<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Gary Ballance....

July 1 2017, 10:46 AM 

Looking at it through England only perspective, I'm not sure how Dawson has overtaken Adil as the second spinner in the test team.

Only last year I think he had to go out on loan to get four day cricket as Hants were not picking him.

But every cloud has a silver lining and England's loss is Yorkshires gain.

Well done Garry too. Proof you can get a call up based on volume of runs. The selectors may moan he has not altered his technique to cope at the highest level but when he did he could hardly get a run for us last season so he is better backing himself as to what works and ultimately gets runs.

So a 3,4,5 from the same county. When did that last happen? Presume Surrey when they had Thorpe, Stewart and others?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 1 2017, 11:31 AM 

I've very rarely made any predictions on this forum, but I did write this in 2012. I still have it because it came from a diary I was keeping. The version on the forum may have been a little shorter, but this is the original:

"At about 10 past six this evening, in drizzle and near darkness, I retrieved the Worcestershire v Middlesex match ball from New Road's Garden of Remembrance (latest occupant: the ashes of Martin Horton) and tossed it back to Alexei Kervezee, after Neil Dexter had hit the six that virtually guaranteed Middlesex victory. A victory slightly delayed by umpire Peter Willey who stopped a fearsome straight drive from Crook with what appeared to be his right arm. The next minute, and before the final no-ball that clinched it for Midds., a man standing by a camper van at the entrance to the Cathedral-side car park shouted out that Yorkshire had beaten Gloucestershire at Scarborough (none of that "what's it got to do with you?" mentality round here). As I started the car, someone on Test Match Special was reading out the bowling averages of Andrew Gale and Adam Lyth.
A strange, but oddly satisfying day's cricket. The "rindless bacon bap" from the tea bar under the Basil D'Oliveira Stand didn't disappoint. And doesn't Toby Roland-Jones look like Angus Fraser - when he's bowling, in the field, even when he's trudging back to his mark? An absolute clone. He'll play for England..."

Sadly, in 2017 the bacon baps are now provided by a different catering franchise and aren't what they were.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 1 2017, 11:41 AM 

Maybe they were uncomfortable about depriving Yorkshire of too many players (ha ha) and have give us Rashid for Ballance"
Who will captain our team for Somerset match - Lees, Bresnan and Lyth are all off form and not certain to play so maybe Siddy?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 1 2017, 11:42 AM 

Bresnan is vice captain so he'll be skipper.

(Login dpressed)

July 1 2017, 11:54 AM 

If the England management had a brain Ballance would have been left at Yorkshire last summer (when he was obviously struggling for form). By September he'd have been scoring runs & would have been part of England's team all over the winter.

Thankfully for Yorkshire we've had a revitalised Gary for the first 3 months of the season. I wish him well as without his runs we'd be in dire straits.

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 1 2017, 12:04 PM 

Ballance definitely deserves the call-up, but to bat at 3? I'm not sure about that...

Roland-Jones has been impressive for a number of years and is a logical like-for-like replacement for Woakes. The selection of Dawson, on the other hand, in my opinion is in the worst tradition of bits-and-pieces players: a mediocre batsman (8 centuries in over 200 FC innings) and bowler of unthreatening left-arm darts- not impressed. I rather suspect Rashid bowled himself out of contention this week.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 1 2017, 12:57 PM 

If Ballance is going to bat at 3, should really have batted there today!

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 1 2017, 1:05 PM 

Bayliss says he prefers Root at 3 so common sense may prevail. Stokes at 5, Bairstow at 6 and Moeen at 7 looks pretty powerful.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 1 2017, 7:53 PM 

I was at Worcester today. Gary started very scratchily, but hung in there and played a few nice strokes for his 56. Not sure it proved anything one way or another though.

On a very flat track, Keaton Jennings got beaten for pace and had his stumps flattened by Morkel. That might matter more.

The match was rain-affected, but you sense that even if there had been three full days it would still have been a waste of time from the England point of view.

New Road in the sun is never a waste of time for spectators !

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Jul 1, 2017 7:54 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk