<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jack Leaning

July 3 2017 at 10:40 PM
Martin  (Login Martinh00)

I mentioned this earlier, but to expand a little, Jack had a good half hour net during the lunch break. Gale, Moxon and Fisher wanging it in with dog throwers - Gale started off by bowling a series of lethal bouncers - not really what Leaning needed, but found his range after a while. Patto provided the "proper" bowling.

Leaning was very keen to have the net, and I heard him saying something like - we can get another five minute in - as the lunch break neared its end. Moxon, and to a lesser extent Gale, were providing hints and tips. Leaning was listening, asking questions, seeking reassurance. I got the feeling that the issue they were working/advising on was keeping shape, head into the ball, and not closing the face. At one point Leaning I think asked for reassurance that his bat was coming down in a straight line.

Scarborough offers us the chance to see this up close - rather than behind closed doors. It was a reminder that players badly want to play for the club, and for the first team - and, if Leaning is anything to go by, are very keen to understand why they are struggling and try to put it right.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Jack Leaning

July 4 2017, 7:24 AM 

This is pleasing to hear about on a day when our top order batting appears to be exposed for all its frailties.

Jack is still someone to not write off and has potential but I hoped his ton in the roses match had cemented his spot but he is now behind Brook and TKC in the pecking order despite runs for the 2s.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 4 2017, 10:47 AM 

Looks like he will be back in against Essex regardless as Brook is captaining the U19s in the ODI series vs India.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 4 2017, 11:15 AM 

I think it may be time to have one of those "conversations" with England, where we point out that a spell in the first division would be more useful to the player himself. There are precedents. As I said elsewhere, I hope someone at the club has such things on file.

fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 4 2017, 11:19 AM 

Oh, dear God, is there any one of our players they DON'T have their eyes on???

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 4 2017, 11:27 AM 

He's currently having a spell in the first divsion. So why can't he have the best of both?

He was already part of the U19 set up.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 4 2017, 11:37 AM 

I think Harry Brook is very talented, but even he can't be in two places at once.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 4 2017, 11:47 AM 

Playing now in the first division.

Will captain England U19s in the Odi series.

Equals doing BOTH.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 4 2017, 11:57 AM 

Well there are four other players not selected by England for the very reason they have decided to let them play county cricket for their first teams as it's better for their development.

Sam Curran, Pope (who will be practicing his catching) Rawlins and our own Matt Fisher have been left to play county cricket.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/5795/brook-to-lead-england-u19s

So another of our players England want in order to get experience of captaining v international sides.....

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 4 2017, 11:59 AM 

The management still have to make a decision as to whether to approach the ECB to be allowed to keep him for the moment. I seem to recall similar conversations in past years. Wasn't Jonny Bairstow exempted from England U19 duty at one point?

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Jul 4, 2017 12:01 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 4 2017, 12:11 PM 

Could approach them and ask to keep him for the Essex game which clashes with the 1st and 2nd ODIs.

The warm ups, 4 day matches and the remaining ODIs only clash with T20 blast, which he won't be required for.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 4 2017, 12:14 PM 

Perhaps we could swap Matt Fisher for Brook.

(Login KennyShovel)

July 4 2017, 4:58 PM 

It was Adil Rashid in 2007 who was initially picked for U19 duty, then, following comments by Martyn Moxon, allowed to stay with Yorkshire. However, he had at that point already established himself as a championship regular and played for England Lions earlier in the summer.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 4 2017, 6:21 PM 

Thanks for your help with that, Kenny S. I had a feeling there was a precedent, though I couldn't dredge it from memory. Mind you, I'd only just packed up playing in 2007, so I was probably more focused on the Warwickshire League!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk