Root remained silent. Perhaps he felt he needed the rest. Yorkshire will be even less of a priority for Joe now that he's England captain, and nobody can blame him for that.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 2 2017, 2:13 PM 

Doesn't getting someone to field as 12th man for Root also lead to doubts about the integrity of the competition

(Login dpressed)

July 2 2017, 2:20 PM 

Root wasn't captain last summer so didn't have any sway with the ECB. Sadly this year Joe has used his influence to get Ballance back in the England team, although for England that'ss the correct thing to do.

The current round of fixtures couldn't start until Monday due to Satuday's 50 over cup final.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 2 2017, 3:41 PM 

I'd be reluctant to push for a change in the central contracts and disappointed to see any major changes. Its been the bedrock of much better performances in the international game.
A little bit of tweeking around the edges might be due but nothing more.
As to fixtures it's always more complicated than it seems. All the counties get an input into the list and have quite some time to look over it and look to make some changes.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 2 2017, 4:26 PM 

sootie-yorkie ---- "I'd be reluctant to push for a change in the central contracts and disappointed to see any major changes. Its been the bedrock of much better performances in the international game.

Are the performances any better now than before central contracts? They could be, and I am not disputing your claim, but have you any evidence to support that.

As for the fixtures ---- By now each year, they know the International matches for the following summer and all the venues and dates, who is touring for the Lions matches, the RLODC groups & the T20 groups, as they are the same very year. They could, if they so wish, do 90% of next years fixtures before the end of this season, including the the k/o & Final dates of the two white ball competitions, leaving just the CC matches to arrange after the end of the season. A couple of weeks later, the fixtures could be completed with no clashes with the white ball k/o matches and International matches. Quite easy really to avoid the clashes that have happened this year, if they got themselves organised better. If all 18 counties played in every round of CC matches, that would also help, in freeing up a lot more blank weeks. More blank weeks = more flexibility, less clashes and less chaos.

Why have we got a week of CC matches slap bang in the middle of the so called "blocked" t20 comp.

Why not start the T20 a week later and play the round of CC matches next week, or finish the T20 a week earlier and play the CC after the T20 has finished, and have a proper "block" of T20 cricket. Only the ECB know the answer to that one.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 2, 2017 4:51 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 2 2017, 5:51 PM 

Absolutely yes, England are a far better team since the central contacts were brought in. They aren't the only factor by a way but they are an important part of the far better performance they have achieved. Just look at the overall results since the late 90s, that doesn't mean it's been plain sailing. But it's been a far better team where we could beat anyone anywhere compared to 20 years ago.
With fixtures, I bet it's far more complicated than many imagine. Do i know what those factors are? No but it's a sport league with all of the factors at play and all the 'players' make it a complex beast.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 2 2017, 8:08 PM 

It's a management task to deal with the ECB. There's no way I'd want the players themselves involved in that.
For a man who's had so many commitments over recent seasons, not least being captain of England, Alistair Cook has been allowed to play a remarkably large number of CC games for Essex this year. It should be somebody's job at Yorkshire to have the precise details of that case - and all the others - on file. If, at some future date, the ECB wants to treat Joe Root in a manner different from the way Cook has been treated, or to treat Yorkshire differently from other counties, then we should be prepared to approach them coolly and professionally with all the facts to hand and suggest that they change their attitude.
We could also lobby for the right to sign additional overseas players when contributing a disproportionate number of players to the national side. Or some other form of compensation. These are all obvious administrative tasks that go with managing a major sports club. If anyone thinks that is extraordinary, I can assure them that lobbying for rule changes is something that happens in every cricket league in the country.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 2 2017, 9:37 PM 

You can't see the difference between Cook, who plays one form of cricket for England and Root who plays all three?
Each player is different, each will have different requirements in terms of rest etc, isn't that obvious to everyone?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 2 2017, 10:17 PM 

"You can't see the difference between Cook, who plays one form of cricket for England and Root who plays all three?"

That's not remotely what I said and hardly, in fact, bears any resemblance to it. Why not read what I actually wrote and comment on that?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk