<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Blast.

July 7 2017 at 11:02 AM
Tyke 1950  (Login Tyke1950)

I've noticed that this weekends Blast matches show an interesting trend.

As of this morning, the matches at Chesterfield, Cheltenham, Chelmsford and Worcester are all sold out.
The match at Northampton is close to a sell out.

I don't interpret this as a sign of a competition struggling to attract support. Indeed it would appear that the very Counties likely to be marginalised by the ECB's new City Based Competition are doing remarkably well in attracting an audience.
I doubt whether the sell out crowds at these places will be hurrying to Leeds or Manchester or Birmingham in order to watch cricket.
The real risk is that many of these supporters of the Blast will be lost to the game.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login KennyShovel)

Re: Blast.

July 7 2017, 12:05 PM 

A couple of weeks ago George Dobell reported that ticket sales for the T20 blast were up 16% on last year, which, if memory serves, had a similar increase from 2015.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

July 7 2017, 12:32 PM 

These "sell-out" venues do, indeed, have something in common. They all have smaller capacities than do the bigger Test Match grounds. It follows that a smaller number of sales are needed to secure a "sell-out"

(Login Tyke1950)

July 7 2017, 12:44 PM 

Your point is valid Brickyard but doesn't address my point.
I wonder how many of these supporters attending the smaller grounds will attend the larger grounds come 2020 and the dawning of the ECB's brave new age of City cricket?

I'll also add that sell-out means exactly that. More supporters could have been accommodated.
5,000 in Cheltenham is,proportionately, hugely more than will attend tonight's games at Birmingham or Cardiff or Leeds.

(Login dpressed)

July 7 2017, 7:46 PM 

Sky go on & on about the massive crowds at Essex, but that's because it only holds 5,500. Provided we get good weather there's a cahnce the Scarborough will get that many, for one day of a championship match

(Login WhiteroseDave)

July 9 2017, 6:36 PM 

Been to the Lancashire v Leicestershire game today at Liverpool. Without knowing what the capacity is I couldn't hazard a guess at the crowd numbers but it must have been at least 90% full on a tremendous sunny day. A lovely friendly ground and a thrilling end to an even game contested by 2 teams that had very little between them (2 to win off the last ball was achieved with a 6). Mark Cosgrove, in his short innings looked like he could pick the bowlers off at will and I was surprised when he got out. One thing that did stand out was the standard of fielding, both teams must have given away 10-15 runs with fumbles, letting the ball through them and general sloppiness, added to a fairly straightforward drop apiece. Both teams looked very reliant on a couple of batsmen, hopefully if we can nullify them these are teams we can take points from.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 9 2017, 6:51 PM 

Who would have thought it.

Leics & Derbys with 100% records, Notts have 2 losses from 2.

Lots of close matches. It is probably going to be one of those seasons where anyone can beat anyone, and the perceived wooden spoonists, finish in the top 4.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 10 2017, 8:08 AM 

Bit like the Championship then. Essex anyone?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 12 2017, 9:51 PM 

I watched some of the Sussex/Hants game tonight and the crowd looked pretty thin at Hove, especially for a local derby.

Sussex I thought were good at filling the ground for T20.

Either they have lost favour with the paying public, Wednesday nights are certainly not cricket nights, or the Sussex faithful have all got Sky!

Small local derby at Old Trafford on Friday sold out with 19,000 people, and that's on Sky too.

(Login Tyke1950)

July 13 2017, 8:28 AM 

One of the difficulties for the counties this year is that the notion of 'appointment to view' on a Friday night has been undermined by the return to a more concentrated dose of short-form cricket.
Sussex played their first match, which they lost, on Sunday at Arundel - in front of their usual 5,000+ - and their next home match, played in cool draughty conditions, was yesterday. Two matches in four days.
Soon Yorkshire will play three home matches in six days. Other counties experience the same concentration of fixtures. Somerset, for example, play three matches in five days at home, from the 21st of July,including their big Derby match with Gloucestershire. Even Somerset will struggle to sell out each of those matches.

When consulted, the counties asked for matches to be spread out over time and for most to be played on Friday.This resulted in increased attendances. The ECB have undermined these improvements in attendance by the change in scheduling and will, doubtless, be hoping for more unsettled weather and viewer exhaustion. Their agenda doesn't, any more, include the continued success of the Blast.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 13 2017, 9:09 AM 

I'm pretty sure the return to blocked games of 20/20 was driven by the players. By all accounts they really disliked having different forms of cricket in the same week or at least close together. They much preferred being able to settle into the format.
There was a report on cricinfo about it, I remember being surprised at the time as I didn't think it was that much of an issue for them, obviously it was.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 13 2017, 9:22 AM 

Last night was only on a Wednesday to suit Sky surely. They like a big derby game for tv but they can't all be on a Friday. Plus this week there is a test and women's World Cup to fit in. We have done well to get both roses matches on Friday's with the cameras at our home game I presume?

Good game to watch last night. Vince and Wright a class above but both sides seem to cast the net far and wide with two kolpaks each, at least one overseas apiece and others going through the process of becoming eligible for England. Roussow, Abbott, Ervine, Bailey, Afridi are half the Hants team so good to see Crane and Topley squeeze a few overs in for them.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 13 2017, 9:48 AM 

I thought counties were moaning about switching between formats when it was a county match during the week and blast on a Friday night.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 13 2017, 12:51 PM 

From the club this morning, for those who have not seen:

The Yorkshire County Cricket Club have sold out of ground tickets for the Vikings’ NatWest T20 Blast fixture against Lancashire Lightning on Friday 11th August at Headingley.

This is the fifth year in a row that the #GameOfRoses has reached capacity, with 2017’s tickets selling out one month prior to the fixture.

The Club have also seen a 34% increase in T20 Season Tickets and saw a record attendance at Headingley outside of a Lancashire Lightning game of 10,137 for last week’s NatWest T20 Blast victory over Notts Outlaws.

Andy Dawson, Yorkshire County Cricket Club Commercial Director said: "We are delighted to announce that next month’s NatWest T20 Blast fixture against Lancashire Lightning is now sold out.

"The response to tickets since the Club went on general sale in March has been phenomenal and we forecast further growth in T20 ticket sales this season.

"For the first time, Yorkshire have comfortably surpassed 1,000 T20 Season Tickets and our junior membership is also showing significant growth.

"Friday nights at Headingley have proved extremely popular over the past couple of seasons and we anticipate another bumper crowd for next Friday’s home fixture against Birmingham Bears."

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 13 2017, 2:17 PM 

Blimey got my two tickets on Tuesday just in nick of time and also £10 a ticket cheaper than a mate going to old Trafford tomorrow

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 13 2017, 9:12 PM 

What a match tonight on Sky. Middlesex did their best to throw a certain win away, then managed to win it.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk