<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cricket back on the BBC

June 30 2017 at 10:52 AM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

I know people will carp about the details - but this is essentially a very good day for cricket in this Country.
Lets hope we can re-establish cricket as one of the nation's National pastimes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Cricket back on the BBC

June 30 2017, 11:07 AM 

The BBC coverage is in addition to (not instead of) SKY Sports who will still be showing the matches in ALL competitions as now, including the new T20 comp that starts in 2020.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 30 2017, 11:13 AM 

For the benefit of those of you too young to remember....

https://youtu.be/67xXbTaQlKI

And then over to the balding head of the frightfully posh Peter West before he handed over to Jim Laker and Richie Benaud.

Unless it was the JPL Sunday league when we got Peter Walker formerly of Glamorgan in the days when they showed a full 40 over game before One Man and his dog.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

June 30 2017, 11:35 AM 

Providing BBC can provide quality uninterrupted coverage of matches on one of its free main channels then it must to good for the game. There are dangers in Sky having a monopoly of any sport although, in my opinion, they are very good with most of them. Living in Scotland but being a dedicated Yorkshire supporter all of my life, I enjoy being able the watch first class cricket on TV.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

cricket

June 30 2017, 11:38 AM 

Is it school boy cricket ladies cricket French cricket ?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 30 2017, 12:00 PM 

The full deal is worth 1.1 billion. Lets hope the ECB use the money wisely to develop the game.

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/425049

My reading of it is that everything will still be on Sky, but some matches will also be duplicated live on BBC.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 30 2017, 2:42 PM 

All t20s I see so only a three hour window needed. Disappointingly that meAns we are unlikely to see games not on our screens for the urgent need to go to the news, Neighbours or the shipping forecast.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

June 30 2017, 3:46 PM 

Can I admit to finding the JPL 40 over games a little bit boring in my youth? I have seen too many games over before 30 overs are bowled in the first innings, the longer version (50 or even 60) seems to give the side batting first a chance to rebuild.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 30 2017, 6:55 PM 

Oh how I pine for the days of the BBC when Harry Carpenter would inform us: "Australia 34 for 6 at Lord's, so not much happening there. Meanwhile, on centre court, Miss XYZPPQ and Miss GRZYHB are locked at 1-1 in the first set, and we go over to Wimbledon now to join this wonderful match. If anything happens in the cricket we'll keep you informed and, in any case, we'll go back to Peter West for his close of play report.

They were pathetic!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk