<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gary Ballance....

June 30 2017 at 9:57 PM
Guest  (Login EastYorkshireTyke)

...back in the England squad and to bat at number 3 again!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Gary Ballance....

June 30 2017, 10:28 PM 

Root's recommendation. Unless Joe bats himself at 3, i don't see where else Ballance could bat.

Dawson an odd selection.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

June 30 2017, 10:30 PM 

I'm of course very pleased for Gary Ballance - he deserves it. You can't argue with a season batting average of 101.88.

And I'm obviously somewhat disappointed for Yorkshire, given that depending on how many Championship matches he misses, Yorkshire's slim title chances just got a lot slimmer. And although our cheerleading section might not want to hear it, the loss of Ballance, and considering Yorkshire's current form, the loss does at least raise the spectre of demotion.

Hopefully some of our out-of-form top order will step up. This would be the time.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 30 2017, 10:36 PM 

Is this official!

Thought the squad announcement was at 0900 tomorrow.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 30 2017, 10:39 PM 

trevor bayliss says roots opinion on selection will be listened to, and root is shouting loud for ballance to be included.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

June 30 2017, 10:41 PM 

A well deserved selection (I'm assuming it is the case, not actually seen it anywhere?). However if they pick him to bat 3 then it's absolutely bonkers. He forced his way into the England team initially as a number 5 (I think?) through weight of runs. Was made to bat at 3 which completely changed his game for the worse. Now he's forced his way back in scoring most of his runs at 4 and looking fantastic, a move back to 3 would be stupid, even by the ECB's own standards.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 30 2017, 10:46 PM 

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

June 30 2017, 10:54 PM 

It is deserved based on form but his technical issue was facing pace. We have no idea if he has conquered that as he hasn't faced it in the CC.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 30 2017, 10:58 PM 

Guesswork by the Sun. The squad is not announced until tomorrow.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 30 2017, 11:02 PM 

Batsman averaging 100+ called up by England. Seems pretty logical to me. If the Dawson bit is true then Rashid should be annoyed. But as Stu says, the squad isn't announced until tomorrow so the Sun are either guessing or somebody has leaked.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

June 30 2017, 11:51 PM 

Does Rashid deserve a call up? I don't get it. I personally think Bess, Leach or even Crane are worth more of a run than Rashid.
That said do we need to call up 2 spinners to the squad for this wicket.

Find it quite uninspiring if true.

Personally, I would have moved Bairstow up to 5. He is too good a batsman to leave at 7. Call Foakes up to keep/bat at 7.
Jennings bats 3 and I personally would have stuck with Hameed opening, but respect the arguements against and would have had no issue with Stoneman.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 1 2017, 5:40 AM 

Just for the record, Adil is currently rated 13th in the WORLD in ODIs. Only Woakes (9th) and Plunkett (11th) are ahead of him amongst England players. [Official ICC player rankings.]

He is down at 52nd in the Test rankings, however.

I think we should brace ourselves to being without as many as 5 players at Scarborough. We know Root and Bairstow won't be there, and England may or may not go down the Ballance route - I think they will. But Rashid is likely(?) to feature in the 13, though not play at Lord's, and likewise Plunkett, as stand-by for all the injured bowlers.

Mason Crane has just been smashed all round the park by the South Africans; Dom Bess is a huge talent and, if you've not seen him, look forward to the chance at Scarborough, but they will not pick him for Lord's. The selectors have already screwed up over Leach once. To pick him now, when he's not bowling as well as in 2016, would be an admission of error.

http://www.relianceiccrankings.com/

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 1 2017, 8:34 AM 

I'm pleased for Gary and now the "technical issue" question will be resolved one way or the other. I always felt that it had more to do with form than technique but we will see.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

July 1 2017, 9:03 AM 

When Root and Ballance have batted together for Yorkshire this season, Root was 3 and Ballance was 4.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 1 2017, 9:06 AM 

Ballance confirmed in the squad, as is Dawson. Roland-Jones in for Woakes which is fair enough.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 1 2017, 9:12 AM 

If Ballance is to be exposed by the Saf quicker bowlers it'll happen whether he's at 3 or 4. Personally i would have Root at 3 but if he wants to bat 4 then he will.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 1 2017, 9:33 AM 

Root has always had most success batting at 4 for England so that's fair enough. Still think Ballance is a square peg in a round hole but if they want to pick him it's probably the only place available, with Bairstow and Stokes at 5 and 6.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 1 2017, 9:40 AM 

I'm relieved they've gone down the Dawson/Roland-Jones route rather than the Rashid/Plunkett one; I can't see either playing, unless there are fitness worries.

To me it's obvious: 3 Root, 4 Ballance....but if Joe wants to bat at 4, he'll bat at 4, which means 3 left-handers at the top, unless they go for 3 Dawson. They won't do that, will they?

Left-handers: Cook, Jennings, Ballance, Stokes, Ali, Broad, Anderson - potentially 7/11. Strange days.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 1 2017, 9:48 AM 

Dave --- One of TRJ or Dawson will play as there are only 12 men in the squad. My moneys on 5 seamers and Moeen as the 1 spinner.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 1, 2017 10:03 AM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 1 2017, 9:50 AM 

I think Dawson will miss out, with four seamers plus Stokes and Moeen playing. Roland-Jones on his home ground is a good pick in my opinion.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk