<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Surrey at Leeds (Day Four)

June 29 2017, 3:03 PM 

Dont think I will bother now, was hoping for more cricket this week however will have to wait now till Sept for our last 8 days of proper cricket at Headingley which we will probably lose a couple of those in the early autumn weather. Cant believe this 2 games left at Headingley and we are not yet out of June sad.gif

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 29 2017, 3:20 PM 

Get yourself along next Friday evening!

(Login exiledanum)

June 29 2017, 3:31 PM 

Match absndoned

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 29 2017, 3:39 PM 

If recent September weather has anything to go by, the Headingley matches against Warwickshire and Middlesex will end up being played in glorious sunshine.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 29 2017, 3:42 PM 

Yes, the weather always seems to be better in September than in June.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 29 2017, 3:43 PM 

Another day four thread with no cricket...

At least the teams won't be jet lagged for their next game now

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 29 2017, 3:47 PM 

Since Root and Bairstow barely got a bat against Surrey, they might as well play in the Lions match and Ballance can come back in preparation for the Scarborough game.

(Login exiledanum)

June 29 2017, 4:05 PM 

Today at Leeds just shows how second rate YCCC can be sometimes

There have to be questions about how the run ups came to be so wet. It can only be a lack of care in joining the ground sheets to the proper wicket covers allowing the water off the drain channels to escape to the gap.

The final inspection at tea was all too brief but we all sat like lemons awaiting a long delayed announcement. Then an alert on my phone from BBC Sport that the match was drawn. A full two minutes before we were told on the PA.

Sometimes I think cricket watchers are too docile for their own good.

(Login exiledanum)

June 29 2017, 4:08 PM 

Oh and by the way....a 10-7 score line flatters us massively.

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

June 29 2017, 4:16 PM 

Yes, I was at the ground from 2.15 and no ground staff working on the affected areas though the players were happily playing football on the outfield. Seems to me there was a fairly early decision to abandon and the rest was window-dressing. Probably a sensible decision rather than have players, umpires, ground staff, security people and a handful of spectators hanging around till 9 pm when there is no prospect of a result. I've little doubt that a t20 match would have gone ahead. Hope we do not come to regret the missed opportunity to earn two or three batting bonus points.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 29 2017, 5:17 PM 

If the bowlers footholds were that bad, why was no work done to dry them out? I was there from 1.45 and not a single second of work was done to rectify the problem, no super sopper, no towels, nothing, zilch, apart from the umpires and groundsmen standing around in the damp area. Can someone enlighten me as to why no work was done?

If it was so bad, why was play not abandoned for the day at 12 noon and everyone informed.

Methinks Surrey did not want to play as they had little chance of getting any more points than they already had and just wanted to deny any chance we had. Maximum 3 for them, maximum 5 for us. Not worth the risk, stick with what we have, call it off.

Dave
(Login rognumber)

June 29 2017, 5:44 PM 

valid points Stu. As I asked above at 14:05 what's the point of investing in drainage if after it stops raining a few hours the ground is still unfit. Inquiry needed by management !

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 29 2017, 7:01 PM 

I don't really blame Surrey for wanting an early getaway - they have a Lord's final on Saturday.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 29 2017, 8:31 PM 

yorkshire ccc have again been totally pathetic today. aware that an awfull lot of water had fallen over the previous 24 hours, i delayed my departure until 2 o,clock. having seen a reassuring photo on the official yccc twitter feed of covers removed and encouraging text. i had rang the official prospects of play number to be told play was expected to start on time. so i drive 75 miles and waste an hour and a half of my life to find an early lunch was called and a 3.30 inspection had concluded the run ups were under water, and the match abandoned. it must have been obvious at 2 o,clock the ground would not be fit for play. we have anecdotal evidence from people on the ground that only token efforts were made to ready the ground for play. i noted on tuesday the sheets covering the run ups were tiny and inadequate. now wasting 150 miles of petrol and 3 hours time may not matter to yccc but i felt like throwing my membership card away. i think what probably happened was the players couldn,t be bothered playing for a few extra points with a difficult ball with a late finish and surrey wanted to get back and prepare for a final on saturday. on driving to leeds at 3.00 i rang the prospects of play again and the same message was on, play is expected to start on time...very unprofessional, but i probably should have had more sense. but how often do i get to see joe root and jonny bairstow bat for yorkshire

This message has been edited by marskeman on Jun 29, 2017 8:34 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 29 2017, 8:47 PM 

I haven't been today but the comments above especially those of Marsker are so familiar. I live in Doncaster, an 80 mile and 2 hour round trip, the info from the club when play is in doubt is always limited, usually inaccurate and never timely.

I've said before, earlier this season, our covers are inadequate. Gale said on Radio Leeds at 6:45pm that water got under the covers and on to the bowlers run ups with seemingly no efforts to dry this up. The only conclusion is they were poorly positioned or not fit for purpose.

Surrey obviously wanted to getaway, Yorks almost certainly couldn't be bothered, I assume the crowd was tiny, the ground authorities probably wanted to get prepared for tonight's Rhinos game and this outcome suited everyone.

Earlier this year I was at the rain effected South African A game efforts that day to get the game restarted were non existent, it appears today has been the same.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jun 29, 2017 9:28 PM

(Login BrickyardBoy)

June 29 2017, 9:24 PM 

Of course, there is always the possibility that there was no fault with the covers, but that, given the volume of water which had fallen over the last 48 hours, the water table was high enough to allow ground water to plane across the surface of the run-ups underneath the covers.

Perhaps, this point should be clarified before the ground-staff are made scapegoats.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 29 2017, 10:08 PM 

my main point it it was obvious before the start tine it was waterlogged, the radio said water was coming over the boots so a lot of wasted journeys could have been saved. and the sheets covering the run ups were ridiculously small,

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 29 2017, 10:40 PM 

I got there just after 2 and was hopeful with a few others but it was not to be.

A lot of water fell and it has to go somewhere. Durham who I presume had similar weather called their game off much earlier.

At least they tried, according to ropeman Ray, the ground staff had actually dug up a water logged area on the run ups and replaced the turf, but they couldn't satisfy the umpires.

Onwards and upwards.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 29 2017, 10:46 PM 

No-one is making the groundstaff scapegoats. They take their instructions from the umpires. No effort was made in any shape or form to get the ground fit to play, between 1.45 and 3.30. I got the impression that the decision to not play today had already been made 3 or 4 hours before the actual announcement. It suited both teams and the umpires not to play and those travelling should have been informed a lot earlier than they were.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 29, 2017 10:49 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 30 2017, 12:18 AM 

I am not surprised there was no play on Day 4 considering the amount of rain that has fallen from Tuesday to Thursday morning. Even when the rain stopped, the cloud base did not lift and there was a lack of quality drying weather. The communications department at Yorkshire CCC regarding prospects of play could be better, I had to source information from the twitter feeds of Surrey CCC and freelance journalist Graham Hardcastle to make an informed decision whether to venture to Headingley or not.

For the run-ups to dry sufficiently, cloud cover needed to lift significantly (ideally with some breaks) along with temperatures closer to the seasonal average than early/mid teens celsius. If the groundsmen tried to apply pressure onto the affected areas, then the run-ups would get increasingly muddy.

Earlier this evening I have enjoyed the privilege of playing in a 20 over friendly match over at Weetwood. I anticipated a Thursday lunchtime text for the match to be called off because it was too wet, but the groundsman gave the go-ahead much to my surprise as well as fellow players.

Even with several hours of no rain, conditions at Weetwood were barely passable with dampness sitting on top surface with footmarks visible at the crease and bowlers run-ups, along with a damp ball. That is the extent of how much rain has fallen in the past 48 hours when a first class venue was just about able to host a 20 over game when the groundsman could have easily said no.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk