<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Waters Not Impressed with Pink (not Floyd)

July 3 2017 at 4:22 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

"Unfortunately, as one is being given increasing reason to point out, some of us will not stand idly by while the totalitarian regime toys with the Championship, apparently on a whim." - Chris Waters

Chris Waters

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: Waters Not Impressed with Pink (not Floyd)

July 3 2017, 9:08 AM 

Sounds like it's the final cut.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 3 2017, 9:58 AM 

Troubled Waters.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 3 2017, 10:16 AM 

It's reassuring to know that others in responsible positions are also reduced to ranting now and again where the ECB are concerned.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 3 2017, 12:22 PM 

He's a journalist.
No one with any sort of responsibility at all.

Well, I'm a part-time freelance journalist (255 articles published), and meeting deadlines , which are very onerous in the Internet-driven 24-hour news cycle, the Net's profound effect on the demand for journalists (many newsrooms have been completely wiped out), and the agony of delete and not being able to pitch articles at a reasonable price are also significant stressors.

My local newspaper, which locked out its entire newsroom staff more than a year ago in a labour dispute, has cut my fee by 20% and back to the same level I was paid 15 years ago. I’m sure cricket journalists have suffered a similar fate given the cutbacks in cricket coverage and cricket's decline in popularity over the past several years.

For example, last month I submitted an op-ed to a major Canadian newspaper I've had great success with over the years but which came back with the message that they no longer PAY for op-eds, and will only publish articles of 500 words or less. (Attention-span issues?)

I would not think Mr. Waters is enjoying his chosen profession as much as he once did. It is a challenging gig.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 3, 2017 5:30 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 3 2017, 3:30 PM 

Fair points Alex - i think print journalists in particular must be facing a lot of challenges...

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 3 2017, 10:12 PM 

Yes, I can speak with authority on this having just escaped the profession after more than 30 years. The YP is one of very few papers to retain a cricket correspondent, for which it should be commended, and has not suffered as badly as many other outlets in the slash and burn that we have seen in the industry over the past 20 years, but there have been umpteen rounds of redundancies and those left have to do the same amount of work, or more, plus internet duty. Salaries have been pretty well stagnant for decades and management are inviting readers to fill space with their own writing and pictures. It's dangerous and misguided. Local stories are being missed and the potential for mistakes is huge. Breakdowns among staff are not uncommon and one of the reasons I left was that I feared some of the staff for whom I was responsible might even resort to suicide. It's that bad, but staff are too cowed by their remote top management (in Edinburgh in this case) to speak out.
Most of the local press is simply treading water waiting for someone to invent a reliable way of making money out of the internet, after which they will gleefully dump their print responsibilities and sack all the staff.
It's a stark contrast with the multi edition YEP on which I started work all those years ago which actually had that day's news in it rather than readers' blurry pictures of their cats and was run by a much-missed recently deceased editor who knew exactly what he was doing.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk