<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

T20 squad/team

July 1 2017 at 7:36 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Looks like Ballance out for all our t20 matches, but Rash & Plunkett available.

Our first match is next Friday

Team?

KC, Willey, Lyth, Hanscomb, Marsh, Leaning, Plunkett, Bresnan, Rashid, Rafiq, Fisher.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: T20 squad/team

July 1 2017, 7:51 PM 

TKC
Willey
Lyth
Marsh
Handscomb WK
Leaning
Bresnan
Plunkett
Rashid
Rafiq
Fisher/Waite

(Login ElTwis)

July 1 2017, 10:54 PM 

I think Fisher for the 11th spot, he showed real promise in the format before his injury problems. I'd be tempted to keep Willey and Lyth opening with TKC in first drop perhaps?

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Surely it's Marsh

July 1 2017, 11:27 PM 

Surely Shaun Marsh bats at three in Yorkshire's t20 campaign? His record in this format suggests he should. Your best batsman should be in your top 4 batting order. Stoneman and Hales showed that in todays RL one day Cup Final. From the players available, my team would be Lyth, Willey, Marsh, Kohler-Cadmore, Handscomb (wk), Leaning, Bresnan (c), Waite, Plunkett, Rashid and Rafiq.
A Buchan

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 2 2017, 8:06 AM 

Marsh, Lyth and Kohler-Cadmore will be in the top three. Forget about Willey, he should come in after Bresnan and Plunkett.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 2 2017, 9:28 AM 

I would certainly consider playing David Willey as an opener/pinch hitter in T20.

He certainly doesn't fill me with confidence when facing International class bowling but he won't be and he could put us well on the way to winning a couple of games when he comes off.

If he bats at 7 or 8 it's debatable if he has the skill to get us over the line.

(Login ElTwis)

July 2 2017, 10:25 AM 

It would be a waste if willey didn't get a bat or ended up in after 19 overs, I think keep him opening and give him free reign. Worst case scenario he's out 1st Ball and we end up with 2 genuine batsmen acting as an opening pair. The tactic was effective in the ipl with Narine when he regularly gave KKR a massive platform to build on

This message has been edited by ElTwis on Jul 2, 2017 10:27 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 2 2017, 11:12 AM 

Agreed. He's unlikely to waste deliveries at the top of the order. The risk is minimal.

I feel down the order he tries to over hit the ball, ends up swinging away and losing his shape. No such issue during the powerplay.

Either way it looks an excellent side on paper!

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 2 2017, 11:25 AM 

I know Bresnan is the official vice captain but Rafiq has captained very well in "white ball" cricket in the past and I would personally like to see him given the responsibility again.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 2 2017, 12:07 PM 

I think we'll end up with whoever the ecb leaves us to select. I'm actually a fan of Hodd in t20 but agree Willey has to open the batting. Fisher too must be due a run whilst Waite and TKC should get a few outings.

No place for Coad, Patti, Sid or Brooks

Agree Rafiq as skipper may be interesting but with Rash also available it seems then will we pick two spinners? If we do Hodd is even more vital

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 2 2017, 12:18 PM 

Hodd a number 11 in t20.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 2 2017, 12:41 PM 

The OPs starting XI is Yorkshire's strongest line up since 2012, possibly in the history of T20. Plenty of firepower and bowling options.

Unlike in previous years, Yorkshire will not have to worry about losing players to England because the white ball bowlers won't be on international duty until mid-september. Gone are the days where a makeshift number 3 in Hodgson or Rashid is fielded to balance the line up.

Playing two spinners of Rashid and Rafiq has been one of Yorkshire's key successes in the shortest format, particularly that the latter has a knack of picking up middle over wickets against well set batsmen. Not sure how Hodd can fit in the T20 team without devaluing batting strength or bowling options.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 2 2017, 2:15 PM 

Because playing two spinners without a proper keeper devalues the team too

(Login ElTwis)

July 2 2017, 2:37 PM 

I think it's unfair to suggest Handscomb isn't decent, his keeping skills probably aren't up to Hodds but he has more experience in t20 at a higher level and the improvement in batting far outweighs anything lacked in keeping.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 2 2017, 5:34 PM 

I like Stu's original team.

Whenever I've watched them in white ball cricket Rafiq and Rashid together just seem to get wickets.

With Handscombe available I can't see any way Hodd could get anywhere near the side.

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 2 2017, 11:05 PM 

I also agree with Stu's team. As others have said, I think Marsh should bat 3 as probably the best and certainly most experienced T20 batsman; my top 4 would probably be Willey, Lyth, Marsh, Kohler-Cadmore. Our side looks much stronger this year with the three England lads available along with two overseas players and the addition of Kohler-Cadmore; in previous years we always seem to have been relying on batsmen unsuited to the format like Hodd or Lees at the top of the order, inexperienced death bowlers etc etc, but this year we seem to have most bases covered. And of course we'll play two spinners, as does practically every side in white ball cricket these days.

(Login ElTwis)

July 4 2017, 11:24 AM 

Looks like Willey opened the batting last night against a Bradford league xi, Marsh in at 3 who scored 91 and Brook 57 in a 70 odd run win

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 4 2017, 11:25 AM 

Rhodes not Brook.

Willey 4-19 in their inns too.

(Login ElTwis)

July 4 2017, 12:12 PM 

Sorry, Rhodes yes. Fisher batted at 7 so I wonder if that's an indication he plays on Friday ahead of Waite?

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 5 2017, 5:50 PM 

Thought Stu's team at the top of the page was too good to be true. Plunkett's injury weakens us significantly.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk