<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: 1st Test | England vs South Africa at Lord's (Match Thread)

July 7 2017, 11:56 AM 

I actually agree with those points. If Joe argued decisively for Gary, as it is alleged he did, he should probably have added 'and I'll bat 3'. Even 4 is probably too high for Gary however.

My comment was that, notwithstanding all that, the nature of the comments, after one innings, was totally unreasonable.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on Jul 7, 2017 11:57 AM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 7 2017, 5:32 PM 

I trust the journalists will have as much of a go at Dawson as they did of Ballance. His one job is to keep things tight, and he isn't managing it. Of course we shouldn't judge him on one innings should we..

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 7 2017, 6:20 PM 

No, but questions should be asked why Root was so keen to have Dawson in the team!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 7 2017, 8:29 PM 

Rabada misses the next match due to a bad language infringement.

Seems he gave Stokes a mouthful. Poor Stokes must have been terribly shocked, hope he gets over it.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 7 2017, 9:37 PM 

Have some sympathy with Rabada on this - as Michael Vaughan says, a two-word send-off brings a ban but no penalty for the captains over lax over rates on both sides. Maybe a fine, but surely not a ban.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 7 2017, 9:40 PM 

He wasn't suspended just for this incident though.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 7 2017, 9:46 PM 

Oh sorry, didn't realise.What else has he done? Set fire to the Long Room after snipping the ties of all the members?

PS there's a rumour going round that Yorkshire have won a game of cricket. Don't believe it myself.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 7 2017, 10:16 PM 

Serial offender seemingly. He looks such a nice boy too.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 8 2017, 9:16 AM 

It is an accumulation of points, that has caused the ban.

I do agree about the appalling over rates in test matches. They cannot even manage 90 overs in 6 and a half hrs. 30 runs for every over short added onto the opposition score, would stop it.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

July 8 2017, 9:23 AM 

Both sides were guilty, but SA worse. One small dumb example. A drinks break of several minutes was followed by a spinner coming on. Only as they moved into position did the team call up helmet and pads, thus adding another couple of minutes. I'm lucky, I'm a member, but general admissions tickets are expensive these days. To lose 5% of what you paid for because the players can't be bothered to do their job properly is very poor.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 8 2017, 10:53 AM 

I thought they were going to fine captains for every over not bowled, without good reason?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 9 2017, 10:44 AM 

Suggestion from MCC's Matthew Fleming yesterday - fine the umpires if the overs aren't completed.
Suspect they'd go on strike.

ed the fed
(Login edthefed)

lords test

July 9 2017, 11:24 AM 

The onus is on both teams AND the umpires to ensure that a satisfactory amount of overs are bowled, and that the paying public get to see a satisfactory days play.

Couple of thoughts tho

1) If the number of overs played is increased how would Sky fit in all its advertising breaks.Im sure its no co incidence that over rates have fallen since Sky started broadcasting!

2) If you fine the bowling team they will blame the batsmen for taking too much time out of the game. If the required amount of overs are not met, fine all payers and officials 50%
Of match fee...that will focus everyones attention. The fines to be donated to charity.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 9 2017, 12:32 PM 

Iirc, the over rates issue was looked into by Michael Holding and the conclusion was it was generally the fielding side that could do the most to increase it. I'm sure i remember captains being fined recently for poor over rates. I wonder why it didn't happen this time? Although yesterday morning the SA were going at 19 overs an hour.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 9 2017, 12:40 PM 

Regardless, a heck of a match developing. A very hard pitch to score on, and England won't be need to declare. The target should be too many, but you never quite know with Amla, de Kock and Bavuma to bat.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

England collapse

July 9 2017, 1:24 PM 

What a turnaround. England losing 7 wickets for 43 and throwing away what looked a great chance to go 1 up in the series. All bets are off now, and unless Bairstow can put up a good score England could well snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 9 2017, 1:26 PM 

At the rate this pitch is deteorating, 300 will be a very tall order indeed.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 9 2017, 1:32 PM 

Very few winning 4th innings run chases over 200 here apparently, and the pitch looks near unplayable at times. I suspect SA will attack from the start because run scoring might be easier with the new ball. Also, how will Moeen react to the pressure of bowing for victory? Fascinating.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 9 2017, 1:50 PM 

It's a superb test match.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 9 2017, 2:02 PM 

Invaluable knock from Cook and now Bairstow.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk