<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day One)

July 3 2017, 5:26 PM 

Oh for a big opening partnership, to take the pressure off what is an experimental batting lineup. That last wicket partnership was was a potential killer, although with our best at the death bowler sidelined and Rashid bleeding runs, it was probably inevitable. 50-0 at the close would be terrific.
""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 3, 2017 5:29 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 3 2017, 5:31 PM 

Another failed opening partnership. Time for a change in combination.

(Login Tyke83)

July 3 2017, 5:40 PM 

Our two openers look desperate at the moment.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 3 2017, 5:42 PM 

very good attendance on a Monday just over 4,000

no ballance to get us out of the mire this time - could this be the game which sends us towards the second division

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 3 2017, 5:45 PM 

They are both completely shot of confidence. It is unbelievable how this has happened when they have looked so good previously.
Unless they get big runs in our second knock, I think there will have to be changes maybe with Brook, K-C and or Tattersall. I think Jack Leaning should have played today, probably instead of Lees as he has done pretty well at Scarborough in previous seasons

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

WANTED: A reliable opening batsmen.

July 3 2017, 5:49 PM 

Our openers have barely averaged 21 runs per innings this season - the lowest average in the first division and the worst Yorkshire 1st wicket performance I've recorded in my 20 years of record-keeping. in 14 opening partnerships this season the Tykes have all of ONE 50+ partnership in the CC.

Recruiting or developing a reliable opener should be Yorkshire's #1 priority in the off season.

""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 3, 2017 5:51 PM

Glosexile
(Login Glosexile)

Openers

July 3 2017, 5:53 PM 

Why do they keep getting selected ? They are so obviously out of form it just shoves more pressure on the other batters.
Where is the competition for places ?!!

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 3 2017, 5:54 PM 

K.O.L.P.A.K

Need help short-term. Was obvious before 2017, but ECB taking Ballance has put the tin lid on it. Short-term would be for rest of 2017 ideally, but more realistically 2018 I guess.

(Login Sideass)

July 3 2017, 5:55 PM 

Time for Lees and Lyth to be dropped. I must confess to having no knowledge of who opens for the seconds but whoever they are cannot do worse. Even a pair of king pairs wouldn't mean we were losing many runs!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 3 2017, 5:55 PM 

Surely not as bad as the season when our last wicket average was more than the he opening average stand in the days of Joe Sayers?

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 3 2017, 5:56 PM 

Alex, is it me or are the number of members of this forum rising really rapidly? Loads of user names i don't recognize of late. How many members are there now?

Yes, we've added nearly one-hundred new members since the end of last season. We've done some promoting on social media, especially Facebook. We've also had record traffic (page views) in five of the first months of 2017. - Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 3, 2017 6:20 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 3 2017, 6:01 PM 

Handscomb flattered to deceive in the Championship too. A completely meaningless ton in that Lancs game boosting his stats.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 3 2017, 6:08 PM 

I cannot help but feel that one day games are one of main reasons why we cannot develop decent openers who understand how to play against a new ball. Lyth is out caught far too many times and Lees' poor footwork leaves him vulnerable to lbw or bowled. They should both be given spells in second eleven and Lees needs to get himself fitter and more mobile for batting and fielding.
Now Handscombe has gone - will we avoid the follow on 🙁
Well at least we will have two openers starting tomorrow, unless play is washed out.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Jul 3, 2017 6:19 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 3 2017, 6:14 PM 

What a shocker after a decent start to the day. They must be embarrassed and ashamed.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 3 2017, 6:17 PM 

I am afraid our batting is division 2

we should have finished off the job bowling earlier

worrying times

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 3 2017, 6:18 PM 

Youngsters have steadied the ship a little - well done guys, first target achieved.

Not much play tomorrow, but what there is might suit the bowlers. We will see. But we still have some batting to come, so all to play for still.

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 3 2017, 6:19 PM 

Why are we surprised? Many of us have been banging on about this for sometime...going back to last season. If we lose this with Surrey and the Sex's still to come we could be in trouble. I am not there so question is did we not bowl well enough or is this just rank poor batting?

TheDoc58
(Login TheDoc58)

July 3 2017, 6:22 PM 

I would agree to some extent about Handscomb, but the inept performances of the openers this season haven't helped him. He was recruited as a middle order batsman but he is constantly having to come in during the first ten overs when the ball is still new, which is obviously a bit different from coming in with the score at 200-2.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 3 2017, 6:22 PM 

Problems started in middle of 2015.

risep
(Login risep)

Somerset day 1

July 3 2017, 6:38 PM 

Does anyone else think that the start of any decline can be traced back to letting Mags go to Essex as assistant to Chris Silverwood? While his role at Yorkshire under JG was never clearly defined in public it seemed to be of the pastoral care type. A kind of avuncular figure who could sympathise and suggest a different approach if things were not going well. Do we have anyone else who does that now?
He seems to be doing something right at Essex.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk