<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: 1st Test | England vs South Africa at Lord's (Match Thread)

July 9 2017, 6:53 PM 

SA missed plenty of chances to make this a far more competitive match.
I think as far as the pitch is concerned provided we get a variety of strips in the series it's no problem at all. The series as a whole is designed to test the relative merits of the two sides, isn't it? I would also have a problem if they were all like this.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 9 2017, 7:00 PM 

South Africa also batted terribly today, not sure you could blame the pitch for too many of their dismissals.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 9 2017, 7:43 PM 

A pretty good sporting day today, winning in men's and women's cricket formats while in the bigger round ball game, if I dare mention it, England have further confirmed their dramatic recent rise in the world game, at least in the age groups, by thrashing Germany 4-1 in the European under 19s. That is, England 4 Germany 1. (just thought I'd say it again). This after victory in the under 20 world cup and fine performances at almost all other levels too.

littleokdme.
(Login littleoldme.)

The defence of Yorkshire at Lord's

July 9 2017, 7:46 PM 

I was shot down when Yorkshire fans who were not at Lord's for .our recent Championship match. They slammed our team for their performance and me for that matter when Yorkshire were bowled out twice on a cracked and uneven surface. Almost lose the toss lose the match situation. If they were watching the Test Match today you will now have an idea how difficult it was for our team to save that Championship match.
A Buchan

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 9 2017, 7:52 PM 

I am one of those who is now a bit more forgiving of Yorkshire for losing that match after watching today.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 9 2017, 10:50 PM 

Hats off to Moeen. Something I hadn't appreciated was that his test bowling stats were virtually identical to Rashid going into the game in terms of strike rate economy and average. Obviously his ten for has improved his stats quite a bit after this game!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 10 2017, 10:54 AM 

I think this cogent, well argued comment from the cricinfo article sums it all up nicely and deserves a wide audience.

Contd. I thought i forget to say something. Root may have luck over Rat but Rooster is coming. Yes mr faf the prince of luck(rooster) will lord over root when it comes to luck.The thing every one should know , even though it is decided by captain's energy center but also rest of the team's luck. I am off the belief if you going to lose test series it is better to lose with young players. SA is ignoring youth for quiet some time and it is going to destroy their Test cricket. If there is no faf , i do not see SA even winning against zimbabwe. Even faf is king of luck , everything has its own limit. End comes swift. May be end of faf captaincy as well. SA will do same mistake like england and nz did. Appoint your best players as captain that is dekock. Skill player will never have power over human mind. They don't have time for it. They think its waste of time of their life. That is not interesting to them. Their existance is measured by mastering skill ,mastering gravity( do not exist).

Quite.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 10 2017, 12:27 PM 

Anyone else think that Adil's chances of a Test recall took a big step back in the last 24 hours?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 10 2017, 1:07 PM 

When his replacement bagged a pair, missed a full toss and was out bowled by the other spinner who was initially thought to be the se one spinner in the team?

Doubt they will play two spinners throughout the series when Moeen doing so well but then you don't need five seamers either. Dawson more likely to be replaced by a batsman but again no one really stands out as they keep telling us Ballance had no competition when he was recalled.

Unless Hameed comes good, or Malan converts t20 form to four day cricket or Vince shows the same form in the CC as Ballsnce it's hard to see who might replace Dawson. But it's hard to show four day form in a month of t20 cricket....

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 10 2017, 2:17 PM 

I suspect Rashid is further away from selection now than he was before the test begun, but for me this is more because the side won, the eleven provides a lot of bowling options and they are not going to want to rock the boat for this series, and it would in any case take a while to say that they got it wrong.

Longer term, I suspect that Dawson will need to prove that he can block up an end when conditions are not favourable. He was profligate in the first innings, and tidier in the second when there was considerable turn - which you would hope would be the case. Even then he was outbowled by the second spinner. Two wickets in very favourable conditions against a team that plays spin poorly is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 10 2017, 4:15 PM 

Rather more in it for the spinners, but in many respects, this Test wicket bore resemblances to that which Yorkshire played on a couple of weeks ago. One or two contributors have already hinted at this.
The increasingly inconsistent bounce, as a result of the dry surface, was common to both games.
I would agree with the poster who suggested that winning the toss offered a disproportionate advantage in both games - though in both games, I have little doubt that the better team won.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 10 2017, 4:44 PM 

I think I'm becoming more sympathetic to how Yorkshire fell away so badly at Lords having watched how the ball behaved in this match.

I think the groundsman may have prepared a good cricket wicket in each case but the extreme, for this country, weather may have hurried the deterioration.

Not as simple as win toss, win match, more win toss, play well, win match.

(Login Fozzie1973)

July 10 2017, 4:56 PM 

South Africa could easily have had a first innings lead if they had taken their chances so the game could then have gone either way, definitely was not a case of win the toss win the game

Going back to the Yorkshire game there would we have scored 450 had we won the toss & batted first, probably not but we'll never know

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk