<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Four)

July 6 2017 at 1:44 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Jul 3-6, 2017 - at North Marine Road Ground, Scarborough

Somerset 268 & 234-3 (68.3 overs) Yorkshire 213
Somerset lead by 289 runs with 7 wickets remaining

Live Scorecard
Scarborough Weather
Live Commentary
Scarborough Memories (EastCoastExile)
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Four)

July 6 2017, 7:15 AM 

Interesting day ahead, as ever the weather forecasts don't seem to agree but I usually go by the met office website which suggests we have a decent chance of a dry day with showers most likely to arrive later rather than sooner.

I have a feeling Somerset may be cautious and have another 45 minutes batting but there must be a temptation to put us in straight away. Part of me wants us to have the challenge of batting all day. We really do need it and if we can't manage it then we don't deserve anything from this match.

My prediction, atleast one of our batsmen will come good and we'll just hold on until bad light sees the day out.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Jul 6, 2017 7:16 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 6 2017, 7:56 AM 

It has been raining overnight. High cloud but much brighter and the cold wind has gone.

Sunshine forecast so I shall look forward to that.

The game is in their hands. Interesting decision to be made.

5 points for a draw won't do them much good, but then again another defeat might well be terminal for their season.

Pandadada
(Login Pandadada)

July 6 2017, 8:11 AM 

I think we will win today. Somerset need a win, they need time to bowl us out and they think we are lacking confidence with the bat. Even if they decide to bat for another 45 mins and get a lead of say 320, think we can do it. Don't go out and bat negatively, bat positively. Think Lyth, on his home ground will attack and give us a good start. Perhaps have Hodd open with Lyth.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 8:50 AM 

Mid game isn't the time to mess about with batting orders!

They will bat this morning to give Hildreth his hundred and then they will smash it around the park for half an hour against our depleted attack. This will either be spinners who will be hit for boundaries or Brook and Coad whose confidence will then be ruined.

We will bat and not know whether to stick or twist and get stuck between the two options playing into Somersets hands.

Whether the weather saves us will depend on how our top order bats. But we won't win this one

Dave
(Login rognumber)

July 6 2017, 9:08 AM 

As ever the diversity of opinions on this forum is always a pleasure to read. For what its worth mine is that a draw ought to be achievable if one or two of the lads get stuck in. Certainly time for Handscomb to deliver and ' earn his bacon' !

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 6 2017, 9:10 AM 

A win is still possible for reasons already stated - Somerset don't have time to bat us out of the game. A defeat is more likely but I suspect a draw is the most likely of all.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 6 2017, 9:21 AM 

Looking at the forecast i've seen, Somerset need to declare overnight if they're serious about wanting a win..
We were very lucky at Taunton - perhaps we will be again.
We've been second best throughout this game but it just takes one batsman to get a century and we could sneak a win here..

Scarbados usually favours the brave.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 6 2017, 10:22 AM 

We have been poor in this game but given that we were one and them two bowlers down I don't think it's fair to say we don't deserve to win. If we did get whatever total is set for us then we would deserve that result.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

July 6 2017, 10:28 AM 

I agree with you about the bowlers Martin, the fact we can still be competative despite all of the absences and injuries is amazing.

Working with what have though I couldn't see a way we could win without a mixture of fortunate weather and Somerset needing a win. They'd have been way further in front than what they are now if we hadn't have lost so much play.

east coast type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 6 2017, 10:32 AM 

We have resembled Monty Python's black knight in this match.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 6 2017, 10:33 AM 

They need to win this more than we do. Unless they are convinced they can skittle us out (and they may be, but I think not), they have to set us an achievable target. We can still win this.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 6 2017, 10:43 AM 

80 odd overs probably, give themselves a few with the second new ball.

Not sure they have to set us anything too gettable, men around the bat and us batting for the draw still gives them plenty of chance.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Jul 6, 2017 10:43 AM

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Delcared

July 6 2017, 11:23 AM 

Hildreth got his ton and immediately declared. 337 to win

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

July 6 2017, 11:24 AM 

Poor so far although bowlers coming under heavy fire. We don't seem to have much by way of response. Reminds me of the final day at Scarborough last season against Middlesex when an onslaught in the first hour gave them huge momentum when they bowled. Not a good start.

Oh they've declared so 335 ish in 88. I'd have batted for another 3 or 4 overs although maybe Somerset have concerns about tea time thunderstorms.

Jay
(Login overman8)

July 6 2017, 11:25 AM 

Now time for Lyth, Lees, Handscomb and Bresnan to step up.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 6 2017, 11:26 AM 

ECT that Monty Python black knight reference is a classic! LOL.

(Login matthefish2002)

July 6 2017, 11:26 AM 

Not impossible we can win this but don't have much faith in out batting at the moment.
Got a feeling for a draw.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 11:27 AM 

Hildreth ton. Tick

Half hour smashing it about. Tick.

Yorkshire chase or defend?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 6 2017, 11:30 AM 

That's a good declaration by Somerset. They want to win, don't want a draw. Gives a chance -- hope Bressie makes up his mind one way or t'other.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk