<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RLODC Final

June 30 2017 at 5:12 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

A preview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40416511

Hopefully a win for Notts (at least they are a Northern side).

After stuffing them in the first match in our Group, I got chatting to the Notts supporters, who are always a friendly lot. They were worried that they would not even qualify for the k/o stages. I was convinced they would and they have gone two steps further and got to the Final. Just hope they win it now.

What a difference our white ball side is with and without the England 5. It`s like chalk and cheese. We stuff the finalists with the 5 in, and get stuffed by the other finalists without them!! If only!!!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 30, 2017 5:39 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: RLODC Final

June 30 2017, 7:43 PM 

Living in Notts & a regular visitor to Trent Bridge I'd like to see a Notts victory but alas I think the form some of the Surrey players are in they'll take some beating.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 30 2017, 7:57 PM 

It should be a good game and I really don't care who wins.

Notts have lost Jake Ball and probably Broad, although Pattinson seems to have woken up.

Surrey seem ideally set up for the 50 over game and will take some beating.

One exceptional display from someone on either side could swing it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 1 2017, 2:23 PM 

GB's record score in a 1 Day final of 146 in danger.

Someone please get Stoneman out!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 1 2017, 2:33 PM 

Geoffrey still the record holder.

C'mon Notts.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 1, 2017 2:34 PM

(Login WhiteShamrock)

July 1 2017, 2:44 PM 

Some very sloppy fielding from Notts during the Surrey innings. Hopefully it won't cost them a win.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 1 2017, 5:31 PM 

At least it is not a Surrey player that has broken Boycotts record.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 1 2017, 6:42 PM 

Sensational knock Hales.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

July 1 2017, 6:58 PM 

Well, sir Geoff's record survived the 1st innings but what a knock from Hales to beat it in the second innings. Congratulations to Notts, a really comprehensive victory.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 1 2017, 7:04 PM 

What a knock by Hales. Surrey lose in the Final for the 3rd year in a row. Fantastic result!!

We stuffed the winners by 7 wkts with 20 overs spare in our first match. If only we had had some better scheduling and our England 5 had been available for the quarters & semis, and it would have been us lifting the trophy!!

Unless that situation changes, we will not win this trophy in my lifetime. Difficult to win anything when you have your best 5 white-ball players missing for just about every match.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 1, 2017 7:06 PM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 1 2017, 7:33 PM 

I suspect the poor attendance reflects the rather dismissive way the governing body treated this competition.

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 2 2017, 11:10 PM 

The tournament got the final it probably didn't deserve: absolutely superb knock from Hales, and nice to see Chris Read contribute to a trophy win in his final season as a player. In spite of what his many detractors on here may say, Hales is surely up there with England's best ever one-day batsmen now, particularly considering his record in big matches, whilst as much of a scourge of Yorkshire as Read has been, he's also been a mighty fine servant to Notts and I wish him well.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Jul 2, 2017 11:12 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 4 2017, 7:54 AM 

In other seasons I suspect the England selectors may have had influence on player availability for a game like this with a test less than a week away and a lions match on the go.

There is a case for the lions to have included Stoneman and even Hales who opened in tests last year. Hameed patently out of form and Jennings certain to be in the test squad anyway.

Then Patel's form could not be overlooked and is surely a better batsman and left arm spinner than Dawson. With Broad injury prone and a test a week away then in the past he would have been wrapped in cotton wool. And the Currans may have been in the Lions too if not in the RL final.

So favouritism for Surrey and Notts to allow them all their players for a one day game when the England priority is the longer version. Instead players playing four day cricket under lights with a pink ball experiment go and play for the lions instead of their counties.

If Yorkshire had made the final I do wonder if the same selection policy had been applied!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 4 2017, 8:21 AM 

I think England have for quite a long time gone for as settled a test team as possible and were always unlikely to make more changes than they had to.

Hales and Patel have had their chances at test level and are unlikely to be considered again.

Toblerone and Plunkett are ahead of the Currans when it comes to a possible test call-up.

Broad is the more interesting case.

It may have been suggested by some of the England staff that he didn't play as a precaution and, if it was suggested, he is strong minded enough and cares enough to have ignored such calls.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 4 2017, 8:38 AM 

But surely the Currans are ahead of Garton?!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Garton

July 4 2017, 8:46 AM 

Have to agree with you on that one.

Did read somewhere he is the next big thing, like Hameed only a bowler.

So every chance he is being built up for a fall.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 4 2017, 8:54 AM 

George Dobell was covering the Lions and reckons Garton is a seriously good prospect. Dobell is generally a good judge but Sussex surely need to pick him more often.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 4 2017, 8:57 AM 

I think if I was looking at a young Sussex seamer then Archer is the man although not sure if eligible for England?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk