<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

balance of a team

July 5 2017 at 12:15 AM
Phil  (Login PhiltheYorkshirefan)

Keep seeing Yorkshire teams just full of bowlers and people that can't bat.

Surely the wicket keepers got to be a good batter. We are let down by that and before anyone mentions anything it was clear Bairstow would be away with England.

3 seam, 1 spin with an allrounder. Think if you put Plunkett and Rashid together you could say that's the allrounder.
With them bowling Brooks they've gone and used 6 bowlers. That's too many.

Heard Vaughan say yesterday that in Test Cricket you want 3 1/2 seamers and a spinner. Lyth/ Rashid should be more than good enough to take the overs of 1 1/2. Rashid to attack and Lyth to defend. Then you go with three seamers. Plunkett Bresnan and another should be good enough at County level.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ball Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

Re: balance of a team

July 5 2017, 4:05 AM 

In the current game v Somerset, they have indeed used six bowlers. The sixth bowler being Harry Brook. But, I'm going to say - he only bowled because Ryan Sidebottom went off the field injured early in his spell.

We started the game with three frontline seamers in Sidebottom, Plunkett & Coad. Bresnan as the fourth seamer & Rashid as the spinner.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 5 2017, 8:14 AM 

Any keeper worth his salt who can bat isn't going to settle for being the second choice keeper at a county though. Not sure we could have signed many others happy to play second fiddle when bairstow was available. Mustard fell out of favour at Durham and Davies at Surrey but the timing didn't meet our needs. All our home grown young keepers fell by the way side as few could bat better than Hodd who accepts the situation, gets on with it and is a great team man who gets decent runs down the order.

Don't blame him for letting the team down by not scoring the runs of bairstow when the seven before him in the order constantly fail!

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 5 2017, 8:47 AM 

Is the OP confusing Brook and Brooks?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 5 2017, 9:29 AM 

I think the situation re keeper batsman has now changed. Our Aussie being a part time keeper has clouded the issue in one day cricket but Bairstow is to all intents and purposes out of the picture, and our keeper is no longer a bit part player.

Indeed if we could get a top class keeper batsman, Bairstow could easily fit in as a batsman only in the couple of matches he would be available for selection.

Hodd got a few runs yesterday but he is able to play with freedom, too much freedom possibly, because he probably feels he has nothing to lose.

I'd like to see him given the responsibility of batting at 6 for the rest of the season to see how he handles it.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 5 2017, 12:01 PM 

Over the years, Adil has tended to bat better when he's been higher in the order. I've a feeling the same may also apply to Hodd. I think these options may make sense, as Tim B isn't in the form of the last two years. There have been a few successful counties in recent years where the main function of the top order has been to take the sting out of the bowlers, so that the lower middle order can make the runs.
I know Adil quite likes batting at Scarborough by the way, but I'm thinking more generally.

(Login dpressed)

July 5 2017, 8:00 PM 

The story of our last 3 seasons has been a failing top order saved by a combination of one batsman plus the bottom order.

In 2014 Bairstow effectively won us the Championship. Last year it was Bresnan whilst this season Ballance has been brilliant. I worry that now Ballance has gone back to England we won't score enough runs to win matches.

So blame our failing top order not Hodd who is a decent keeper who does get runs

(Login dpressed)

July 5 2017, 8:00 PM 

The story of our last 3 seasons has been a failing top order saved by a combination of one batsman plus the bottom order.

In 2014 Bairstow effectively won us the Championship. Last year it was Bresnan whilst this season Ballance has been brilliant. I worry that now Ballance has gone back to England we won't score enough runs to win matches.

So blame our failing top order not Hodd who is a decent keeper who does get runs

(Login dpressed)

July 5 2017, 8:01 PM 

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 5 2017, 8:26 PM 

O.K don't go on!

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

July 6 2017, 8:21 AM 

I agree completely with the OP about the balance of a side needing a keeper who can bat. This has often been discussed and seems to cause a debate about Hodd (Almost the modern day arguement like Patto used to be).

The fact is Hodd has done a good job in fairness with the bat this year. He is also a good keeper and good in the dressing room.

He is also a very good number 2 back up for Bairstow.

And in there lies the problem.

Bairstow is barely with us anymore. In fact if we see him for 2 County games a season I am happy.

Also, Bairstow has been the best County batsman for some time and the reality , nobody would be as good.

That said I have long said 6 is a position to high for Bresnan. He is suited to 7. None of our bowlers (who can bat) are good enough for higher than 8. Rashid again we really ca nnot include due to his England commitments.

The best line up in terms of balance would mean a keeper in the top 6. Bresnan at 7 and then 4 bowlers.

I would sacrifice Handscomb next year in order to achieve that from an overseas player. Or perhaps a Kolpak. Or maybe bring through one of our own?

We also have to factor in the balance of our One Day teams which clearly need a keeper batsman.

There are some out there. The lad who opened for India but is a back up - Patel is it?

Villas at Lancs is also proof of the Kolpak option.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 6 2017, 10:15 AM 

Hat trick by dp

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Jul 6, 2017 10:16 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk