<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1st Test | England vs South Africa at Lord's (Match Thread)

July 6 2017 at 3:16 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

England from: JE Root*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, GS Ballance, SCJ Broad, AN Cook, LA Dawson, KK Jennings, TS Roland-Jones, BA Stokes, MA Wood

South Africa from: D Elgar*, HM Amla, T Bavuma, TB de Bruyn, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, HG Kuhn, KA Maharaj, AK Markram, M Morkel, CH Morris, D Olivier, AL Phehlukwayo, VD Philander, K Rabada
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 1st Test | England vs South Africa at Lord's (Match Thread)

July 6 2017, 7:54 AM 

Good luck to Joe in his first test as skipper.

All the fuss is about Ballance at 3 but I think the bigger issue is the selection of Dawson. Hopefully it will inspire Adil to do well today for Yorkshire.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 6 2017, 9:15 AM 

Very difficult looking start for Joe at our hoodoo ground and with an ageing, injury-troubled seam attack and no quality spinner. But will be fantastic to see him leading out the team and watch how he copes. Some bowlers on their side ideally suited to the ground, I would have thought. Wouldn't be surprised to see us struggle here but come back later in the series.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 6 2017, 9:19 AM 

Very hot in London - winning the toss would be the best possible start for Joe.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 6 2017, 9:23 AM 

If the heat turns out to be too much for the pitch, like it was when we played at Lords, then it really is a toss that Root needs to call right and bat.

I don't understand the Dawson thing but to be fair he did play in England's last test so I suppose it's just continuity of selection.

The forecast hot weather, and an injury prone seam attack, certainly indicates that 2 spinners will be required.

pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 6 2017, 12:24 PM 

Unfortunately GB's issue of playing around his pad is shown up again against high class bowling...as Vaughan says would not have much confidence in him against the Aussie quicks. As for the reviews😤

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 12:28 PM 

Yes Ballance was plumb in front and reviewing was a waste. Jennings was close to missing leg and worth a review but Ballance too junior to help him out.

Root playing with some luck. Dropped in gully and nearly caught hooking.

Mind you, there would have been uproar if he'd edged on to his helmet when they reviewed for the catch as it was a definite no ball but third umpire (no relation) said he could not be sure so benefit with the bowler. I always thought it went with the batsman but I also expect third umpires to make decisions not bottle them.

Morkels no ball to bowl Stokes didn't need referring it was that far over (Amir proportions...)

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Jul 6, 2017 3:21 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 4:31 PM 

At least one Yorkshireman to cheer about today. Well done Joe lad

(Login matthefish2002)

July 6 2017, 4:35 PM 

Well done Joe Root.

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

July 6 2017, 4:56 PM 

Yes, a real captain's innings. Good for his own morale and that of the team.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 6 2017, 4:58 PM 

Well done Joe!
Thats fantastic.

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

July 6 2017, 5:43 PM 

Just class....

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 6 2017, 5:51 PM 

He must have taken Yorkshire luck with him to Lords today and left none for the others in scarbados. Stumped off a no ball hiw

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 6 2017, 6:05 PM 

Brilliant knock, completely seizing the initiative.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 6 2017, 7:10 PM 

Went to Lord's. Clearly the right choice. Joe had some luck, but my God, did he ride it. Came through the Long Room at 6.30 to massive warmth. Cheering the roof off.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 6 2017, 8:27 PM 

Very much the Joe Root show.

Hope the pitch just doesn't get easier as the match goes on and we are left with a bore draw.

Would like England to get a positive result to mark his first game as captain.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 6 2017, 9:21 PM 

Joe was brilliant - and he's not even well. South Africa not up for this game, it seemed. It is a good pitch though, so we certainly need 400 plus, even though on paper their batting looks weakened.
Some of Joe's onside shots from outside off stump were sublime, i thought.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 7 2017, 10:44 AM 

Absolutely disgusted by some of the journalism I've seen this morning about Gary B. One innings back and they're talking about 'looking terrified', 'rabbit in the headlights' etc. I still think his style is strange and may be a problem at this level, but the truth is that he looked briefly a little nervous, settled quickly and actually looked less likely to get out than Joe at that point. Even the admirable Syld Berry says he doesn't have to deal with the new ball in county cricket, which is a laughable assessment of the strength of Yorkshire's early partnerships this season.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

July 7 2017, 10:57 AM 

Ballance was also the next highest scorer after Root in the top five. I would still prefer to see him coming in at five but I can't see him getting in there. I'm not convinced England have a natural number three. There are lots of options to try but no one has proven they can do it at international level yet. Is it too risky to put Root at three and move Ballance back a place?

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Jul 7, 2017 10:58 AM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 7 2017, 11:15 AM 

I love Gary Ballance but no way in a million years should be bat anything other than 5 for England. If the 5 slot isn't available then he shouldn't be in the team for me.
You either bat him at 5 and JB at 7 or, my preference, JB at 5 with a keeper at 7.
Top Three I'd go Cook, Stoneman, Jennings.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk