<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

I question their commitment

July 6 2017, 7:15 PM 

I question Rashid's commitment! 91 for 6 and he plays what I call a big yahoo at their spinner Leach. Whilst in the field he looks very withdrawn and very down. His bowling in this match like his last two was woeful. (2 for 74 and 0 for 47). Now overlooked by England is TRYING his best for Yorkshire? There I have said it. He is a shadow of his former self.
A Buchan

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Four)

July 6 2017, 8:22 PM 

Rashid was our top scorer in the match!

Injuries meant he was forced to come on to try and hold an end, we all know by now he isn't a defensive bowler.

I can't see how any of the Yorkshire team could have looked upbeat so unfair to single out Rashid.

We need to get some leaders on the field.

Think Shaun Marsh and David Willey will help in the short term for T20 but both should be considered for the next CC.

(Login dpressed)

July 6 2017, 8:59 PM 

So 'we won't get relegated'

Middlesex were winless until they beat us at Lords, they are now a mere 6 points behind us with a game in hand. Beating us could have a similar effect on Somerset's season. Hildreth has been in awful form but has now scored a 100. If they win their game in hand they would be under 20 points behind us.
So we'd be in a dog fight for the 2nd relegation place.

As for 'getting behind the team'. This is hard when every delivery is a potential wicket .... yes its got 'that' bad. As I've said before. We won the Championship in 2015 on the back of Bairstow's runs. Last season Bresnan pulled us out of the mire time after time with one of the openers usually getting runs. No Ballance has gone we have nothing. The highest Yorkshire score in this match was 49, from Rashid, due to a scoreboard error his 50 was clapped, Adil then went runless for a whilte bfore getting himeself out. We had one 50 partnership, from Brook & KC in the first innings, broken when Overton bowled a snorter of a short ball. Overeton repeated the ball in Harry's 2nd innings, this time without him scoring

Otley
(Login Otley)

County Championship | Yorkshire vs Somerset at Scarborough (Day Four)

July 6 2017, 9:06 PM 

We were comprehensively outplayed today, which can happen to any team. More worryingly this is the 10th successive day since the last day at Taunton that this has been the case (assume we can say we won that day as we won the game but ....?) and what transpired was not a surprise. I was disappointed that the idea of batting out in the hope of a draw (and the chance of rain) didn't seem part of our plan - strangely the 3 top line batsmen who got ducks can be absolved here as they weren't around long enough to tell! The most disturbing sign for me is that in every game I've seen this year (about 60% of total) we've been the poorer fielding side, often indicative of an unhappy "camp".

Having said that, congratulations to Somerset. From their troubled position they took their chance eagerly. Overton was a real threat throughout and bowled long spells. Leach looked a quality spinner having been saved until conditions favoured him. Incidentally, who on earth decided to prevent his chance to play for England? I've seen at least a couple of slow bowlers this season with more suspect actions and from the tiny bit of IPL I've bothered with a couple in every team seem to be "chuckers".

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 6 2017, 9:27 PM 

This is looking very much like a slump that might end in the ultimate disgrace come the end of the season. One thing it does is throw into high relief how good we were under JG to remain competitive despite the enforced absences. We need to see a reaction in the next match. It's all looking pretty grim.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

July 6 2017, 10:04 PM 

I try to avoid knee jerk reactions but today was bad, actually it was very bad. Everything we did was below the required standard, the obvious comparison is the games from the pre - Dizzy relegation season.

The players playing were the best available, as phrased back in the thread I blame the pickers rather than the picked. Somehow the coaching staff have to return players they know very well such as Lees, Lyth, Brookes, Leaning, Ras to the successful players they're capable to being.

My biggest complaint today is we seemingly had no plan - this was evident in the few overs we bowled and throughout our batting. We didn't seem to think we could score the runs, we certainly didn't have a plan to go about it. At least we could have attempted to try and save the game. Just what was said in the dressing room at lunch? Too many (most?) of the dismissals were the result of scrabbled minds and a complete lack of clarity in our thinking, prime examples being TKC, Hodd and Ras.

Andrew Gale and Rich Pryah, not doing nearly as well as Silvers and Mags!!

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jul 6, 2017 10:54 PM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

July 6 2017, 10:20 PM 

All the doom_mongers are having a field day. Have a few weeks off and come back refreshed.

Jay
(Login overman8)

July 6 2017, 10:55 PM 

That's true Marsker, maybe they need to spend a few days with the happy-clappy brigade on here. There are no excuses to made after such an abject performance we just seem so rudderless at present.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 6 2017, 10:57 PM 

Marsker -- So you think everything in the YCC garden is coming up roses then??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 7, 2017 8:02 AM

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 7 2017, 12:45 AM 

The only surprise for me today was that we got 150-odd. We have been ripe for a sub-100 score for a while and at 12-3 after 3 or 4 overs I thought it was finally arriving.

The 2015 title should have been seen for what it was - a massively successful and truly wonderful to watch 'winging it' operation (from the batting point of view - the bowling was superb).

From the off in April at Worcester (when much of our first XI were in the West Indies) through to the Rashid/Maxwell rescue operation vs Durham at NMR in August, via Jonny scoring 125 out of 229 vs Middlesex, we were blagging it. Gale and Dizzy called it out at that Scarborough game, saying that the top order needed to start properly delivering. It never has, really. And nothing was done in close season 15/16 or 16/17.

The calling up of Ballance took away the final solid part of the batting line-up. Somerset must have hardly believed their luck before the game, only to look on in disbelief during it as we were reduced to two seamers.

Where do we go from here? No idea. But we didn't need to have started from here.

I take no pleasure from any of this. I have just spent the best part of 300 quid and used up 3 days leave to watch days 2,3 and 4.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

July 7 2017, 8:55 AM 

The last thing we wanted at this particular time is a poor performing team, so many supporters / members are negative on the changes to our game we have now and with more to come, add this to a poor side and it doesn't look good for our fragile finances

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 7 2017, 9:58 AM 

Well at least we had a meaningful day 4 thread for a Change....

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 7 2017, 10:22 AM 

Every cloud has a silver lining.

davedee
(Login davydav)

July 7 2017, 12:11 PM 

Marsker (Joe) I"m no doomonger as you know,but I was there for all 4 days, and believe me , all the descriptions on this forum about our performance, are more or less warranted, it was a shameful team performance, for me the aggressive fast bowling from Overton was superb

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 7 2017, 1:14 PM 

Jay, there's no 'happy clappy brigade on here' because no one is happy. The difference lies in how different posters respond to that unhappiness. I prefer the more thoughtful responses like Sid's to the brief two or three line efforts questioning either the players' commitment or the management's judgement. I'm sure we're all thinking about the situation a lot. I'm bound to say I can't see any straightforward steps to take.

Back in 2011 there were a number of quite derogatory posters regularly attacking the team or staff. They all disappeared when we started winning. I detect some posts along those lines now.

And if I'm remotely 'happy clappy' at the moment, I hate to think what I'd be like when I'm
miserable.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 7 2017, 1:42 PM 

The concern i have about the 2011 comparison is that the squad was massively under-performing then. I am not sure it is to the same degree in 2017. Also, Brez, Sid and Patto were all much younger.

We'll see.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 7 2017, 2:19 PM 

I share your concern ECT. My comparison was the nature of the posts, not the nature of the team.

(Login dpressed)

July 7 2017, 6:17 PM 

I find it interesting that the doom mongerers mainly went to the match whilst the all is fine didn't.

I never enjoy watching Yorkshire lose, but in 2013 & again last year we were defeated by the team that won the championship & in both cases we could have saved the match. Yesterday most Yorkies at the match said that Somerset could have declared overnight as there was no way we'd get the 280 odd they already led by. This is starting to feel like 2011 when the wheels came off time after time.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 7 2017, 6:35 PM 

Not sure I can see any 'all is fine' posters after this match. As I said, its more about how you respond to the disappointment. I'm genuinely worried, but I don't think I'll ever be able to express that in terms of derogatory remarks about the players I've been watching for the last seven years.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk