<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
pauld
(Login pdowgill)

Re: Our openers

July 4 2017, 7:41 PM 

A couple of years ago Boycs rated Lees as a better prospect than Lyth and he has age on his side. I wonder is Boycs has been asked to provide some support or am I in cloud cuckoo land? Lees did score that double hundred in the Bradford league so sometime after this game getting some practice out of our scrutiny may help happy.gif

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 4 2017, 9:10 PM 

Jayawardena been married to a Dane is absolutely nothing to do with The Kolpak ruling!

Former Country Member
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Our Openers

July 4 2017, 9:42 PM 

Are you sure? It makes him the spouse of national of an EU country. He may even have Danish (dual) nationality himself.

July 4 2017, 9:56 PM 

Yes and been married to a citizen of another EU country has nothing to do with Kolpak!

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 4 2017, 9:56 PM 

Kolpak ruling is nothing to do with who is married to who. Its about trade deals with associated countries and their right to work. He might have the right to work here through his wifes passport but i don't see how that is related to the kolpak ruling.

Former Country Member
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Our Openers

July 4 2017, 10:09 PM 

To assist in judging what the Kolpak ruling is and is not to do with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 4 2017, 10:29 PM 

Perhaps a simpler way to define whether a player is classed as "overseas" or not, is to check if they are qualified for England or not.

NQ -- non qualified. Several counties have up to 6 of these.

1 NQ per county should be allowed and that would force counties to develop and play their own players.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 5 2017, 8:09 AM 

Yes I'm with Stu here.

It doesn't matter what you call them in terms of why they are allowed to play for a county and not be the legitimate registered overseas player, they are still blocking the place of someone who is qualified to play for England. Some counties have six or so such players who along with one overseas mean few spots for homegrown English qualified players.

Glamorgan, Hampshire, Lancashire and no doubt others seem to lead the way. Partly due to several decent Saffers feeling a county career with its rewards is better than fighting a quota system that works against them back home. Ironically, if we had a quota system over here where counties had to play 7 or 8 England qualified players then the gravy train for kolpaks, EU citizens, spouses of EU citizens and British born people and others who find loopholes in the law, might just slow down and allow the younger English players to have a game.

The idea that counties get rewarded for playing young English players is admirable and clearly we must be making huge sums here for playing Coad Lees Brook Fisher Waite etc as opposed to Chanderpaul Vilas McLaren Jarvis or Roussow Ervine Abbott and Edwards.

It used to be Northants who also followed this route but I see their current team is an all English qualified XI so fair play to them for moving forward.

Middlesex are an interesting one here. Their current team has 8 (yes eight) players born outside of England but the whole XI appear to be eligible to play for England and several like Robson, Compton Malan have already done so. Bizarrely one of the three born in England plays for Ireland but then the English qualifiers include players born in Wales Ireland Germany Australia South Africa Zimbabwe - there must a few jobs going for interpreters in their dressing room!

July 5 2017, 3:44 PM 

Interesting ideas from Stu and ThirdUmpire, am not sure where that would have left the likes of Azeem Rafiq when he first arrived with us or the 16 year old Afghan refugee who's just made his Derbys debut though.
Also, picking out Dawid Malan, who was born in Roehampton, as some form of "overseas" player is somewhat strange.
I do note with interest though that from 2019 Irish cricketers will now be classed as overseas, could be a few with a decision to make in two years time.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Jul 5, 2017 4:29 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 5:15 PM 

If Brook is an opener, that's perfect.Play him at the top and drop Lyth down the order, where he started and always, to me, looked more comfortable. He's never been an opener by nature in my view.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 5:15 PM 

If Brook is an opener, that's perfect.Play him at the top and drop Lyth down the order, where he started and always, to me, looked more comfortable. He's never been an opener by nature in my view.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk