<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Four)

July 6 2017, 11:58 AM 

Playing like this, we won't win another match this season

Dave
(Login rognumber)

July 6 2017, 12:02 PM 

well as I have been 'banging' on about in several posts Handscomb is a waste of time and money.
If anyone from the Yorkshire decision makers on the overseas recruitment are reading this please make sure next time you bring a Sankagarra / Chanderpaul or just don't bother . It is painful to see such a thing being made of these overseas 'stars' . They are only such if they have a batting average well above 50 in both Test and 1st class cricket. No need to bring average kids who are no better than our home grown lads.

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 6 2017, 12:05 PM 

Been saying for some time Gale not up to it...poor appointment and I was never convinced about him as a bat or captain...time for change. Lythe and KC both need to make a hundred as do GB and JR at Lords

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

July 6 2017, 12:11 PM 

It's hard to be positive at the moment. Our bowlers have all got old together. Our three best batsmen all play for England and our coach is seemingly out of his depth. You could pick any combination of 5 up top and it would make little to no difference to us.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 6 2017, 12:12 PM 

"well as I have been 'banging' on about in several posts Handscomb is a waste of time and money.
If anyone from the Yorkshire decision makers on the overseas recruitment are reading this please make sure next time you bring a Sankagarra / Chanderpaul or just don't bother . It is painful to see such a thing being made of these overseas 'stars' . They are only such if they have a batting average well above 50 in both Test and 1st class cricket. No need to bring average kids who are no better than our home grown lads."

Er. Peter Handscomb averages 51 in tests and 54 in first class cricket.. (as does Chanderpaul co-incidentally).

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

July 6 2017, 12:13 PM 

I think this might put an end to the theory that we have to drop Lyth and Lees because "anyone else has to be better". Yes in an ideal world they would be in the 2nd team right now (I think there's a chance one of them might be soon.) and hopefully TKC and Brook will be great top order batsmen for us one day but right now one barely has a career average of 30 and the other is only 17 years old. If we're going to get out of this rut we need our senior players to step up.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Jul 6, 2017 12:15 PM

(Login Fozzie1973)

July 6 2017, 12:13 PM 

What coaching are these batsman getting, somebody has to be held accountable for the batting debacles we see game after game, please don't blame it on the ECB

Southern_Tyke
(Login Southern_Tyke)

July 6 2017, 12:14 PM 

Ballance gone for 20, maybe we can have him back now

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 6 2017, 12:23 PM 

Handscomb doesn't average 54 in FC Cricket.

Dave
(Login rognumber)

July 6 2017, 12:24 PM 

Martin , Handscomb's current 1st class average is 40.82 after today's innings - see live career average under statistics tab in

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-championship-division-1-2017/engine/match/1068559.html

In Tests his 597 runs are at 54.27 average from just 15 innings with 4 not outs . Hardly compares with Chanderpaul who has made well over 10,000 runs !

This message has been edited by rognumber on Jul 6, 2017 12:27 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 6 2017, 12:30 PM 

Apologies Dave, was looking at strike rate. Still think that his was a reasonable pick. He did have an incredible start to his test career last year, and based on that form and first class form leading up to his test selection (and given that he is "a good age"), it wasn't unreasonable to expect him to do well.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 6 2017, 12:30 PM 

Going at 4 an over from the off, regardless of wickets. Wonder if we promised Somerset that if less than 340 we'd go for it, and go down guns blazing rather than shut up shop ... echo of our deal with Middx that did for Somerset last year? Desperate for the points, Somerset would've bought that.
And it looks like a good deal for them too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 12:35 PM 

You live in hope for today being the day when things change but sadly it's same old.

Mentally shot and in need of a break with t20 giving Lees the chance to do so. Leaning due back soon.

Overseas players are always a gamble when you go for someone starting out in their international career. We did well with Starc and Miller and then Williamson but Handscomb is proving to be a Yuvraj or Richardson sadly.

Still able to draw if we fight but Leach is fresh and must fancy a fourth day track

Dave
(Login rognumber)

July 6 2017, 12:39 PM 

agreed Martin he did have an incredible start too his Test career but I do believe in proven experience and 15 test innings is not enough. With Yorkshire batting woes they really can only take someone who has a much better record than the current lot. So I think a FC average of 50+ with a high test average after probably at least 50 innings is worth taking a chance on. Sadly Handscomb is way off those criteria.

Jay
(Login overman8)

July 6 2017, 12:53 PM 

I think we got the better of the morning session.

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 6 2017, 12:54 PM 

Balance also had an incredible start to his test career and got found out....This is about a failing top 6 in reality except for GB but more importantly it is about management. I am convinced Gillespie saw this coming and it was one of the reasons why he jumped, so we replaced him with someone with no coaching/management experience...

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

July 6 2017, 12:54 PM 

Starc and Miller did well in T20 but nothing much in FC games which is what we are talking about here . Kane seems to be fondly remembered but i do not think his average for Yorkshire was anything special . He only made 1 FC hundred for us .

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 6 2017, 12:58 PM 

Looks like both Somerset and Warwickshire will win so we could be in a relegation fight and we are not too good to go down.

(Login matthefish2002)

July 6 2017, 1:09 PM 

I wouldn't go so far as to boo if I was at Scarborough today but certainly wouldn't be clapping them off to lunch.

I don't think we will go down but with having to play the best team this season Essex twice I would not say its impossible.
Hopefully re group with only 1 Championship game until start of September.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 6 2017, 1:14 PM 

I don't remember anybody complaining when we signed Handscomb. People are fantastic judges when hindsight is on their side.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk