<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Two)

July 4 2017, 2:18 PM 

I wonder if the Somerset faithful are moaning about Leach not being given a bowl yet?

(Login StuFletch)

July 4 2017, 2:58 PM 

Thank God for the rain. Our only hope for repelling the opposition these days.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 4 2017, 3:04 PM 

Steady on chaps - hold brave.
I'm still forecasting a first innings lead here....

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 4 2017, 3:04 PM 

Remember, in the game two years ago, both Yorks and Durham struggled to come to terms with the bouncy and pacy nature of the pitch and were bowled out for around 160. Then we scored 400 odd in our second innings (Rashid and Maxwell putting the bowlers to the sword), and we won by a mile.

Appreciate that we are not quite in the same position as we were in 2015, but here's hoping..!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 4 2017, 3:36 PM 

Only real difference is there last wicket partnership at moment but problem is our last pair may nor exist if Siddys back hurts

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

July 4 2017, 3:51 PM 

Thank God for the rain. Our only hope for repelling the opposition these days.

Not sure about that, gives Craig Overton a nice little rest, the major difference at this stage is the absence of Sidebottom at the end of Somerset's innings which with tiring bowlers helped them get an extra 40-60 runs, of course Groenewald had to get them too, Fair play to him, hopefully Plunkett can go on a similar of a burst...

(Login dpressed)

July 4 2017, 3:52 PM 

Some of today's wickets .....Brook got a snorter, KC was unlucky in that a ball he played spun back & just dodged the bails. Bresnan looks completely out of form. He was dropped in the slips before getting out. But we haven't had the luck. Hodd & Rashid were just getting going when it started to rain. O'Shaughnessy wanted them off immediately but Robinson kept them out until it started raining harder.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 4 2017, 4:05 PM 

Rain looks pretty much set in now.

Well played by the umpires, I thought they got play going and kept it going for as long as possible.

Enjoyable couple of hours, very difficult to bat for the morning session so not very pretty to watch. Quick dash to the follow-on total after lunch when batting looked a lot easier.

Perhaps Hodd was getting a bit carried away and he should have reined it in when Overton came back.

If we can get to within 50 it's all to play for.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

July 4 2017, 4:11 PM 

"If we get to within 50 then it's all to play for"

No, haven't you heard what the twitter fanbase has declared?, the contest is over and only 2 days of rain will save the draw.

(Login Pandadada)

July 4 2017, 4:17 PM 

Still hope -. per the weather forecast tomorrow is totally cloudy ( good bowling conditions) when Somerset will be batting again. The fourth day looks like white cloud, better for batting for when we come back to the crease.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

July 4 2017, 4:25 PM 

Really need to keep the hope alive that we can get back into this one. If we pull off a win we enter a long break from the CC still in a relatively decent position despite of all our current problems. Then some players can have a slog in the T20, others can spend time in the 2nds, and hopefully we can come back with a bit of momentum and more confidence. Lose this however, and the feeling of rot really will start to kick in, and I think this will be when we see a significant section of the fanbase begin to turn on players and possibly Gale/Moxon/the board.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 4 2017, 4:30 PM 

no the board is doing a fine job delivering projects and sponsorships and increasing turnover

I am not so sure for gale and moxon ( I had my doubts re gale from immediate appointment - probably the first to state the decline starts here on the day of his appointment ( not got the tactics, contacts and stale voice etc) but in fairness now is not the time to judge but the end of the season

some of the players have let them down

as others have said plenty to play for in this game and we have a shout with another 50

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 4 2017, 5:38 PM 

Well Alex, I agree with you about this match but looks as though the rain will be deciding factor. I am looking forward to my usual trip to Scarborough for the next CC match against the leaders (Cookless) and am hoping to see our team performing much better. The break for T20s could be beneficial and we will hopefully see our established players find form again before the Essex match.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

July 4 2017, 5:38 PM 

I'm not too unhappy about the rain. After all the only bad result would be to lose against a team that, along with Warwickshire, is odds on for demotion. Given our decidedly fragile batting lineup and the loss of Gary Ballance, it would not surprise me if we didn't manage a win over the last five matches.

Although if we could somehow pull out a win in this match...
""

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 4 2017, 6:48 PM 

The Hodd lbw decision looked very iffy. He was about 3yds down the wicket.

Still think we need a first innings lead, if possible, to win this match. We could still get it, but looking unlikely now. I would not fancy our chances, with our dodgy looking batting line-up, to get many more than 150 in our second innings. To many players out of form to be confident of us getting more than that.

Is shows how un-reliable our batting is when, apart from Gary, Brooks has the best batting average in our team!!

A 150 partnership tomorrow between Plunkett & Rashid would put is back in with a chance!!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 4, 2017 7:03 PM

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 4 2017, 7:36 PM 

Anything near parity and we bowl well and we are in with a good chance - Somerset's batting has also been brittle this year

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 4 2017, 8:11 PM 

If we get within 50 we're still in it.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk