<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Arthur Dolphin

July 4 2017 at 11:54 AM
Dewsburian  (Login Dewsburian)

Arthur Dolphin, Yorkshire's regular wicketkeeper between 1910 and 1927, got a mention on the radio commentary yesterday. Sadly, neither Anthony Gibson nor Dave Townsend seemed to have heard of him (Gibson's famous father, Alan, may well be spinning in his grave).
I noticed many years ago that in Dolphin's only test match, the fourth test against Australia at Melbourne in 1921, both wicketkeepers were born in Yorkshire - Dolphin at Wilsden near Bingley and Australia's "Sammy" Carter, the famous undertaker, at Northowram in Halifax. I wonder if anything similar has happened before or since.
Just as a footnote, Ces Parkin (Durham-born, but at one point a Yorkshire player) and Harry Makepeace (Yorkshire-born, but a Lancashire cricketer) also played in that test.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Arthur Dolphin

July 4 2017, 11:58 AM 

Possibility that when Luke Ronchi played for New Zealand v Australia that both keepers from same state?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

July 5 2017, 8:02 AM 

I would think that there are many examples of K Pieterson playing against his native South Africa. At a guess I would suspect Hashim Amla and Pieterson, as both come from Natal.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Jul 5, 2017 8:14 AM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 5 2017, 8:10 AM 

When looking at the excellent photographs of Scarborough from the late thirties, I thought that I recognised one of the umpire's as Arthur Dolphin - not that I knew him personally!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 5 2017, 8:45 AM 

I can recall seeing a dolphin at Scarborough too. Back in the 70s I think there was a sea world by the open air pool on the roundabout near bottom end of Peasholm Park and I recall being plucked from the audience to go up and stroke the dolphin. Not sure Arthur would have been as welcoming....

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 5 2017, 10:41 AM 

Which inevitably leads us on to the subject of cricketers named after sea creatures......?

(Don't fail me now.)

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 5 2017, 11:20 AM 

Prawn Pollock?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

July 5 2017, 11:25 AM 

Beradius bairdii (i.e Baird's Beaked Whale)

There was an Australian called Sam Baird on Derbyshire's books a few years ago, but I do not think that he ever played in the First XI.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 5 2017, 11:51 AM 

Nathan SeaLion
Laurie Fishlock

Plus

Steven Finn
Arjuna RanaTUNA
Wally Trout
Virat Coley
Phil Mustard Eel
Ray Lindwall
Zander de Bruyn

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Jul 5, 2017 1:09 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 3:18 PM 

There is of course the Lancs league player Albert Ross

http://middleton.play-cricket.com/website/results/2808821

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 3:24 PM 

Trevor Barnacle Bailey?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 3:35 PM 

Umar Gull?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 5 2017, 3:40 PM 

An Eel Kumble?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 5 2017, 5:36 PM 

Thanks everyone.
The highlight of an otherwise forgettable day.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk