<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Plunkett & KC...

June 29 2017 at 6:36 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

.....maybe in for Scarborough.

From the OS

"......Liam Plunkett will be available for the first time this season in four-day cricket at Scarborough, while Ryan Sidebottom returns after missing this game due to fatigue.
“Liam will be in the squad,” confirmed Gale.
“He hasn’t played any red ball cricket for a year for us.
“To put him straight into this game would have been a risk.
“Even though he’s been bowling, to have a day on your feet is something different. Hopefully he’ll get that with the Lions in Worcester.”
New signing Tom Kohler-Cadmore could also debut given Joe Root leaves for England Test duty.
“It will between Tom and Jack Leaning for Joe Root’s place,” said Gale. “We’ll also have to see what happens with Gary Ballance...."

I assumed, with Liam being selected for the Lions this week, that he would be in the England squad for next weeks test as cover for injury doubts over Stokes & Broad, plus Woakes & Ball already ruled out.

Maybe AG has been given the nod by Team England that Liam is not needed by them next week!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Plunkett &amp; KC...

June 29 2017, 6:52 PM 

If he is available, I'd bring him in for Brooks. We don't want him injured for the T20 though.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: Plunkett & KC...

June 29 2017, 7:15 PM 

Well let's give Gale some credit for communicating although the reasons for not playing either Sidebottom or Plunkett in the game were rather weak. If Sidebottom was fit then he should have played and Plunkett should not need any warm up for 4 day cricket.
Let us hope that we not only get full 4 day match at Scarborough but put in much better all round performance than last 2 games.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

June 29 2017, 7:18 PM 

I don't think the excuse was weak for RS, he was fatigued more than likely feeling his age at this level. We knew his workload would have to be managed.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 29 2017, 8:28 PM 

However serious (or otherwise) Sidebottom's niggle was, it seems sensible in retrospect to have rested him during the Surrey game. There were only ever going to be wet and cool conditions on the last two days, even if we had thought more play would be possible.
I'd like to see Plunkett back. He's bowled some good spells in the shorter stuff and Brooks reacted well the last time he was omitted. I definitely think we should try giving Coad the new ball again - which Plunkett won't mind, as he's never that keen on it.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

June 29 2017, 8:51 PM 

Siddy's removal from the team for the last game made perfect sense to me.
The game was never going anywhere with the weather that was forecast, also the pink ball is similar to the white one and when was the last time that he used one of them?
I am so looking forward to seeing him in his last season, he seems to have his gander up!
I may be able to make the game at Scarborough next week as I am holiday but am definitely going to the one in August as I am camping in Seamer that weekend (after seeing my "Birthday Present" which is accompanying my wife to an 80's & 90's night at the open air theatre the night before).

Edit also want to see Liam bowl: he seems to scare some batsmen.

This message has been edited by Haxbyite on Jun 29, 2017 8:53 PM

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 29 2017, 9:07 PM 

I assume the 2s game at Stamford Bridge has been washed out? (Nothing on the OS) so no clues there.

I'd go with:

Lyth,Lees,Hanscombe, Ballance (if available), Leaning, Ras, Bres, Hodd, Plunket, Coad, Sid

Brook for Ballance if England come calling. You cant jettison Brook after one game although I'd have no issue with TKC coming in or even getting the nod ahead of Leaning.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 29 2017, 11:04 PM 

Plunkett has been bowling with real pace in the short stuff and enjoys the pacier Scarborough wickets so am sure will play

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 30 2017, 8:22 AM 

Agree Martin. He has the X factor to take wickets and be different to the line and length of the others who are not as fast. Plus he must be raring to go having had such little cricket recently.

Perhaps the ecb might allow Root and bairstow to play next week as they had no time in the middle this week?!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 30 2017, 9:09 AM 

I too would go for Plunkett. Scarborough suits him. Sadly - because I always think you should pick your best bowlers without regard to additional bits and bobs - I would be further influenced by the quality of his batting and fielding as against others' levels. We need all the help we can get in those areas at present.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

sidebottom

June 30 2017, 4:52 PM 

Time to forget all about Sidebottom he is not fit to play a four day game time to move on and sign someone else for next season with the money they were paying him .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 30 2017, 5:03 PM 

Siddy is inevitably not quite what he was, but he put in match winning spells against Lancashire and Somerset. I won't forget about him just yet if that's ok. And I reckon most county openers would still put him amongst their most challenging opponents.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 30 2017, 5:33 PM 

After Coad he's been our best seamer. He just needs careful handling. Last season I think JG said that he wouldn't play in every game. Same approach this season.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 30 2017, 5:38 PM 

Assuming Ballance is selected for England and Plunkett and Rashid are not, it looks like a team of

Lyth, Lees, Brook, Hanscomb, KC or Leaning, Bresnan, Rashid, Hodd, Plunkett, Coad, Siddy.

A lot stronger middle & lower-order batting with Plunkett at 9, and Liam`s inclusion will improve both the bowling & fielding.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 30 2017, 6:14 PM 

Plus we signed Willey to replace him already

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 30 2017, 6:22 PM 

He was and wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot more of him in the future given his recent England performances

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk